Breed Recommendations For My Sister

nickyp

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont get it....

Dontatella has found poodle pups available under $1,000. She has concluded she has proven me wrong and seems keen to drive the point home. :shrug:

She needs to reread my entire statement a time or six. :)

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Which part of "puppies in pet shops come from puppy farms and most WILL shed" did she not quite grasp?

Ah yes, BUT her spoodle was perfect and didn't shed ... As I said, I will probably end up :banghead:

In my sister's defence, she has been, and still is, quite ill and it came on suddenly. A couple of months ago she had a full time job doing something she was devoted to. Now it's unlikely she'll every work again and her life has changed completely. I suspect, in spite of being generally a very positive and together kind of person, that she's still in a bit of shock, suffering some depression (not that she'd admit that) and a rather overwhelmed.

I had hoped that, by providing her with a list of breeds, that she would get interested in researching and talking to breeders and it would be a good distraction, as well as helping her get a well bred pup and avoid lining the puppy farmers' pockets. Instead, I suspect she'll end up doing whatever makes her feel better in the moment and it will be crossbred pup from the local pet shop. :(

Im starting to think take your sister to a show and meet and greet with different breeds, if youre lucky enough you'll be able to find a doler or 2 who may be round to help you out,

Whereabouts are you guys located?

Im starting to think take your sister to a show and meet and greet with different breeds, if youre lucky enough you'll be able to find a doler or 2 who may be round to help you out,

Whereabouts are you guys located?

It is a good idea, but I live in Geelong these days and she's in the outer eastern suburbs of Melbourne, about an hour and a half away from me. She's not up to driving far and I have 2 young kids, so my time is a bit limited - especially now that school has gone back. I also have to tread a bit carefully because, if she feels she's being "managed" she'll refuse to listen to anything I say, let alone take it on board. I will keep an eye out for shows that we could potentially get to, though, and see if I can suggest a "day out" at some stage.

It's not long until the Royal popsicle, you could both go and have a day out with the kids. You'd have to look and see what days what breeds are on (as they're spread out of the whole show) but she wouldn't feel "managed" then. Other wise there are show's at KCC park in Skye or at Bulla most weekends.

There is a Lowchen litter in Werribee. Lowchen are amongst the cheapest of the "rare" breeds because they are really unknown and their isn't a huge market for them.

You can get a Lowchen for less than or approx $1000.

Litter is house raised, both parents have A1 friendly happy temperaments (bit biased here as I own the stud).

Hey Popsicle, The list sounds great, and I think you're doing a really good job :thumbsup:

At the end of the day you can only lead a horse to water, you can't make it drink.

Hopefully if you keep leading her in the way you're doing you will have some success! I think if you can at all make it happen, head along to a dog show with her where she can hopefully have her heart and mind captured by some of the dogs there :)

There is a Lowchen litter in Werribee. Lowchen are amongst the cheapest of the "rare" breeds because they are really unknown and their isn't a huge market for them.

You can get a Lowchen for less than or approx $1000.

Litter is house raised, both parents have A1 friendly happy temperaments (bit biased here as I own the stud).

Another vote for the Lowchen, & for the litter that Lowenhart is referring too , gorgeous puppies :D

If the Lowchen is not for her, I would also recommend a Maltese or a Mini Poodle. :)

Lhasa Apso pet puppies are still under $1000. But they do shed a little. Not on the floor or around the house, but my guys beds are all covered in their hair. So just a warning.

Any rescue should be well under that price, just a matter of looking.

Guest Panzer Attack!

I've never seen an oodle for sale for less than $1000, and let her know a few pet stores are actually banned from selling pups for the next few weeks in Victoria due to a "wholesaler" (puppy farm) having a parvo outbreak, even if she does want one from a store PLEASE make it clear to her that the risks are far too great for the time being!!! :(

Edited by Panzer Attack!

I think you made up a fabulous list for her. Well done!

Yes you could add the havanese to that list (so cute too!). Very similar to the bichon in many ways, just with straighter hair and a few different colours.

In terms of price, she may need to raise her upper limit to around $1500. In that range she shouldn't have much trouble. She may be able to find pups lower, just depends.

Also she may be able to get by a bit cheaper if she looks at boy puppies rather than girl puppies, because for some reason girl puppies are more in demand (so I've been told by breeders). I have no idea why, because I really think the boys make beautiful loving pets. They fall a little bit in love with you. That's my theory anyway.

My bichon was a boy - the perfect dog - and I was just as much in love with him for his whole 13 years of life. He would have been the perfect dog for the situation you are describing with your sister. I always said he was the perfect 'sick bed' dog. He just hopped up onto the bed and slept next to you happily until you wanted to get up. Then he came with you to the couch. Then out into the garden, then back to bed. Perfectly happy doing all of that. I loved him to bits.

ETA I agree with the post above - the price for a well-bred oodle will be similar. I think the ethical issues with buying from a pet shop should override any perceived benefit of a cheaper price. Also couple that with the fact that many of these puppies are not what the staff tell you they are - often just backyard bred puppies of various mixes. You just don't know what you're getting.

In the end, the price you pay for the puppy is a trivial issue. You spend more on feeding the thing in its first year. And vet bills. People focus so much on purchase price, but I don't think it is very important really. The more important thing is to get the right dog, and in particular a healthy happy dog.

Edited by Zug Zug