Little Black Book

-Megz-

I don't really have a 'little black book' but i do keep a computer spreadsheets of our results for reference, and more so we remember what has happened when and where.

The only time I put negative results down against a judge is if they are;

rude

extremely rough with the dogs

place me last in my class - after all there is no point going under them again if they dislike my type of dog so much,

and in one situation we had recently a dog was put up for a challenge that went lame in the ring, limping (against a complete line up of other sound dogs) I was not even in the challenge line up but after witnessing it, or even in the same breed (and it wasn't just me, most people that day saw it)but i REFUSE to go under that judge again.

These are the only reasons I could find on my spreadsheet after 12 years of showing, and honestly the rude, rough and blind ones are extremely rare, most judges I find to be fantastic (even if i don't agree with thier decision on the day).

Even though I keep this record, I have accidently entered under judges that I swore I wouldn't again!

I have only felt this way with 2 judges. The first one was because the judge showed absolutely no interest in my breed/dog at all and was more interested in watching the dogs in the next ring, totally disrespectful! The other judge I have blacklisted as they obviously had no idea of of our breed and put up a dog with such outstanding faults it was laughable and that was from a supposed experienced group judge.

I have judges that I won't go under because they take a ridiculous length of time to get through a reasonably small group. A judge that didn't actually LOOK at the dogs (judged them while we were lining up to go into the ring) and a few that have been rough.

There are some judges that I do try and enter under because I value their opinion- I don't always go up under them but I have never left the ring going WTF???

I only have one judge in my black book and that judge is there because they dragged my young giant schnauzer forward by the beard - took me years to get her happy about judges handling her face again without filling her mouth with treats all the time. Same judge was also picking up and dropping the mini schnauzers.

There are other judges I know don't like the same type i have.

If my dog hasn't done well under a judge when it was young, i will give the judge another try when the dog is mature

I do a spreadsheet with all my dogs results - I also write the other main results of my breed ie. who was there, who got the challenges etc. If a judge is rude or rough they get a black mark. If they have no idea what my rare breed is that usually earns them a comment too. If them seem disinterested while judging not only my breed but others too, then I'll usually put something down about that too - why waste your money on a judge that clearly doesn't want to be there.

Have they read the breed standard? Was it the correct one? I had a judge start quoting a breed standard to me - only problem one it wasn't the correct one...sigh....

Do they know what breed they are judging? You might be surprised! I have seen dogs judged and non-awarded as the judge didn;t know what he was judging....

Are they rough - esp with babies? No excuse for this IMO

Do they seem to be judging dogs and not handlers? And we all know that happens....

Do they appear to be judging to a type? If they all over the map in a breed it really makes me wonder whether they have a dog eye....

I also give judges a miss if, for instance, over say 3 or 4 appointments they only pay the same dog for BIG - regardless of how strong a lineup it is.......one judge has openly admitted to me that she is "afraid" not to pay a certain exhibitor if he puts a dog under her.....total madness......

Pretty much the same:

Rough (this is a big strike out)

Didnt bother to even really look at the dogs (if they are watching the other ring rather than you and then hardly put their hands on your (coated) dog - what is the point of being there?)

Rude

Didnt know what the heck breed they were judging (yep, it has happened!)

Comments make it clear that while they think they know the breed, they actually have very little clue (some of the strange ideas and comments have been gob smacking - not even sure where some come from).

Or maybe just aren't fussed with the style of dog I have (I may note this, but it does not mean I won't enter under them again)

Note sometimes you can come away from a loss being a lot happier with the judge and their judging than when you win. Putting me up or down does not mean a judge is necessarily 'in' or 'out' in my book.

If a judge gives consideration to the dogs, I can see what they are doing and/or they explain their reasoning and are polite/pleasant, even if a dog doesnt win, I am happy and feel my dogs have been judged fairly on the day.

I don't have a black book lol I don't do spreadsheets etc either. I rarely show under the same judge twice, might happen more if I lived in the city but the country shows try not to repeat judges too close together and I usually only show one dog at a time. So the judge I went under 5 years ago with my bitch might be back doing this area again but this time I am showing my dog. I do take note of the judges names that do put my breed up for Group or Show awards.

I just go and have fun. Never had a judge be rough on a dog. Been told quite a few times that so and so's dog is going to win BIS, BIG or whatever and it hasn't happened yet :laugh: Have had judges whose eyes glaze over when they see a greyhound in the lineup. I just shrug. Their loss.

Been told so and so judge is #$%^&^%$# but on the day they are actually very nice, funny and obviously like what they are doing.

