Incident With Loose Dog Last Night

fuzzy82

My dogs are always out in my unfenced front yard with me. If you told me to leash my dogs on my own property I'd tell you to f### off as well. Perhaps if you'd politely apporached me to discuss your concerns I'd be more accommodating, but ordering someone to do something they are under no legal obligation to do is ridiculous.

They are legally obliged to in Queensland where this incident happened. But there is no law against standing on your front lawn and swearing like a bogan.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dogs are always out in my unfenced front yard with me. If you told me to leash my dogs on my own property I'd tell you to f### off as well. Perhaps if you'd politely apporached me to discuss your concerns I'd be more accommodating, but ordering someone to do something they are under no legal obligation to do is ridiculous.

They are legally obliged to in Queensland where this incident happened. But there is no law against standing on your front lawn and swearing like a bogan.

It's only a matter of time in Queensland.

:laugh:

This is an extract from the Brisbane City Council website:

"Fencing and shelter

A part of caring for your dog is ensuring that it has a safe, secure environment in which to live. Constructing an adequate fence around your property protects both your dog and your neighbourhood. Remember, this is a Council requirement. Failure to provide adequate confinement could result in a fine."

So if Fuzzy is in the Brisbane City Council area then she may be able to report based on this. I would be interested though Fuzzy if you did report what level of importance they placed on your complaint as the dog did not leave the boundary?

I'm in Moreton Bay council. I didn't end up reporting it, I figured as most of you said that there was nothing to report, and also we haven't seen her again. If we do see her I will still pick my poodle x up, for some reason she's being really reactive lately (have to do some work on that) and leave my other one on the ground and just keep walking. Her problem if she can't control her dog.

If we do see her I will still pick my poodle x up, for some reason she's being really reactive lately (have to do some work on that) and leave my other one on the ground and just keep walking. Her problem if she can't control her dog.

:thumbsup:

So are you saying that never, under any circumstances (including fright such as backfiring car engine, thunder etc) will your dogs leave your front yard?

What sort of dogs do you have? I don't believe there is one dog that will always be 100% reliable. I've read about a person's Border Collie - 100% reliable according to the owner, until the day it suddenly ran out in front of a car because it believed it saw someone it knew across the road - it died. There's something to be learned from that.

So are you saying that never, under any circumstances (including fright such as backfiring car engine, thunder etc) will your dogs leave your front yard?

What sort of dogs do you have? I don't believe there is one dog that will always be 100% reliable. I've read about a person's Border Collie - 100% reliable according to the owner, until the day it suddenly ran out in front of a car because it believed it saw someone it knew across the road - it died. There's something to be learned from that.

I'd rather take my very slim chances than live in a bubble. Each to their own, I guess.

I'd rather take my very slim chances than live in a bubble. Each to their own, I guess.

So long as you're clear that you're not actually taking any chances, your dog is. You're risking the life of a creature unable to make that choice for itself.

I also let them run loose at offleash parks with other dogs. They occasionally swim with at the beach where they could drown or be eaten by a shark. Sometimes they jump over hurdles and risk injuring themselves landing incorrectly.

If only there could be more legislation to prevent such dangerous activities.

It also affects the person driving the car if the dog is hit. Not that long ago I was trying to convince a woman, who had hit a dog that had bolted from its yard onto the road, that it wasn't her fault. The poor dog was injured, she was just devastated, and her poor young son who was also in car was in tears. All of which could have been prevented if this person had contained their dog.

I guess it depends on whether you live on a busy street, but personally I don't think I'd be taking the chance? It's so easy to get a fence, even it is cheap and doesn't look the best. I don't understand why you would take the risk when there is a simple solution. Fencing your front yard is hardly "living in a bubble"

I've seen many hit by car dogs at work, most of the time the owners are shocked and say that their dog never does that (run onto the road).

Regardless of the legalities of having a dog on an unfenced property, I think it is pretty irresponsible to have a dog that barks at people or other dogs in your front yard, unfenced with free access to public property. How are people or dogs to know if the dog is under control or won't come out to attack them? Running around chasing the dog or letting the dog do zoomies doesn't exactly inspire confidence that the dog is under control.

It also affects the person driving the car if the dog is hit. Not that long ago I was trying to convince a woman, who had hit a dog that had bolted from its yard onto the road, that it wasn't her fault. The poor dog was injured, she was just devastated, and her poor young son who was also in car was in tears. All of which could have been prevented if this person had contained their dog.

The damage to the people in the car might not just be emotional. They, or their passengers, could be killed or seriously injured, especially if they swerve to avoid a dog which would be many people's reflex action. :(

The council area that i live in makes it illegal for a dog to rush someone, even behind a fence. It is most certainly illegal to have a dog unleashed in the front yard with no fence and i'm pretty sure its illegal to have a dog unleashed in the front yard full stop.

I would definately report this person. You are in the right IMO, your dogs were onleash and under control, even if they were barking/growling/lunging. The other dog was not. End of story IMO.

The OP's dogs bark and lunge on lead, someone walking past could report them as well.

Next time don't stop... move on and don't give your dogs that chance to wind up. The other dog did not leave the yard and you were on the other side of the street? move on.

<br />I guess it depends on whether you live on a busy street, but personally I don't think I'd be taking the chance? It's so easy to get a fence, even it is cheap and doesn't look the best. I don't understand why you would take the risk when there is a simple solution. Fencing your front yard is hardly "living in a bubble"<br /><br />I've seen many hit by car dogs at work, most of the time the owners are shocked and say that their dog never does that (run onto the road). <br /><br />Regardless of the legalities of having a dog on an unfenced property, I think it is pretty irresponsible to have a dog that barks at people or other dogs in your front yard, unfenced with free access to public property. How are people or dogs to know if the dog is under control or won't come out to attack them? Running around chasing the dog or letting the dog do zoomies doesn't exactly inspire confidence that the dog is under control.<br />

Yes, it's very easy to get a front fence ... as long as your council allows you to have one.

So long as you're clear that you're not actually taking any chances, your dog is. You're risking the life of a creature unable to make that choice for itself.

I also let them run loose at offleash parks with other dogs. They occasionally swim with at the beach where they could drown or be eaten by a shark. Sometimes they jump over hurdles and risk injuring themselves landing incorrectly.

If only there could be more legislation to prevent such dangerous activities.

A completely fatuous remark and actually irrelevant. The question I asked you is can your dogs leave your front yard? Yes - they can rush at people, dogs, cars passing by - then you'll be breaking the law and perhaps your dog will be injured or killed. Zero out of 10 on the scale of being a good dog owner. Decent people consider others in everything they do, simple as that.

<br />I guess it depends on whether you live on a busy street, but personally I don't think I'd be taking the chance? It's so easy to get a fence, even it is cheap and doesn't look the best. I don't understand why you would take the risk when there is a simple solution. Fencing your front yard is hardly "living in a bubble"<br /><br />I've seen many hit by car dogs at work, most of the time the owners are shocked and say that their dog never does that (run onto the road). <br /><br />Regardless of the legalities of having a dog on an unfenced property, I think it is pretty irresponsible to have a dog that barks at people or other dogs in your front yard, unfenced with free access to public property. How are people or dogs to know if the dog is under control or won't come out to attack them? Running around chasing the dog or letting the dog do zoomies doesn't exactly inspire confidence that the dog is under control.<br />

Yes, it's very easy to get a front fence ... as long as your council allows you to have one.

Good point, but I guess in that case it is just as easy, perhaps even easier to get a long line and clip it onto your dog when you go out in the front yard. Or at the very least ensure that it comes when it is called (easier said than done I guess...)