Rescue Of 16 Puppy Farm Koolies

Perry's Mum

Koolie Rescue rescues abused and unwanted Koolies from around Australia.

Koolies used to be referred to as 'German Koolies', because the breed's development in early 19 century Australia was associated with early German and other European immigrant farmers.

Koolies are extremely active and intelligent working dogs who require mental stimulation as much as physical exercise. They are very eager to please their owners and very loyal. They are good house dogs and excellent company because they are very people oriented dogs and are happier with human company than the company of another dog, and they need frequent interaction with their owners. They are good with children and make good watch dogs because they quickly alert their owners to anyone who is coming. They are not aggressive. Koolies come in a wide range of colours and shades and can be either solid or merle. Coats vary from short and smooth to long and fluffy.

Although originally bred to work sheep, cattle and goats they also find roles in THE Army as Explosive Detection Dogs, as assistance dogs for disabled people, as truckers' companions, therapy dogs and animal educators. They also make loyal, loving, very clever, gentle natured companions who will do anything to please owners prepared to invest their time in them.

We have just rescued 16 young dogs which are Koolies crossed with some terrier from a puppy farm in South Australia - their vet bills will be huge, at least one needs a leg amputated and two are pregnant, they will all need to be vaccinated, flea and heart worm treated, desexed, and microchipped. All the dogs have mange and are undersized because they have not been cared for. The dogs are currently in foster care and the carers are in desperate need of old towels, blankets, sheets, small to medium sized dog coats, etc. The dogs are very skinny and are feeling the cold. If you would like some room in your house in exchange for my taking your old bedding off your hands, please call me and I will arrange to collect it so that I can hand it out on Saturday. I can be contacted by PM. Those of you not in Canberra can send it to Kerrie Challenger at the address below.

Anyone who wants to make a donation to help cover what are going to be enormous vet bills can do so through Koolie Rescue via the Koolie Club account:

KOOLIE CLUB OF AUSTRALIA

BSB 633-000

Account Number 110996709

Just mark the money for Koolie Rescue. Alternatively you can send a cheque: Kerrie Challenger, Koolie Rescue National Coordinator, RMB 6150, Strathallen Road, Bamawm Vic 3561.

If anyone is interested in offering a long term home to one of these pups, please let me know. They are friendly and intelligent and some will be ready for rehoming in about a month. Koolie Rescue rehomes free to the right home. The last ones rescued from this place turned out to be great little dogs.

Thanks

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you clarify how big medium is? I have a 45cm original weatherbeeta that I would be happy to send if it is not too big: fleece lined with poly shell. It is slightly too small for my Wheaten now he is an adult.

I have a brand new 60 cm weather betta type coat

I would love to donate to one of these poor puppies but it would be to big wouldn't it ?

I have got some towels that I send though. Will dig them out today.

The largest adult dog is currently 7kg and she only weighs that because she is heavily pregnant. These dogs are really undernourished. Hopefully in a few weeks they will be healthy again and ready to make someone a good companion.

Poor dogs. I guess some farms will cross anything with anything these days, I wish this craze would stop.

I have lots of old sheets etc, pm me a drop off address in Canberra and I can save you the pick up.

7 kg :eek: OMG !! :cry: This story is just so very sad :( I truly hope these dogs can all find the loving homes they deserve. I will post off the coat,

towels & anything else I can spare on my next trip to the P.O. if you could just PM me the address please.

Edited by BC Crazy

the 7kg pregnant bitch is 4 years old - the average weight of a 4 year old Koolie is 15-25kg depending on height. The dogs are surprisingly very friendly to humans despite their treatment so far and we expect them all to find loving homes.

Dog's never ceases to amaze. These poor dogs have been so badly treated & yet they are still very human friendly :( No wonder you are after coats,blankets & towels

these dogs must be literally skin & bone. They would have nothing on them to keep them warm, poor mites :(

Don't know anything about the breed, so they are a little bit bigger than a Border Collie or roughly the same. They sound similar in temp. to a working Border.

With such intelligence being kept in cages with no human interaction would be worse than the ultimate torture :mad

So I send my coat, towels e.t.c. to the Vic. address ?

Edited by BC Crazy

Yes please - most of the pups are going to be fostered down there. They are similar to working border collies in temperament but Koolies tend to be a bit more human focussed. They constantly amaze me with their ability to forgive abuse and to respond well to the smallest kindness. At least now they are getting regular food and medical treatment and have warm beds.

They have every reason to become human aggressive given their treatment or total lack there of but no they still wag their tails at the sight of a human. They are very lucky to have been rescued.

Sincere thanks to the great team that are bringing these poor Koolies who were totally neglected & abused back to good health & a giving them 2nd chance for a far better life. You are doing an amazing job. :thanks:

Edited by BC Crazy

All the dogs are now being fostered and a few have permanent homes lined up. Apparently there are more at the farm so we are expecting to have to go through this again before we get him closed down.

If anyone has any suggestions or contacts who can help with that, please let me know.

I'm wondering if you got the media involved like today tonight or a current affair, would potentially inform others of puppy farming and possibly gain some more recognition and publicity for the rescue..