Ankc No Longer Recognising Flyball Titles

Jumabaar

With not a single flyballer it seems prepared to assist said Board members by getting invovled on the ANKC side of things, what did you genuinely expect to happen.

I am a flyballer and I am prepared to assist board members and get involved on the ANKC side of things. Where do I sign up? Wait. Dogs NSW won't even deal with me as a single flyballer. I get a standard, generic response that doesn't answer any of my queries.

Dogs NSW has had my membership for two years without me entering a single thing but flyball. Now I enter more than that but up until Rally was introduced, my sole reason for membership with Dogs NSW was flyball. You can't tell me that Dogs NSW hasn't profited off people like me.

You are talking about a sport we love and an organisation that up until now we have staunchly defended HW.

Personally, I don't care if it's an ANKC or AFA sanctioned flyball comp - I am a member of both organisations and I will happily enter either one, but for that to happen, the ANKC would actually have to hold an event. As they don't seem to be prepared to do that, I will fight for the AFA's events to be recognised by the ANKC.

Edited by ~*Shell*~

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't commenting with regard to flyball. I was commenting with regard to the ANKC and its state member bodies.

The ANKC and the state bodies are important for the continued promotion of pure-bred dogs (and dogs generally) and dogs activities in Australia. They are also important for promoting dog welfare in Australia and providing a central point for the canine community to focus around so taht it stays a community.

My disappointment is not just with the flyball issue, but in general.

If you running a business and you lose half your annual sales over a period, you do something about it. the ANKC and its affiliates aren't doing anything, they seem happy to just fade away. They have almost zero public profile.

This isn't good for the future of dogs in Australia.

The flyball situation is just an example of a market the ANKC was given a golden ticket to enter and have a red hot go at taking over and they completely failed to even make the attempt. That is why I am disappointed with them.

If they have issues with time etc, well there is a huge body of members out there who might be able to help. I am yet to see the Dogs NSW ever ask its members for any assistance with managing the organisation.

if they have issues with money there are a million different ways to get more. I don't see any serious sponsorship income on the Dogs NSW financial reports. They hold a few shows a year and appear to make money out of them, so why not hold more. Why can't I upgrade my title certificates to printed aluminium or have them framed, up selling is always a good money spinner. I know DogsNSW have mechanise available, but they don't have an on-line store to buy it at (edit: they do, it's just hidden away and rather unfriendly). I assume Ozentires makes money, there is nothing stopping Dogs NSW providing the service, integrating it with current member services and making that money instead. Why cant I submit my title applications on-line and have them auto processed, saving on staffing costs etc. etc. etc.

If your even a little bit creative you can find 100s of ways to improve service to members while also making more money so that you can do more things so you can get more members, so you can make more money, so you can do more things...

The only thing that is guaranteed NOT to work is doing what you've always done...

Edited by StarLapyz

Personally, I don't care if it's an ANKC or AFA sanctioned flyball comp - I am a member of both organisations and I will happily enter either one, but for that to happen, the ANKC would actually have to hold an event. As they don't seem to be prepared to do that, I will fight for the AFA's events to be recognised by the ANKC.

The ANKC doesn't hold events, clubs do. Dogs NSW representative committees hold things like State Titles and a few committtees like DWD and Earthdog old a few normal trials.

Has anyone asked Dogs NSW to include flyball in one of its committees?

If the ANKC is regarded so poorly by flyball people why is it so important to have an ANKC title?

Many clubs exist pre afiliation with the ANKC and hold events of their own and issue titles under their own banner. Unless a flyball club or other club that caters for flyball goes through the recognised process to become ANKC afiliated then I cannot see any reason why it would be expected that the titles would be recognised by the ANKC.

If there was an agreement between AFA and ANKC that has ceased to exist then that matter needs to be adressed and something worked out. I agree if the ANKC is not prepared to offer a reason as to why this agreement has ceased to exist then that is unreasonable, however, expressing opinons on this forum will not solve that issue and this is as much down to the AFA as to the ANKC. No one seems to really know the true reason for the breakdown of the previous agreement, as I recall someone at the beginnig of this thread stated that "from what they had heard on another list/forum insurance was the issue......from what I have heard in my book does not mean this is correct.

The ANKC is a curious beast, as has been said, no direct contact is able to be made and it does in fact exist as an overseer. Personally I believe all state controls should be scrapped and we should all be under the admiinstrative banner of the ANKC with universal rules. But we are not. I also think it would be terrific if the ANKC promoted all dog activities but it rightly or wrongly is not set up to do that.

If one interested person cannot get a response from Dogs NSW then a more pro active stance needs to be taken. Organise a deputation of many people to approach not only Dogs NSW but the other controlling bodies and work to gain their assistance.

