Has Your Pet Saved Your Life?

kfittall

Hi there,

I'm a writer with a national, weekly women's magazine and am currently putting a lovely story together about pets & animals who have in some way, saved someone's life. It might be that they did it literally (alerting their owner to a house fire or potential emergency, or alerting someone else that their owner was in trouble in some way) or in a more emotional sense, in some shape or form.

A crucial part of the story will involve featuring 'real life' stories of people who have had such an experience with a dog (or other pet) and are willing to share it with our readers. As such, I have been given permission by the forum's moderators to put this post up asking for anyone with a relevant story and who may be willing to take part or to find out more about what's involved, to make contact with me by responding to this message or by messaging me privately.

Many thanks in advance,

best

Karen

I'm sorry that this is a little off-topic, but there was a dog called Lennox who helped his disabled owners daughter - he was her therapy dog and her playmate (her disability meant it was difficult for her to play with other children).

Due to him supposedly having 'pit bull features' (he was not a pit), he was kept in a appalling conditions for two years - no visits by the family allowed. He was put to sleep recently when the final appeal finished.

Many high profile dog behaviourists spoke out on his behalf (Victoria Stillwell was a committed supporter), and even offered to fly him to the US to live out the rest of his days.

The Facebook group has links to a lot of the websites: http://www.facebook.com/TheLennoxCampaign

I wanted to make this post as I wish to highlight the fact that even dogs that save and enrich lives can be subject to this treatment.

hi Tibbie_tabbie.

Thanks for your response - I do know the story about Lennox, and agree that it was completely terrible, inhumane and totally unnecessary. I was so sad when I read about it earlier in the month. And to think it was probably carried out to make an example - or maybe just because of pure ignorance.

I'm sorry that this is a little off-topic, but there was a dog called Lennox who helped his disabled owners daughter - he was her therapy dog and her playmate (her disability meant it was difficult for her to play with other children).

Due to him supposedly having 'pit bull features' (he was not a pit), he was kept in a appalling conditions for two years - no visits by the family allowed. He was put to sleep recently when the final appeal finished.

Many high profile dog behaviourists spoke out on his behalf (Victoria Stillwell was a committed supporter), and even offered to fly him to the US to live out the rest of his days.

The Facebook group has links to a lot of the websites: http://www.facebook.com/TheLennoxCampaign

I wanted to make this post as I wish to highlight the fact that even dogs that save and enrich lives can be subject to this treatment.

Yes, sadly it's the registered, visible dogs that are being made an example of :( The fact that he was also a therapy dog (and his separation/death has had a detrimental effect on the young girl), and thus a shinning examples of what dogs can do just makes it all the more horrific.

Not sure if this counts.

Years ago my GSDxDobe growled and wouldn't leave my bedroom late one evening. I was on my own watching TV in the lounge and assumed my GSD pup had annoyed her again so took no notice. When I went to shut my bedroom window before bed the flyscreen wasn't there. Looking outside, it was lent against the wall next to the window. This scared the bejeebers out of me and I phoned Police.

To this day, I know she scared off an intruder and sadly she is no longer with us.

Funny though - when the police came it was the GSD they wanted to recruit not the actual saviour :shrug:

hi HugL

That's a GREAT story! Pretty amazing to think she thwarted a potential burglar when you were actually at home. Could have turned out very differently if she hadn't scared them off? Thank you so much for sharing. Unfortunately, we have to photograph every person we talk to, with the pet who has been a life saver, so with her no longer with us (am so sorry to hear that), obviously that wouldn't be possible. But thank you for taking the time to respond - in other circs, it'd be perfect!

cheers

Karen

Not sure if this counts.

Years ago my GSDxDobe growled and wouldn't leave my bedroom late one evening. I was on my own watching TV in the lounge and assumed my GSD pup had annoyed her again so took no notice. When I went to shut my bedroom window before bed the flyscreen wasn't there. Looking outside, it was lent against the wall next to the window. This scared the bejeebers out of me and I phoned Police.

