Incident With Loose Dog Last Night

fuzzy82

Guest lavendergirl

Dogs are allowed to be offleash in their own property.

Not true - only if it is adequately fenced.

Not having a go at you but seriously - how many dog owners here don't know the laws that apply to them? It is very easy for a dog to cross a road to have a go/say hello to another one. It has happened to me a few times.

This is the very reason why dogs get more and more reactive. With every incident the behavior becomes more ingrained. Sure, you can work on making things better, but in order to do that you need to keep your dog below the threshold. With the "don't worry he's friendly" crowd letting their dogs do whatever they want, this is very hard to achieve.

Haredown Whippets - I'm genuinely surprised at the position you've taken. I've always thought you were a stickler for the law.

What law - is the law the same everywhere? Are you an expert on all council laws across Australia?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My statement was that dogs aren't allowed to roam free with no fencing on private property. I stand by that.

I wonder how people would feel if:

i) The dog running around was large and powerful (ie too big to fight off if something happened)

ii) They owned a reactive dog?

Haredown Whippets - I'm genuinely surprised at the position you've taken. I've always thought you were a stickler for the law.

I am. I'm simply unable to identify in this case how a dog barking and running around in circles on its own property is in breach of the law - fence or not. Running around in circles is hardly "rushing" is it? It's not getting any closer to the OP or her dogs.

You can quote the law till the sun don't shine but the reality is that you can't force other dog owners to be responsible, let alone law abiding.

That leaves it up to those of us who have to deal with them to have practical strategies to deal with these situations. I've tried to provide one.

Dogs are allowed to be offleash in their own property.

Not true - only if it is adequately fenced.

Not having a go at you but seriously - how many dog owners here don't know the laws that apply to them? It is very easy for a dog to cross a road to have a go/say hello to another one. It has happened to me a few times.

This is the very reason why dogs get more and more reactive. With every incident the behavior becomes more ingrained. Sure, you can work on making things better, but in order to do that you need to keep your dog below the threshold. With the "don't worry he's friendly" crowd letting their dogs do whatever they want, this is very hard to achieve.

Totally agree. The local law here states that land must be adequately fenced to prevent wandering or escape. However far too many houses here have no front fence or inadequate fencing, so that dogs are free to wander. It's the reason why I no longer walk the streets with my reactive dogs.

I am. I'm simply unable to identify in this case how a dog barking and running around in circles on its own property is in breach of the law - fence or not. Running around in circles is hardly "rushing" is it? It's not getting any closer to the OP or her dogs.

You can quote the law till the sun don't shine but the reality is that you can't force other dog owners to be responsible, let alone law abiding. And in this case, I think reporting the incidents are a total waste of time.

That leaves it up to those of us who have to deal with them to have practical strategies to deal with these situations. I've tried to provide one.

You can quote the law till the sun don't shine but the reality is that you can't force other dog owners to be responsible, let alone law abiding. And in this case, I think reporting the incidents are a total waste of time.

We were still about 30 metres away and across the road when the dog stopped and growled at us. How is it a good idea to keep walking at that point?

To remove yourself and your dogs ..so fluffy has nothing to growl at ,and your dogs have nothing to evoke a response?

I agree the law is that people should have acccess to your front door at all times, Also I thought the law is that dogs must be contained in a fence yard, If outside that fenced yard they must be leashed.

What would of that owner of that offleash dog in its yard have done if it ran up to her dogs and it get badly injured, I bet that owner would blame the owner that had her dogs on lead. Fuzzy did the right thing she had her dogs under controll the other owner did not have any controll at all.

But the dog didn't run up, the dog didn't even leave its yard. That speaks of some kind of control. Also it was being monitored and was not left alone and its hostility quickly subsided into play. Perhaps you should walk your dogs ten minutes later or earlier as it sounds like this lady is letting her dog out to pee and that is all. There is nothing to report here.

