Pumpkin Allergy?!

I swear little (not so little anymore, he is almost 12 months now!) Arby thinks up ways to get to go to the Vet, he loves going there, he loves the ladies and the vets, the dried liver treats, all the other animals. (In half seriousness, i know he's not doing it on purpose!)

Wedesday night Arby wanted to go out to poop, so i took him out, it was very runny but not actually much poop. He strained to go a couple more times but nothing came out. He ate most of his dinner, but not all (which is unusual for him)

Thursday i fasted him for 24 hours, so no breakfast and made him up a dinner at 6pm of boiled chicken breast, white rice and some steamed pumpkin i mashed up as i heard that was good for firming up the stool. He has had the rice and chicken before with upset tum's and never had a problem. The pumpkin is new however. Still got the runs later that night. We went to bed about 10 and he woke me up at 1:30 to be let out to poop (still runny, and not much in volume)(he sleeps on the bed with me). And OMG the poor little chap has a bunch of hives on one side of his body and a few on his tummy. They are itchy! I know there were none there when we went to bed as he gave me puppy cuddles while i patted his tummy hoping it'd make him feel just a bit better.

This morning he got breakfast of just the chicken and rice. I went home at lunch for a "poop hunt" to see if he'd gone and couldn't find anything fresh. Still lumpy with hives. Got him some antihistamine and gave that. Im crossing everything they've gone down a bit at least when i get home in an hour.

My question is this: Can dogs be allergic to pumpkin?

Can it take hives that long to show up? (Min 4 hours)

Can hives from food cause them to be only on one side? Or is it more likely a contact allergy?

Is there anything i can wash him in to ease the itchyness?

The only other thing i can think of is he was wormed with sentinel spectrum on Sunday. And had a lepto vacc the Tuesday before (I dont over-vaccinate, but being in Darwin the vets strongly advise it due to the stagnent water sitting around and the rats)

He seems his normal happy hyperactive puppy self, and has the whole time. He's drinking the usual amount and isn't dehydrated.

He has a Vet appointment tomorrow just in case he's not back to normal.

Has anyone experienced pumpkin allergies before?

Please cross fingers and paws for Arby, hes my little buddy and means the world to me, it breaks my heart when something is wrong :(

X Arby & his mum

HI - IMO, lumps & bumps on one side /in one place may well be from bites , or brushing against something.

The two may be connected .. IF it is bites/stings ... initially there may have been no external signs, but upset him internally , then after inflammation /maybe a slight infection of teh bites/stings...a lump forms at teh site .

I find spider bites are much more noticeable on my skin on the following day.

Hope he's ok tomorrow :)

He has Black Hawk kibble, but hes been on it since he was 12 weeks, and has been on this bag for at least 2 months, maybe 3.

The antihistamines i gave him at lunch look to have helped, he still has some hives but they're a lot less and a alot smaller than what they were.

No poop yet to report, i have never been hanging out so bad for poop!

Edited by NOCTRL

1341568905[/url]' post='5888934']

He has Black Hawk kibble, but hes been on it since he was 12 weeks, and has been on this bag for at least 2 months, maybe 3.

The antihistamines i gave him at lunch look to have helped, he still has some hives but they're a lot less and a alot smaller than what they were.

No poop yet to report, i have never been hanging out so bad for poop!

Hmmm interesting, I asked about the kibble purely cause my pup had a reaction to it itching and biting all along her sides, the vet didnt think it was food allergy and gave antihistamine but they had not affect I had to end up changing vets and taking her completely off BH. Sine I havent given any lamb based foods and she is soooo much better. Apparently some food allergys can take awhile to come to surface, it took me halfway through a 20kg bag to realise how it was affecting her, the vet said kibble is like vitamines for us they take 6-8 weeks to fully get into their system so if there has been a change it might take that long for you to see it in your pup. Has your pup had pumpkin much in the past.

HI - IMO, lumps & bumps on one side /in one place may well be from bites , or brushing against something.

That would have been my logic too, if it wasn't for the fact I have a lot of experience relating to hives, with my own boy. The hives he used to break out in, if they weren't completely covering his body, were sometimes on one side or part of his body. Sometimes they'd spread. Sometimes not. And his were not relating to a contact allergy or bite/s.

CALENDULA TEA WASH for the hives!!!

Don't know if the pumpkin would have anything to do with the hives, but too much can cause runny poop too, so I've read.

Edited by Erny

Just thought i'd update. Arby went to the vet on Saturday arvo. His hives had gone down after a day on antihistamines. Vet agrees with you all that it was more than likely he rubbed up against something, or perhaps was laying on his side and got bitten by something.

The other delightfull matter of the runs, Whilst he hasnt begged me to go outside at ungodly hours in the night, i have not seen a solid poo either. He is hiding them on me. It's like the cruelest easter egg hunt ever. So he is still on rice and chicken (which he LOVES) i think he might be hiding his poop so he gets to stay on the rice and chicken :laugh:

But he's eating, playing and is crazy as always. Ill be able to stop worrying when i can find a dog damn poo though.

I think it may be possible as Kingston is allergic to sweet potato and I never thought he could be. It could also be a bite. Give it awhile and perhaps give him some more pumpkin and see if you get a reaction, that'd be the best way to test it.

Just thought i'd update. Arby went to the vet on Saturday arvo. His hives had gone down after a day on antihistamines. Vet agrees with you all that it was more than likely he rubbed up against something, or perhaps was laying on his side and got bitten by something.

The other delightfull matter of the runs, Whilst he hasnt begged me to go outside at ungodly hours in the night, i have not seen a solid poo either. He is hiding them on me. It's like the cruelest easter egg hunt ever. So he is still on rice and chicken (which he LOVES) i think he might be hiding his poop so he gets to stay on the rice and chicken :laugh:

But he's eating, playing and is crazy as always. Ill be able to stop worrying when i can find a dog damn poo though.

This may be a little Off Topic, but it might also be relevent. A week ago I had a dreadful bout of gastro.....& no.....it had nothing to do with the type of kibble I eat :laugh: I caught it off my Mum who I was nursing back to health at the time. Anyway, to cut a long story short....After 24 hours of throwing up & diahrea (sp??), it took me 6 days till I did another poop. It may take your dog a few days to get his poops back to normal too. Just an idea :)