To this day, I know she scared off an intruder and sadly she is no longer with us.

Funny though - when the police came it was the GSD they wanted to recruit not the actual saviour :shrug:

Closest I've ever come was when I was a kid I was out walking my dogs in the park.

Towser my terrier started pulling even harder than normal on his leash and barking off his head.

"What's gotten into him" I thought.

Looked down and there was a gigantic brown snake that I was just about to stand on.

Froze still and ran for my life.

Wow, scary stuff! Dogs do seem to have a sense about brown snakes don't they? Glad you both got out unscathed.

Closest I've ever come was when I was a kid I was out walking my dogs in the park.

Towser my terrier started pulling even harder than normal on his leash and barking off his head.

"What's gotten into him" I thought.

Looked down and there was a gigantic brown snake that I was just about to stand on.

Froze still and ran for my life.

Hi there,

I'm a writer with a national, weekly women's magazine and am currently putting a lovely story together about pets & animals who have in some way, saved someone's life. It might be that they did it literally (alerting their owner to a house fire or potential emergency, or alerting someone else that their owner was in trouble in some way) or in a more emotional sense, in some shape or form.

A crucial part of the story will involve featuring 'real life' stories of people who have had such an experience with a dog (or other pet) and are willing to share it with our readers. As such, I have been given permission by the forum's moderators to put this post up asking for anyone with a relevant story and who may be willing to take part or to find out more about what's involved, to make contact with me by responding to this message or by messaging me privately.

Many thanks in advance,

best

Karen

This made me think of my mums male Rottweiler. When he use to sleep in the house he would wake her up when her sugar dropped too low, mum is a diabetic and I don't know how but he knew she needed to wake up

Cheers Lee

I had mother and son rescue staffords. I lived on acreage and fell down my front steps. One dog stayed with me while the other ran to the property next door and alerted them to come and help me. I injured all four limbs and was unconcious so could've laid there for a long time until someone found me if it weren't for the dogs. The one that went and got help was a very anxious dog so I was very proud of him. I still have a permanent dint in one leg from that fall.

In 2000 or 2001 the same two dogs chased 3 intruders from inside my house. They had broken into the top part of the house and ransacked it, stacking things to take. We were out the back of the house watching tv. The dogs suddenly jumped up and flew up the stairs. One intruder fell from the top floor window trying to escape them. The interesting thing was once the intruders were out of the house the dogs immediately returned to protect me (ie they did not physically attack the intruders or chase them down the street). I had run out the back of the house and called Triple 0. Unfortunately they could not send a car to me and with a 000 operator still on the phone I had to go back into the house and make sure each room was empty and lock up the house as best I could. It was terrifying and the only reason I was able to do it was because the dogs were by my side, on the alert. Those 3 intruders were drunk and had robbed several houses that night. The one who fell from the window broke his foot or ankle and was later caught by the police.

Unfortunately the son passed away 5 years ago and the mother just over one year ago. She lived to be almost 17. You always hope your dogs would protect you in your time of need and these two did. They were a special pair still sadly missed.

I know as they are deceased their stories aren't useful to you but thanks for listening anyway!

Thanks Puppy_Sniffer, for sharing that story. So incredible. Your dogs have obviously come to your rescue more than once! What lovely memories you must have of them. Thanks again for writing.

I had mother and son rescue staffords. I lived on acreage and fell down my front steps. One dog stayed with me while the other ran to the property next door and alerted them to come and help me. I injured all four limbs and was unconcious so could've laid there for a long time until someone found me if it weren't for the dogs. The one that went and got help was a very anxious dog so I was very proud of him. I still have a permanent dint in one leg from that fall.

