Incident With Loose Dog Last Night

fuzzy82

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fuzzy, being the owner of a reactive dog I do understand where you're coming from. Life would be a lot easier if some owners did things differently, even if what they do isn't illegal. I know I personally would be the happiest person on earth if dogs who are reactive/aggressive weren't allowed to be kept in front yards unless they had solid, colourbond style fencing, as the ones in yards with fencing made out of mental poles spaced apart may as well not be behind a fence in terms of how my dog reacts if they are barking and growling. At the end of the day though, their dog is contained and my dog is my problem to manage. I do see why the woman was upset about being approached about her dog though as from her point of view, her dog was on her property and you were on the other side of the road.

It's great that you've worked with your reactive dog to the point that an automatic sit is offered in this sort of situation but it sounds like it was maybe your other dog who was getting worked up in response to the woman's dog? I understand being concerned about the woman's dog rushing off the property at you and it would have worried me too. It would be awful for the situation to have turned in to a fight but you can only control your dog and if your dog is on leash and the other dog rushes it from across the street, you're not liable for what happens (not that anyone wants to see a dog get hurt). I really do think it would have been better to just keep moving or spin and walk in the opposite direction though. I personally think staying where you were increased the risk of the other dog rushing you because it had more time to work itself up in to a state where barking and growling from its property was no longer enough for it. I appreciate what you've said about feeling it would cause more stress for your reactive dog to try and move but it might be worth working on a second strategy beyond the automatic sit that you've conditioned. One thing I've been working on with Justice is being able to either move forward quickly or spin in the opposite direction when I say "let's go" to move away from a reactive situation before he has time to escalate. In a situation like the one you faced, this would also minimise how long the woman's dog had to get worked up and decide to leave her property. Of course, there's always the chance it may have done so anyway but whether you were still or moving, the result would have been the same. It's something to think about anyway.

Yes, it was actually. My non-reactive dog (supposedly) was the one that went over the top, which is why I picked her up. It's worth noting that the first night it happned the dogs didn't really react to it, they sort of perked up and looked interested, but that was it. It was only the second night that they decided to get crazy over it.

My dog don't generally have any issues with other dogs as long as they keep their distance. We walk past several houses every single day where there are dogs barking at us from behind fences. The dogs don't even look. A couple of weeks ago we walked past a house, on the same side of the road, and there was a maltese on a long line running around out the front of the house playing with two kids, as well as a group of adults standing right at the footpath chatting. The dogs barely even glanced at them.

So I'm not sure why this particular dog is such a big deal, just one of those things I guess.

Poodle x maltese, which is the non-reactive one. And she's not yappy, she might alert bark ONCE at things, but barking more than once at anything has only happened mayve twice in her life, so barking 3 times a the loose dog was really weird.

The other one is a JRT x, he's the one who used to be quite reactive.

What's to say there wasn't an inground fence containment system set up? The dog never left it property on either night. The owner was abiding all laws and you are the one with the reactive, barking dog who harassed her about her own dog on her own property.

Edited by Parkeyre

I hardly "harassed" her. That comment suggests you haven't read anything I've said.

And yes, I can pick them up, but why should I have to? My dogs were on leash and under control, other than a few barks from one of them, which was completely out of character and thus couldn't have been predicted or prevented, but once she did bark I picked her up and got her under control.

It's not a matter of "why should I?" but more "why not?" I think you're mountaining those molehills. I don't see what your issue is, a dog barked at yours, stayed where it was then played with its owner. I don't get what you're wanting to report?

Pretty sure the little dog can carry on how it likes so long as it doesnt rush your dogs or leave its yard.

The moment it does that then you have a case, until then let the dog have it's time outside so long as he's within his parameters, geez.

Not just aimed at you donatella but everyone that has made this comment.

Why the hell would you take a risk with your own dog in this situation by going past- Even a little dog can do a fair amount of damage it it bites in the right place, let alone psychological damage to the dog AND the human. We had a thread not long ago about how to deal with dog attacks and I do think the attitude that while it sits within an inch of being within the law then we should ignore the problem. Even though it is quite clear that this particular dog is not under effective voice control and is reactive (based on the OP's description of it barking).

I always think of dog ownership as a privileged that shouldn't be a burden on others- it means I pick up dog poop, move off the path if someone less mobile is coming along and generally try to keep my dogs as inconspicuous as possible. I doubt the OP would have noticed or cared if the dog in question were not reactive- but it was.

So the question I would like to pose is it ok for a reactive dog to be uncontrolled with nothing to stop it accessing the public?? I personally don't believe that is OK regardless of the law- its just common sense!! I would report it- if nothing else so that the ranger can educate the woman on her responsibilities and her liability if the dog were to leave the property.

Pretty sure the little dog can carry on how it likes so long as it doesnt rush your dogs or leave its yard.

The moment it does that then you have a case, until then let the dog have it's time outside so long as he's within his parameters, geez.