Like someone on this thread mentioned cause its a little fluffy dog is alright for it to act this way, But if it was say a rottweiler.pitbull etc people wouldn't allow that type of behaviour. I don't care if it didn't leave the yard, my dogs will not leave the yard either but we don't leave our gates open to give them the option. Even when I take my guys to the oval And I see anoher dog or human 30 meters away I still put my guys back onlead its called respect. NO dog can be 100% reliable,they all have the triggers. All I am saying if it's not allowed by a powerful breed why should the little fluffy dogs get away with it.

But it is allowed by powerful breeds, A man up the road has two mastiffX dogs that follow him around as he does his weeding and what not. I walk by on the other side of the road with my dog and they growl and carry on running up and down, he has no fence but I've been doing it for two years and they've never once left the yard, we even wave to eachother now. He may have an invisible fence but either way they're not running over to me so it's fine. A dog can bark and snarl all it wants on its own property, this lady caught the dog and took it inside, I don't see the problem here?

Like someone on this thread mentioned cause its a little fluffy dog is alright for it to act this way, But if it was say a rottweiler.pitbull etc people wouldn't allow that type of behaviour. I don't care if it didn't leave the yard, my dogs will not leave the yard either but we don't leave our gates open to give them the option. Even when I take my guys to the oval And I see anoher dog or human 30 meters away I still put my guys back onlead its called respect. NO dog can be 100% reliable,they all have the triggers. All I am saying if it's not allowed by a powerful breed why should the little fluffy dogs get away with it.

Agree with above.

If there was no fence the dog could do anything, its not really in its yard is it ?

Its loose on the part of the street that belongs to the house.

If a dog is secure in its own garden/yard behind a fence & cannot get to you its just tough luck if its a noisy, aggressive pain when you walk past but running loose regardless of who owns that bit of land is different. Bet you are glad its not a huge dog. I would hate this if I was out with my dogs.

Guest lavendergirl

I agree the law is that people should have acccess to your front door at all times, Also I thought the law is that dogs must be contained in a fence yard, If outside that fenced yard they must be leashed.

What would of that owner of that offleash dog in its yard have done if it ran up to her dogs and it get badly injured, I bet that owner would blame the owner that had her dogs on lead. Fuzzy did the right thing she had her dogs under controll the other owner did not have any controll at all.

Well any time now someone will come along and tell us what this law is that you are all referring to about having to have a front fence if you have a dog, seriously I would like to know, - apparently it is Australia wide as you are all in different states but seem to be expert in these doggy "laws". I just love it when people refer to things as having to be done "by law". Trouble is in most instances they are a bit vague about which law they are talking about - you know its just "the vibe". :laugh:

Guest donatella

Pretty sure the little dog can carry on how it likes so long as it doesnt rush your dogs or leave its yard.

The moment it does that then you have a case, until then let the dog have it's time outside so long as he's within his parameters, geez.

Well any time now someone will come along and tell us what this law is that you are all referring to about having to have a front fence if you have a dog, seriously I would like to know, - apparently it is Australia wide as you are all in different states but seem to be expert in these doggy "laws". I just love it when people refer to things as having to be done "by law". Trouble is in most instances they are a bit vague about which law they are talking about - you know its just "the vibe". :laugh:

Perhaps have a look at your own local laws. In my area, the local law states that land must be fenced to prevent wandering or escaping - not that many residents comply, nor that it is necessarily enforced.

Pretty sure the little dog can carry on how it likes so long as it doesnt rush your dogs or leave its yard.

The moment it does that then you have a case, until then let the dog have it's time outside so long as he's within his parameters, geez.

Which is all very well and good UNTIL the dog actually leaves its yard, and both the lady owner and OP have to deal with the fallout. Wouldn't it be preferable to avoid an incident in the first place?

There is an overarching rule when it comes to driving a car; that is, you must drive at all times to avoid an incident. This means even if you are in the right, your failure to recognise and adjust for a potential incident can see you on the wrong side of the law, even potentially charged with careless driving.

