Puppy Skipped 2nd And 3rd Vaccinations

Hi,

I am in a dilemma now, not sure if I should be giving my puppy the booster as recommended by my vet.

I got my puppy 2 weeks ago and he is 6 months old. The breeder just gave him a C5 shot that last for 12 months (sounds like the annual shot to me) a week before I collect him. The breeder specifically told me not to give another shot till 12 months later.

I brought him to my vet for a health check with the vaccination cards. My vet said my puppy was given a C3 and a C5 (last 12 months). Vet is recommending for another C5 shot 4 weeks later.

I called the breeder's vet to ask if it is ok for another c5 shots and the person behind the call said it is ok if your vet recommends it.

I don't want to over vaccinate my puppy.

I do plan to get him to obedience class and also will be boarding him 3 months later as I will be going oversea for a week.

Please advice!

Regards

Liz

I wouldn't. The reason the series is done on pups is because at that age they still may have maternal antibodies as a result of nursing off their mum. When you vaccinate an older dog (at 12 weeks or more etc), you only need the one. For example, if you get an older dog which is 'unvaccinated' (such as rescue) you only give one shot, not a series. IMO giving another would be definitely 'overkill'.

I always thought if you actually gave the kennel cough part as a needle they did need a follow up in 4 weeks time. If you gave the kennel cough as a nasal spray they only needed the one.

I would check with the breeder again as to what way the KC was given. If your dog needs a 2nd shot try and get just the KC, not the other stuff which is not needed again.

Hi, thanks all for the response.

I've just had a look at the vet card again.

The last shot during early July this year is for Protech C4 and Protech BB which I reckon should be a C5.

The breeder did insist on not giving another shot within these 12 months period as the shot covers for 12 months.

@espinay2: that is a good point. I haven't thought about the vaccination for a rescue dog.

@Rebanne: the breeder said no more shots till 12 months later. Hence, I would think no need booster? I do read somewhere in the forum that stated C5 need a booster after the first shots?

@jakeyjangels: 12 weeks from the last shot .. I guess should be ok for boarding during early week of Oct.

Thanks

The injectable vaccination for canine cough requires two injections 4 weeks apart for the series to be complete, but this pup doesn't need another C3. There is an injectable vaccine that covers only parainfluenza and bordatella (it's either known as PP/BI or KC, as opposed to the C4 + BB) - you might just need to see if you vet has it or not.

The injectable vaccination for canine cough requires two injections 4 weeks apart for the series to be complete, but this pup doesn't need another C3. There is an injectable vaccine that covers only parainfluenza and bordatella (it's either known as PP/BI or KC, as opposed to the C4 + BB) - you might just need to see if you vet has it or not.

Thanks @Rappie. I will probably call up and ask about the KC. Maybe it is a KC booster after all..

Please don't give your pup another C3! That would definitely be overkill. Be aware that even if your pup is fully vaccinated for KC there are many more strains that can't be vaccinated for. A bit like our flu. You can do the best you can but they can always catch another strain and there are many of them.

Please don't give your pup another C3! That would definitely be overkill. Be aware that even if your pup is fully vaccinated for KC there are many more strains that can't be vaccinated for. A bit like our flu. You can do the best you can but they can always catch another strain and there are many of them.

Thanks @bedazzledx2. Don't think I want to give another C3 either. But will check with vet if another C5 is needed after the last shot C4+BB that last for 12 months. I mean, I should be allowing only the KC shot not the full C5?

If this were my dog I probably wouldn't bother about the KC as there are so many different strains BUT if you want to be sure then ask for the KC vac only. Then next year when the full vaccination booster is due you can do one of three things....

Titre test to see what the level of immunity is (this is what I am planning to do with my youngster)

Give the C5 booster which is for Parvo Hep and Distemper and KC

Give the C3 booster for the big three... Parvo Hep and Distemper but not KC

The protocol in the US is for three yearly vaccinations and some vets here will do that with appropriate certification. This would be my second option.

