Sheltie Bi Black Litter

After all the ups and downs with our litter, born 29 Feb 2012, Hamish and Mairi are coming along nicely, albeit that Mairi is going through the daddy long legs stage :rofl: . She is a lot finer in her features than Hamish. They both have great laid back temperaments. The first two photos are Hamish.

post-8234-0-67283800-1340690092_thumb.jpg

post-8234-0-51428700-1340690114_thumb.jpg

post-8234-0-73292500-1340690167_thumb.jpg

Thanks,andrewang,they are known as bi-blacks, i.e. the two colours rather than the tris which have the tan.

The bis are not easy to breed as the bi-factored gene is recessive.

I have been very fortunate that we seem to have a very strong gene in our lines. I have in the last two litters prior to this one had a dog and a bitch. In the first litter we had QLD's first bi-black champion, and Australia's 3rd CH. Unfortunately though our girls tend to go oversize for showing. :mad

Thanks, stans mum. :)

On the left of my siggie is Bree, the mother of this litter, (who had a bi dog and a bi bitch in her first litter) and on the right Odin, her brother, who is the first bi-black Ch. in QLD. :D

They really are quite beautiful dogs. If it wasn't for iggies I could almost be tempted.

The pups are so cute and the dogs in your sig are stunning :love:

I think the dogs in both of your siggies are stunning, hesapandabear and stans mum

Thanks again for your congratulations, stans mum. :) Odin was also only the 3rd bi-black to gain a title in the conformation ring here in Australia, in over 50 years :D

So Bi-black is recognised and registered and can be shown then?

Bi-blacks are recognised and can be shown, just that there have not been many here in Australia. The colour is more popular in North America and Europe.

Bi-blues are also recognised, i.e. the blue merle without the tan. A few have been shown here, but subsequently scratched from the ring as have gone over-size.

Then there is black and tan which is also permissable but I have yet to see a photo of one, let alone in the flesh. :D

Bi-blacks are recognised and can be shown, just that there have not been many here in Australia. The colour is more popular in North America and Europe.

Bi-blues are also recognised, i.e. the blue merle without the tan. A few have been shown here, but subsequently scratched from the ring as have gone over-size.

Then there is black and tan which is also permissable but I have yet to see a photo of one, let alone in the flesh. :D

Is going oversize something that stems from the bi-colour origin or is it something that can occur in all colours and just a bit of bad luck?

Shelties can be very unpredictable with size as a general rule of thumb. e.g. Both bi-black dogs I have bred here been within the size range, Hamish also appears to be doing well, whilst the bitches have gone oversize. :D

I hear you, my girls are all "Amazon Bitches" LOL. I'm just lucky Cavaliers don't have a height restriction as such. :)

:rofl: LIzT, LOVE your description. You are lucky re the cavs. There are a number of sheltie bitches being shown here in QLD who I am sure are oversize, but given they have huge coats it's not too noticeable, whereas my girls don't carry the coat and the judges can see right through them so to speak.

Have you ever seen anything as ugly as this?. :laugh: Odin at four months at his first show, and at a year old. He certainly came into coat. :D

post-8234-0-43796400-1340783209_thumb.jpg

post-8234-0-41246200-1340783440_thumb.jpg

:rofl: LIzT, LOVE your description. You are lucky re the cavs. There are a number of sheltie bitches being shown here in QLD who I am sure are oversize, but given they have huge coats it's not too noticeable, whereas my girls don't carry the coat and the judges can see right through them so to speak.

Have you ever seen anything as ugly as this?. :laugh: Odin at four months at his first show, and at a year old. He certainly came into coat. :D

:laugh: That little "duckie" certainly turned out to be a swan!

Hesapandabear - not sure if you remember me, it has been many years since I have posted on here!

I am sitting here in Amsterdam with my bi-black puppy 'Guinness', born on the 28th of Feb 2012 - just one day apart from your beautiful litter!

I hope everything is going well with you and your beautiful fur-family.

Warmest :)