Showing is my hobby and I try not to take it too seriously. Sometimes I fail, most times I don't (taking it seriously I mean, not win or lose).

Or maybe just aren't fussed with the style of dog I have (I may note this, but it does not mean I won't enter under them again)

Note sometimes you can come away from a loss being a lot happier with the judge and their judging than when you win. Putting me up or down does not mean a judge is necessarily 'in' or 'out' in my book.

If a judge gives consideration to the dogs, I can see what they are doing and/or they explain their reasoning and are polite/pleasant, even if a dog doesnt win, I am happy and feel my dogs have been judged fairly on the day.

^^^

agree totally

and in one situation we had recently a dog was put up for a challenge that went lame in the ring, limping (against a complete line up of other sound dogs) I was not even in the challenge line up but after witnessing it, or even in the same breed (and it wasn't just me, most people that day saw it)but i REFUSE to go under that judge again.

Bit off topic, but was this EXTREMELY recently... if it's the same one I think it is I put the same thing down against that judge.....

I have a terrible memory for names so I keep notes with the relevant pages of the catalogue in a folder.

The notes aren't anything spectacular but I do make a note if I think they'd be good with babies (no matter what results we got) or if they were unreasonably rough (even if we won). If they seem have a specific "thing" I note that too (eg, heads, movement, presentation, etc)

Not going under a judge again depends if you mean with a specific dog, or with any dog. Sometimes it's about the dog, sometimes its about the judge. If a judge clearly doesn't prefer the style of my dog, it's a bit of a waste of time entering that dog again but it might be smart to enter another dog. You have to hope you're improving over time :D

I have a terrible memory for names so I keep notes with the relevant pages of the catalogue in a folder.

The notes aren't anything spectacular but I do make a note if I think they'd be good with babies (no matter what results we got) or if they were unreasonably rough (even if we won). If they seem have a specific "thing" I note that too (eg, heads, movement, presentation, etc)

Not going under a judge again depends if you mean with a specific dog, or with any dog. Sometimes it's about the dog, sometimes its about the judge. If a judge clearly doesn't prefer the style of my dog, it's a bit of a waste of time entering that dog again but it might be smart to enter another dog. You have to hope you're improving over time :D

Hi,

I do exactly the same as SSM......with puppies I'll give the judge a second go with the same dog as an adult.....though if they were clearly off the mark I wont bother......I also troll the DOL results for my breed and keep a note as to the dogs and judges that have gone through group.....sometimes this helps with whether a judge is user friendly to the breed or only putting up a particular type

We keep a running sheet of results for each dog. We will always give a judge 2 chances with each dog, not many on our DO NOT enter list.

One particularly bad experience that has left a lasting memory was a judge grabbing my Std Poodle by his topknot and almost pulling him over, insinuated that it was false! Then for BIG the judge put up a dog that very rarely won a challenge, let alone a class in Grp(not our breed). We were later told that the judge was trying to buy a dog from the breeder. Same judge was reported by another exhibitor for rough handling of their dog.

Few years later, same judge, but had moved states so we missed our blacklist and entered. Only realised on the day, at least we won a CC, then BOB went to the worst groomed dog, ran it for Grp and awarded class in Grp. ( rarely won a CC and never titled). Another old friend of the judge.

I don't really have a 'little black book' but i do keep a computer spreadsheets of our results for reference, and more so we remember what has happened when and where.

The only time I put negative results down against a judge is if they are;

rude

extremely rough with the dogs

place me last in my class - after all there is no point going under them again if they dislike my type of dog so much,

These are the only reasons I could find on my spreadsheet after 12 years of showing, and honestly the rude, rough and blind ones are extremely rare, most judges I find to be fantastic (even if i don't agree with thier decision on the day).

Even though I keep this record, I have accidently entered under judges that I swore I wouldn't again!

I keep a spreadsheet with my dogs results. I include:

* who was entered & results

* whether they were rough or not

* if they seemed more interested in the other ring

* if they addressed certain exhibitors by their name and had a good old chinwag

* any positive/negtative comments made about my dog or breed in general.

* who they put up for BIG/RUBIG

the only other i would add to this list, is when they are not consistent with type,

very difficult at allbreed shows in most breeds ... even in popular breeds ...

If they don't like my type of dogs I don't bother again ...

Hi,

This has also made me think....... that as the results of each show do get sent to the controlling body (in NSW they do) it would be great if the results were available on their website. I would love to see both CC's and all the group awards for each show be it AB, Group or Specialty with also a search facility where you can enter a judges name and see what shows they judged and their results. I know this will never happen.....as they would say too much work.