The ANKC title is important so that it can be recorded on the pedigree.

But you cannot expect a title gained under an unafilliated body to be recognised on the pedigree. That is the pitfall of participating in an activity that is not offically sanctioned.

While i agree, to a point, that the State CCs dont do enough to promote their sports and their organisations, I still fail to see how this particular issue is just the fault of the ANKC... or why they should have promoted it based on the information given about the clubs going through AFA to run trials.

When Rally was starting up, it was totally out there, many people, particularly in obedience circles, knew about it, and it was talked about. It was talked about as the next thing you could do with your dog particularly if you couldn't/didn't want to compete in traditional obedience. The ANKC didn't promote it like this - the people who wanted it up and running did. This was a NATIONAL effort, and you only have to search DOL to see how many threads were started and how much interest was generated by people putting in the effort. The driver behind rally was that it was another sport that could be done with your dog, and that you could gain titles. There is no one body that promotes it, no one association that runs it - clubs take it on because it was well promoted by those who put in the hard work to get it out there and pushed it through ANKC.

There is barely a whisper of Flyball in WA. The only time I've heard about it is when it was talked about in the distant past (PAL superdog team used to do it in shopping centres around 15-20 years ago), or when the occasional person asks about it and whether anyone does it in WA, to which people respond that there is no one here with enough interest to drive it in the state.

Does the mission statement of the AFA say they will promote the sport? because if they do, then they are also going against their statements and I dare say, they are in a better position to push the sport than the ANKC is.

If ALL of the work has been done with agreements on rules etc, then that work doesn't need to be done. Perhaps the AFA could concentrate on giving it the same level of publicity to get it up and running in every state, get people excited about it, so that when the time comes to re-submit, the interest of the members of the CCs, who want to try Flyball, will be behind the AFA and the clubs that wish to run flyball trials. People will push for their clubs to run the trials, the AFA can become affiliated and also run trials, but clubs can run them directly through the ANKC also. Is the AFA willing to relinquish control of the sport so that clubs can run it nationally and the sport gets the recognition it deserves?

ETA: I do believe, btw, that this sport does deserve some good publicity. I watched the sport at Crufts and the excitement it generates is huge. General public love to watch it and cheer on the dogs. This type of sport could actually really help to promote dogs, dog sports etc. It would be a benefit for the ANKC to be involved... however, it's a matter of getting it to that level where it could be promoted australia wide, that I believe should lie with those who want it to succeed.

Edited by SparkyTansy

But you cannot expect a title gained under an unafilliated body to be recognised on the pedigree. That is the pitfall of participating in an activity that is not offically sanctioned.

Much like one of my dogs CGC 'title'.

But up until the 30th of June 2012 it WAS a sanctioned sport!!! There was no warning given by the ANKC that this was going to happen- as far as I personally knew the AFA had dealt with the latest issue so I thought (I am sure most people thought) that the agreement would role over since nothing had change since the last time it was looked at.......

Edited by Jumabaar

I don't mind either way, having the AFA and ANKC tied hasn't done anything for me.

I've barely given it a second thought until now as I would have liked my girl to have at least one title officially recognized so they could have given us warning and time to send in applications. That being said I still list her everywhere as having the title and even put in on entries (show and performance) and it does show up in the catalogue.

Must be extremely disappointing for those who worked hard to get the ANKC to recognize titles to begin with though :(

Titles earned before July 1 will be (should be) recognised according to DogsNSW so send them in.

Does it say that anywhere?

From what I've read on the website, it comes across as titles that have been applied for and granted will remain but no further titles (regardless of when the dog received them) will be issued.

Adding the titles to a pedigree ensures that everyone who is coming behind and considering a dog for breeding into the future can see the qualification and take that into account when deciding on which dog to use.

Fact is you can go out and get any qualification you want but only those which the ANKC recognise will be added to the pedigree system

At the moment they are not recogising these ones so the only way you can do anything about that is to play by their rules and do as they say - because they wont change the rules just for you. Or you can use another registry to enable others who want to access the info into the future to add the qualifications which doesn't have the same criteria for the info to be added.

Not sure the purpose of this post Steve?

Not asking them to change the rules for me? :confused:

I don't mind either way, having the AFA and ANKC tied hasn't done anything for me.

I've barely given it a second thought until now as I would have liked my girl to have at least one title officially recognized so they could have given us warning and time to send in applications. That being said I still list her everywhere as having the title and even put in on entries (show and performance) and it does show up in the catalogue.

Must be extremely disappointing for those who worked hard to get the ANKC to recognize titles to begin with though :(

Titles earned before July 1 will be (should be) recognised according to DogsNSW so send them in.

Does it say that anywhere?

From what I've read on the website, it comes across as titles that have been applied for and granted will remain but no further titles (regardless of when the dog received them) will be issued.

