Getting Pup To Eat Again

Ons

after a bout of gastric

he is 7 weeks old, has now stopped vomiting, we just need to get him interested in food again.

Tried bbq chicken, chicken/rice/egg, scrambled egg, My Dog little tins

He is drinking lectade and Mum will let him have the odd suckle (although she is pretty dry now). Also been giving him some nutrogel which he does not like

Just need to find him that something irrestable to him!

thank you

Mine LOVE Quick Oats (porridge) and Puppy Milk.

It may not be what you would feed them on a permanent basis but I have found it is loved by all puppies & dogs.

It is very easy on the stomach.

we tried cat food, the cats "willingly" gave up one of their little Fancy Feast tins, wouldn't eat it

I will try the Quick Oats - t hanks for that

and thank you for the puppy milk recipe as well, that may well be a great solution

On a positive side, he ate a little bit of ham this afternoon, probably not the best thing for him but he ate it :thumbsup: now I'm keeping a close eye on him to make sure he doesn't throw it up but so far so good :)

he is such a wee little treasure, I really hope he makes it, I just think that if he starts to eat he will :)

and thank you for the puppy milk recipe as well, that may well be a great solution

Once he starts eating it ok, you can start adding some meat/soaked food mixed into it.

I would be cautious about trying too many 'adult foods' at the moment.

Pups have immature stomachs and after a bout of gastro, at 7 weeks of age his system may not be able to handle too much more than 'mums milk' (which it seems he wants).

Basically you are 'restarting' the weaning process.

The only other thing I might add to the leerburg mix in the beginning is some Protexin (probiotic) to help rebalance his system.

When Amber wasn't eating I used a kids version of Ensure to keep her going. The cats and dogs all love it. It is called Pediasure and I got it from Chemists Warehouse. Got the vanilla one obviously!

http://search.pharmacyonline.com.au/ppc/pediasure?utm_source=yahoo&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=pediasure&utm_content=47230688542&utm_campaign=2045319542&OVRAW=Pediasure&OVKEY=pediasure&OVMTC=standard&OVADID=47230688542&OVKWID=569281029042&OVCAMPGID=2045319542&OVADGRPID=21110498930&OVNDID=ND2

thanks everyone :)

good news is that pup decided that eating was good on Saturday evening and all day yesterday and even had breakfast this morning :) just gentle stuff, steamed chicken, yesterday afternoon he had some Fish for Dogs, just a little, and some goats milk.

Mum realises that he is unwell and is letting him feed which is good

Persephone, he was 8% dehydrated when I took him to the vets on WEdnesday afternoon. Her solution was for me to syringe him with lectaid every half hour or so until bedtime and then wake up in the middle of the night and do some more. Good thing was that he actually was drinking lectaid himself.

My housemate and myself did victory dances this morning when he actually pooped a proper poop :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

thank you everyone :) seeing the other pups in the litter died :cry: :cry: :cry: this pup is so special

more solid poops, games with my little griffon are fun for him and his tummy is filling out nicely

I know that we are still not out of the woods but I really feel that we can make it :)

thank you

and every day he gets stronger and stronger :) soooo skinny though and you can feel every rib :( he is growing taller though which is good so I guess that the food is being utilised upwards not outwards.

He even eats on his own now and has a litle variety :) I had visions of him going to live on a property, spending all morning rounding up masses of sheep and then the farmer having to handfeed him his dinner nicely steamed chicken that the farmer's wife had prepared with a little bit of shredded cheese coz that's the only thing that he would eat for a bit and the only way he would eat it :laugh:

somehow though I don't think that this boy is ever going to leave here, far far too special. His Dad is 13 years old.