Idiots And Their Dogs.

mixeduppup

OK officially p..... off at Bogans and their uncontrolled, aggressive dogs. Just walking my dogs down the street and see a lady approaching with her staffy on a flexi leash way out in front so I cross the road. Then for some unknown reason so does staffy lady, so I go up some stairs of a shop far enough away to let her pass, her dog is becoming really aggressive and she has NO control. My dogs are interested but pretty good, then Ammo (my Maremma) starts to pull and get a bit focused so I tap (emphasis on tap) him on the nose to redirect his attention to me. The conversation that ensued.

Moronic Bogan: Did you just hit your dog? How dare you abuse your dog, I'll tell the RSPCA!

Me: Go ahead love, and I'll report your out of control and aggressive dog to council.

Moronic Bogan: Well don't do it again.

Me: Train your dog.

Both walk away...IDIOT!

I think she may have been out for a fight!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Might be best to learn a better method to get your dog's attention than to do something that appears quite violent to others. Dogs have very sensitive noses. We didn't see you 'tap' your dog's face, so it's hard to say whether the lady's reaction was warranted or not.

I have a dog that sometimes needs his focus redirected, but I do it through very gentle methods rather than short, sharp corrections like taps. Face tapping can lead to some dogs becoming hand shy, and in my opinion does nothing to calm an overstimulated dog.

It was a short quick method, I normally don't do it, My dog is very confident and the tap was literally a tap. The lady was after a fight. Training methods vary and in this situation I had to do something quickly and it worked, he sat and looked back at me, as I had tried the refocus word to no avail. I don't abuse my dogs.

I don't get why she's follow me to my side though... It doesn't make sense. Seriously it was literally a TAP...Anyway there are varied training techniques that involve quick physical corrections. I'd prefer that than being pulled down the stairs by 45 kilos of Maremma. I do have a refocus word but the aggressiveness of the dog had him transfixed and it wasn't working.

I understand mixeduppup's frustration. Zoe is dog aggressive, and I cross the street too where possible if someone is approaching with a dog especially if the dog does not look under very good control and is straining to greet my dog. If they then cross the street as well (happened to me recently), I assume they are purposely trying to have their dog meet mine, and I tell them my dog is not friendly and I don't want to stop to visit them. It can be a stressful situation, especially if the dogs then become reactive and you are trying to deal with that as well as the owner. The most recent time it happened to me the other owner didn't speak very good English so it was tricky and I had to keep it really simple - "No - not friendly!" - and luckily we were at a quiet intersection so I could cross the street again.

I don't get why she's follow me to my side though... It doesn't make sense. Seriously it was literally a TAP...Anyway there are varied training techniques that involve quick physical corrections. I'd prefer that than being pulled down the stairs by 45 kilos of Maremma. I do have a refocus word but the aggressiveness of the dog had him transfixed and it wasn't working.

You will never know for sure, but maybe she thought it was a good way to get her dog used to being around other dogs. It isn't ofcourse, but reactivity is quite hard to fix, and people don't often know how to fix it.