Adding the titles to a pedigree ensures that everyone who is coming behind and considering a dog for breeding into the future can see the qualification and take that into account when deciding on which dog to use.

Fact is you can go out and get any qualification you want but only those which the ANKC recognise will be added to the pedigree system

At the moment they are not recogising these ones so the only way you can do anything about that is to play by their rules and do as they say - because they wont change the rules just for you. Or you can use another registry to enable others who want to access the info into the future to add the qualifications which doesn't have the same criteria for the info to be added.

Not sure the purpose of this post Steve?

Not asking them to change the rules for me? :confused:

It was posted by Dogs NSW on their FB page. There is some clarification happening regarding the date that you earned the points vs the date that the AFA issues your certificate needing to be before July 1st (due to the backlog of points being processed). But any certificate dated prior to the 1st July SHOULD be honoured since it was earned while the sport was still officially sanctioned.

I am yet to hear ANY argument put forward by the ANKC that cannot be satisfied by using simple logic. And if the insurance hasn't changed since the original agreement and the insurance is the same as held by dogs nsw, how can there be a problem now?

Dogs NSW has always said that flyball competitions won't be held at Erskine Park grounds mainly I was told because of insurance issues.

Flyball demo's have been held at Erskine Park.

As far as I know, no one has ever asked to host a comp there.

Interesting observation.

It was posted by Dogs NSW on their FB page. There is some clarification happening regarding the date that you earned the points vs the date that the AFA issues your certificate needing to be before July 1st (due to the backlog of points being processed). But any certificate dated prior to the 1st July SHOULD be honoured since it was earned while the sport was still officially sanctioned.

Thanks for that, I went and had a look and will print Dogs NSW comments out in case I need them if Dogs Vic doesn't honour it.

The AFA has added a few comps points to my dogs (as we had an issue of wrong CRN at comps), so she has enough points so I will send it off tomorrow :)

Thanks Jumabaar

State bodies barely do any promotion of pedigree dogs and of direct members and yet you expect them to fork out to promote something that is merely affiliated. Your expectations are rather high for something that barely crosses the radar for most dog people. How is the AFA promoting its own sport? I see nothing that promotes flyball at all.

Edit: ping Haredown Whippets.

Why is it okay that they 'barely do any promotion of pedigree dogs and of direct members'. Why does everyone see this as OKAY and is happy to accept it?

You'll note I didn't say it's okay nor that it's accepted. Any thread about oodles will contain any number of complaints on this point.

Any promotion depends on a number of things:

1. Money.

2. Organisational structure.

3. Those involved in said organisation.

4. People willing to swallow their pride and cooperate.

5. In an organisation that relies on volunteers, goodwill and time.

Even now there are pedigree dog people who do not believe that they should do anything to promote pedigree dogs even at a personal level. Do you think the promotion of flyball should be reliant on people who can't be bothered to get up and fight for pedigree dogs?

State bodies barely do any promotion of pedigree dogs and of direct members and yet you expect them to fork out to promote something that is merely affiliated. Your expectations are rather high for something that barely crosses the radar for most dog people. How is the AFA promoting its own sport? I see nothing that promotes flyball at all.

Why is it okay that they 'barely do any promotion of pedigree dogs and of direct members'. Why does everyone see this as OKAY and is happy to accept it?

You'll note I didn't say it's okay nor that it's accepted. Any thread about oodles will contain any number of complaints on this point.

1. Money.

Even now there are pedigree dog people who do not believe that they should do anything to promote pedigree dogs even at a personal level. Do you think the promotion of flyball should be reliant on people who can't be bothered to get up and fight for pedigree dogs?

I think the flyball community is rallying behind this. As an aside flyball promotes itself to the community (I do believe the AFA membership is on the rise while ANKC membership appears to me to be going down).

A quick run down of what a grass roots member of the AFA has been involved in to promote the sport.....

The AFA was involved in the World Dog Games a few years ago, goes to the sydeny pet expo when its on, has a presence of most of the 'dog days outs' in NSW either as a Demo or an actual comp. We have comps at the Sydney royal (4 days of competition, and 3 demo days plus a demo in the main arena and we have a great area right near the gates so everyone gets to see us at sydney :thumbsup: ) and I think some of the other states do comps and or demo's at their main agricultural shows. I know we also have a comps for a few Agricultural shows. At all these events we have sprukers that are constantly (and I mean CONSTANTLY after 4 days at the royal) telling people to come and talk to members about getting involved because flyball is the sport for every dog.

AND for most small events we can put together a demo team (usually people with beginner dogs who want some exposure and bring our racing dogs with us) within a few weeks, not the 5mths that it takes DogsNSW to plan.