If you plan to board your dog in Kennels you need to know what they will accept. I use kennels that accept Titre test certification from my vet and also Tri Annual vaccinations that are also certified from the vet.

Thanks @bedazzledx2. Don't think I want to give another C3 either. But will check with vet if another C5 is needed after the last shot C4+BB that last for 12 months. I mean, I should be allowing only the KC shot not the full C5?

This is very interesting

Chewak - Hope you dont mind if I ask a question, while everyone is talking about vaccinations........

We had a rescue dog, approx 18 mths old, put into vets for desexing and vaccinations. She wasnt desexed as when they shaved her they could see a faint scar where it should be and they found a couple of dots that could have been the tattoo.

Anyway I asked for a C5 vaccination and when we collected her, they told us we needed to come back in a month for another shot - would this be correct?

I am also not wanting to overload my dogs with unneccessary vaccinations and did assume that only one injection would be required. To go back for the second injection it will cost us $90

This is very interesting

Chewak - Hope you dont mind if I ask a question, while everyone is talking about vaccinations........

We had a rescue dog, approx 18 mths old, put into vets for desexing and vaccinations. She wasnt desexed as when they shaved her they could see a faint scar where it should be and they found a couple of dots that could have been the tattoo.

Anyway I asked for a C5 vaccination and when we collected her, they told us we needed to come back in a month for another shot - would this be correct?

I am also not wanting to overload my dogs with unneccessary vaccinations and did assume that only one injection would be required. To go back for the second injection it will cost us $90

I wouldn't take her back for the other c5 shot. The first one should provide adequate immunity for at least a year (i use this loosely) since she is not a puppy.

This is very interesting

I wouldn't take her back for the other c5 shot. The first one should provide adequate immunity for at least a year (i use this loosely) since she is not a puppy.

Agree with this.

I always thought if you actually gave the kennel cough part as a needle they did need a follow up in 4 weeks time. If you gave the kennel cough as a nasal spray they only needed the one.

:)

This is very interesting

Agree with this.

Thats what I was thinking. Also if her previous owners got her desexed, they probably got her vaccinated as well and seeing as she is pretty young, thought her immunity might be enough for 12 months.

Thanks for answering my query :thumbsup:

Interesting reading, I know people with dogs who have only had the very young puppy vaccination and some not at all, whose dogs are now very elderly.

My dog was only vaccinated once when I acquired her at a guestimate of 12 months old during her vet check. I was never asked to come back. I doubt very much she was vaccinated or even wormed before, being a nobodies fend for herself dog and all.

Edited by GeckoTree

I have done the puppy shots, 2 if possible instead of 3 (esp for cats), and then titre tested from 1year from last vax. I had to have them vaccinated as we went overseas so that was around 1.5years. No more vaccinations for them from now on.

I haven't search though the forum, pardon me, but how can I do the titre test? do I need a vet to perform it?

If this were my dog I probably wouldn't bother about the KC as there are so many different strains BUT if you want to be sure then ask for the KC vac only. Then next year when the full vaccination booster is due you can do one of three things....

Titre test to see what the level of immunity is (this is what I am planning to do with my youngster)

Give the C5 booster which is for Parvo Hep and Distemper and KC

Give the C3 booster for the big three... Parvo Hep and Distemper but not KC

The protocol in the US is for three yearly vaccinations and some vets here will do that with appropriate certification. This would be my second option.

If you plan to board your dog in Kennels you need to know what they will accept. I use kennels that accept Titre test certification from my vet and also Tri Annual vaccinations that are also certified from the vet.

I haven't search though the forum, pardon me, but how can I do the titre test? do I need a vet to perform it?

Yes your vet would draw blood and send it off to the lab. Hopefully your vet will be up to date with this. I dont know where it would be sent from Victoria...we have testing labs here in WA.