Not just aimed at you donatella but everyone that has made this comment.

Why the hell would you take a risk with your own dog in this situation by going past- Even a little dog can do a fair amount of damage it it bites in the right place, let alone psychological damage to the dog AND the human. We had a thread not long ago about how to deal with dog attacks and I do think the attitude that while it sits within an inch of being within the law then we should ignore the problem. Even though it is quite clear that this particular dog is not under effective voice control and is reactive (based on the OP's description of it barking).

I always think of dog ownership as a privileged that shouldn't be a burden on others- it means I pick up dog poop, move off the path if someone less mobile is coming along and generally try to keep my dogs as inconspicuous as possible. I doubt the OP would have noticed or cared if the dog in question were not reactive- but it was.

So the question I would like to pose is it ok for a reactive dog to be uncontrolled with nothing to stop it accessing the public?? I personally don't believe that is OK regardless of the law- its just common sense!! I would report it- if nothing else so that the ranger can educate the woman on her responsibilities and her liability if the dog were to leave the property.

Well said.

It's turning into America in here. lol

But seriously the dog DIDN'T DO ANYTHING!

No America still has Pitbulls :( - Australia is its own kind of crazy due to people thinking dog ownership is a right and they don't have to be considerate of others.

If anyone was considerate it was the lady catching her dog and putting it inside, not someone going up to her in her own yard and telling her to leash her dog on her own property when it never left the yard. This whole thing is ridiculous imho. If it had have rushed out it would be different, but it didn't and quickly forgot about your dogs. A ranger would completely ignore this complaint.

If anyone was considerate it was the lady catching her dog and putting it inside, not someone going up to her in her own yard and telling her to leash her dog on her own property when it never left the yard. This whole thing is ridiculous imho. If it had have rushed out it would be different, but it didn't and quickly forgot about your dogs. A ranger would completely ignore this complaint.

But why are we waiting for this dog to rush in a climate where we already have silly laws?? When I go for a walk I don't want to have to deal with a dog fence running- yup thats even when I am not walking my dog. Also there have been dogs in their yards where I have crossed the road because their body language has been very off. These dogs shouldn't have free access to the road for their own safety let alone mine!!

(I would also say that if the lady went to try and catch her dog there was a reason for it...... Most people who have unreactive/reliable dogs just wave me past- its the ones who attempt to catch their dog that worry me the most)

(I would also say that if the lady went to try and catch her dog there was a reason for it...... Most people who have unreactive/reliable dogs just wave me past- its the ones who attempt to catch their dog that worry me the most)

maybe she was worried the other dogs might get off their leads and rush hers?

What a mountain out of a molehill this is. Dog was in yard, made no attempt to leave yard, all it did was bark and do zoomies. The OP's dogs also barked. So what.

Guest donatella

What a mountain out of a molehill this is. Dog was in yard, made no attempt to leave yard, all it did was bark and do zoomies. The OP's dogs also barked. So what.

Completely agree!

And why would the lady in her yard have her dog unleashed in an unfenced area if she didn't have some confidence that the dog wouldn't stay in the yard.

I would never have mine in an unfenced yard near a road as I don't have complete trust in her and her road sense/recall so for this lady to even have brought the little dog out the front must mean they probably do it often and the dog stays within its parameters.

Completely agree!

And why would the lady in her yard have her dog unleashed in an unfenced area if she didn't have some confidence that the dog wouldn't stay in the yard.

I would never have mine in an unfenced yard near a road as I don't have complete trust in her and her road sense/recall so for this lady to even have brought the little dog out the front must mean they probably do it often and the dog stays within its parameters.

Unless there is adequate fencing or restraint, I don't understand how someone can be confident the dog would stay in the yard. Some people have an attitude of 'my dog won't go anywhere' and don't understand that, one day, the dog just might.

Someone that used to live in my street would frequently let her maltese and jrt out in the unfenced front yard to toilet. One day when I was driving down the street, a cat happened to run across the road and the maltese took off after it, straight under the front of my car. Her dog that 'never went on the road' was very nearly killed. And this is a very quiet, no through road. The maltese was fine by the way, but why take the risk.

Guest donatella

Completely agree!

Unless there is adequate fencing or restraint, I don't understand how someone can be confident the dog would stay in the yard. Some people have an attitude of 'my dog won't go anywhere' and don't understand that, one day, the dog just might.

Someone that used to live in my street would frequently let her maltese and jrt out in the unfenced front yard to toilet. One day when I was driving down the street, a cat happened to run across the road and the maltese took off after it, straight under the front of my car. Her dog that 'never went on the road' was very nearly killed. And this is a very quiet, no through road. The maltese was fine by the way, but why take the risk.

Because if that's a risk the owner wants to take, on their property, then they are entitled too. I still don't see laws whereby your dog can't be unleashed on it's own property.