Part of the selection criteria for our nationals is for it to be tied in with a big event- this year it was canberra royal, last year sydney royal, next years is with the Dandenong show (no idea how big that one is lol). We usually make it into the papers for our nationals, go on morning TV shows etc.

It is the amount of enthusiasm that I think the ANKC missed out on harnessing. It probably wouldn't have taken much effort at all on the part of the ANKC or its member bodies to actually engage with its members involved in flyball to end up with a very solid sport and a group of people that are very active and committed to keeping the enthusiasm running.

I have also pulled out my flyball dog during lunch breaks to put on obedience and agility demos at the community pet events when the local members haven't shown up- so I certainly know a fair bit about apathy. Doesn't mean I am not going to try and use some enthusiasm to get the ball rolling with other people too.

PS if anyone one wants any info about their local flyball club email the AFA secretary at [email protected] :happydance::dancingelephant:

1. Money.

I think the flyball community is rallying behind this. As an aside flyball promotes itself to the community (I do believe the AFA membership is on the rise while ANKC membership appears to me to be going down).

A quick run down of what a grass roots member of the AFA has been involved in to promote the sport.....

The AFA was involved in the World Dog Games a few years ago, goes to the sydeny pet expo when its on, has a presence of most of the 'dog days outs' in NSW either as a Demo or an actual comp. We have comps at the Sydney royal (4 days of competition, and 3 demo days plus a demo in the main arena and we have a great area right near the gates so everyone gets to see us at sydney :thumbsup: ) and I think some of the other states do comps and or demo's at their main agricultural shows. I know we also have a comps for a few Agricultural shows. At all these events we have sprukers that are constantly (and I mean CONSTANTLY after 4 days at the royal) telling people to come and talk to members about getting involved because flyball is the sport for every dog.

AND for most small events we can put together a demo team (usually people with beginner dogs who want some exposure and bring our racing dogs with us) within a few weeks, not the 5mths that it takes DogsNSW to plan.

Part of the selection criteria for our nationals is for it to be tied in with a big event- this year it was canberra royal, last year sydney royal, next years is with the Dandenong show (no idea how big that one is lol). We usually make it into the papers for our nationals, go on morning TV shows etc.

It is the amount of enthusiasm that I think the ANKC missed out on harnessing. It probably wouldn't have taken much effort at all on the part of the ANKC or its member bodies to actually engage with its members involved in flyball to end up with a very solid sport and a group of people that are very active and committed to keeping the enthusiasm running.

I have also pulled out my flyball dog during lunch breaks to put on obedience and agility demos at the community pet events when the local members haven't shown up- so I certainly know a fair bit about apathy. Doesn't mean I am not going to try and use some enthusiasm to get the ball rolling with other people too.

PS if anyone one wants any info about their local flyball club email the AFA secretary at [email protected] :happydance::dancingelephant:

Don't forget about the Purina Sponsorship with the AFA.

1. Money.

That's great promotion to the general public... in NSW/ACT - what about the other states in Australia? what has been done also to get other clubs and individualsinterested and involved that are already within the dog community?

1. Money.

That's great promotion to the general public... in NSW/ACT - what about the other states in Australia? what has been done also to get other clubs and individualsinterested and involved that are already within the dog community?

Similar activities occur in Tas, SA, VIC and QLD. Looking at the flyball website I can see there is a Demo and an indoor comp happening at Melbourne Royal. I can't comment on the specifics of other states and exactly where they are involved- but I do see a lot of demos popping up for other states. There have been a few attempts to get a WA team up and running but it is really hard without experienced dogs in the mix to get solid passing etc.

The AFA also brings over an international judge for our Nationals- and our National draw is done for us in the US. There have also been trainers who have taken their own time to fly interstate to help out new clubs.

ETA- once a club joins the AFA there is also a starter pack sent out to the new club with as much info and assistance that they can provide. We have also had people wanting to form clubs in other areas come to our training session so they can take it back to their club. This happens in other states too.

Edited by Jumabaar

Victoria is similar. Most of our comps are also in conjunction with agricultural shows, so we get heaps of spectators and there is usually someone commentating as well so the public know what the hell is going on :p

There are also several demo's held throughout the year at smaller shows and events, this includes the Royal and Pet Expo.

This year there will be a competition held at the Royal for the first time and I expect the crowd to be huge, agility usually draws a crowd but flyball has a competition aspect where people can cheer on individual dogs or the team.

As Jumabaar said, our Nationals are held with other big events. Dandenong show (for the Nationals next year) is a pretty big show and always get a massive crowd!

I know SA, do alot of demo's throughout the year to gain more interest and have increased to several teams. Same as Tasmania who got enough people involved to send across I think 2? teams last year, it was their first ever comp :D

Edited by tollersowned