Applying this to dogs in yards, isn't it the most responsible thing to make every endeavor to avoid/ prevent an incident? If you have no front fence, then my expectation would be effective voice control, or a leash/ long line. I doubt this lady had effective voice control, given her need to chase the dog around to catch it.

No, the OP probably has nothing to report, but that by no means means that there isn't a very appropriate and relevant concern regarding this dogs potential to run out and at dogs walking past.

Edited by LuvsDobes

You think that's the law? Feel free to find it, factoring in that you have variations in domestic animal law between 8 states and territories and that local government law also differs. I suggest you factor in also the presence of the owner.

Speculation is fine - but all the "what ifs" in the world don't change the fact that this has happened twice and the dog has yet to leave the property.

I don't think what this owner is doing is smart or responsible, but the facts as I see them is unless and until the dog leaves the property, Fuzzy doesn't have a lot to report.

Seriously, what's a ranger going to do when the phone call comes in that "a dog barked and ran around in circles in its front yard on the other side of the street when dogs approached"? It's hard enough to get a response to a report of a dog attack. :(

Guest lavendergirl

Perhaps have a look at your own local laws. In my area, the local law states that land must be fenced to prevent wandering or escaping - not that many residents comply, nor that it is necessarily enforced.

No - I am asking people who keep quoting "the law" to tell me which one they are referring to. I don't particularly want to go fishing when so many people obviously know all about it. :D

This is the law relevant to where I live:

It is the Domestic Animal Act 2000 and Section 44 is the relevant section:

Dogs Control of dogs

Dogs in public places to be restrained

A carer must not be in a public place with a dog that is not restrained by a leash, unless the person is in an area designated as an area where dogs are not required to be restrained by a leash.

Maximum penalty: 5 penalty units.

A keeper must not be in a public place with a dog that is not restrained by a leash, unless the person is in an area designated as an area where dogs are not required to be restrained by a leash.

The keeper of a dog commits an offence if the dog—

(a) is in a public place; and (b) is not with a carer.

Subsections (1) and (2) do not apply to a dog that is under the control of a person and is—

(a) in an exercise area declared under section 40 (Declaration— exercise areas); or

(b) a working dog working livestock; or © taking part in—

(i) a dog show, field trial or obedience trial; or (ii) a dramatic performance or other entertainment.

Don't think Fuzzy would get a lot of joy from the law here. :shrug:

Edited by Haredown Whippets

I've got a problem with some people in my suburb, not particularly nice people. They have a 2 foot front fence which doesn't extend across the driveway (there are NO gates). Then on the side, they have a permanently open gate. Right at the back of the house is a small fenced area.

Every morning (and presumably in reverse), they walk either 1 or 2 staffies from the driveway side around to the back of the house (no collars, no leads). They pass the ungated driveway, 2 foot high front fence, open side gate and then go into the fenced part.

Several times I've been walking my dogs on the pavement adjacent to their side fence/open gate when they've come round the corner with the large adult staffy who has rushed the fence - luckily not noticing the gate is open and proceeded to appear extremely dog aggro at my dogs. Yes, some dogs do defend their properties in this manner, I understnad that. My 5 kilo dogs do not respond, they are not posing any threat but are scared witless by this display of aggression. The teenager in charge closes the gate as the dog doubles back to them.

One second earlier, on each occasion and the dog would have come straight through the gate, right at us.

The dog has come out when it saw a small dog crossing the road but luckily the owner called it - I saw it myself.

I've asked them several times to keep the gate closed although this is completely insufficient as they still have the unfenced driveway and 2 foot front fence to content with.

The dogs have no collars on and i've now had to stop walking that way. But why should I? What happens if some innocent person comes along past their drive way when they open their door?

And this is how dogs get mauled or worse. These people do not give a ---t.

Edited by dogmad