In 2000 or 2001 the same two dogs chased 3 intruders from inside my house. They had broken into the top part of the house and ransacked it, stacking things to take. We were out the back of the house watching tv. The dogs suddenly jumped up and flew up the stairs. One intruder fell from the top floor window trying to escape them. The interesting thing was once the intruders were out of the house the dogs immediately returned to protect me (ie they did not physically attack the intruders or chase them down the street). I had run out the back of the house and called Triple 0. Unfortunately they could not send a car to me and with a 000 operator still on the phone I had to go back into the house and make sure each room was empty and lock up the house as best I could. It was terrifying and the only reason I was able to do it was because the dogs were by my side, on the alert. Those 3 intruders were drunk and had robbed several houses that night. The one who fell from the window broke his foot or ankle and was later caught by the police.

Unfortunately the son passed away 5 years ago and the mother just over one year ago. She lived to be almost 17. You always hope your dogs would protect you in your time of need and these two did. They were a special pair still sadly missed.

I know as they are deceased their stories aren't useful to you but thanks for listening anyway!

I remember I was about 17 walking my dog at night alone, he is a Kelpie x. He was happily walking along next to me. Slowly his hackles started to raise and his body became very stiff and he walked closer to me, to the point of pushing me further towards the road.

There was a big row of tree's along the footpath where we walked, he began to growl very loudly and by this stage his hackles were up from neck to tail....we walked a few meters and behind a bush there was an older man, hiding....

I have never been so so scared, not saying my dog saved my life, I was not to know what this man was doing hiding in the bushes at that time of night....whatever the reason my dog sensed him from a good 20 meters back as we were approaching and went into protection mode :) a very loyal boy he is :)

Unfortunately, mine didn't save me from the fire, they expected me to save them. Something intrinsically wrong there!!

When I lived on a property, I went into the paddock to turn the bore off ... and I saw 2 dogs about 20m away from the bore. One was, I thought, the red cattle dog from the corner, and the other was a tan dog. I spoke to them ... and then noticed that they were advancing towards me, heads and ears up, tails up, hackles up, stiff legged walk.

I took another look, and realised that the red dog was much bigger than the cattle dog from the corner -- and he had a distinctly dingo look about him, and his mate, smaller, WAS a dingo. And there I was, in the middle of nowhere, no one around, and two wild looking dingoes were going to attack me. I always believed that the dingo did it - but at that moment, I was totally sure of it. There was nowhere to run, I wasn't game to turn around to find a stick

....and then, around the corner of the machinery shed, running as hard as he could, and barking very seriously, hair flying, came my golden cocker, Magnus. He had been pooching around, minding his own business, and he had seen the dogs. Uh oh, he was very brave, but I thought we would both be toast, and then I saw he was closely followed, and being overtaken by his best friend Nina the boxer. She wasn't saying anything, but she was intent on the dingoes.

Seeing the force against them the dingoes turned and ran up the hill, the dogs after them - with me calling furiously. I didn't want Magnus and Nina to run to the dingo pack and be killed. Luckily, when the dingoes crossed the road, my dogs peeled off and returned.

I later discovered from the neighbours that the red dog was an x bred which had mauled lots of cattle and sheep, and was known to be quite savage.

Another cocker stood between my 3 year old and a death adder, and would not let the child go foward nearer to it. The urgency of the barking alerted me before any harm was done.

When I was about 15, I was home alone on Saturday night. Parents were out to dinner. I went to bed, and the 4 show dacshunds were asleep on the bed. I had the "front" bedroom, and the bed was parallel to the bay window with the window box under it. This was a gabled house.

All the dogs suddenly became alert, and were sitting on the bed looking the the window - 3 casement windows actually. By this time, I was terrified. A shadow appeared in the window and all 4 dogs launched themselves off the bed towards the window at the same time, barking like hounds of the Baskervilles.

Naturally the would be intruder fell backwards out the window (it was not terribly high, but higher than a man). I was too traumatised to do anything, and when my parents arrived home an hour or so later, I had the quilt up to my neck, dogs gathered close - in case he came back.

Police arrived, said there was a burglar in the area, and the marks of his sandshoes were in the chalky paint of the gable.

They never caught him and I never went to bed with the window open again.

Edited by Jed

There are forum members whose dogs alert them to their children having seizures, they have not been trained to do this.

I think it was Raineth and Suz (can't remember DOL name though).

Big Dog Rescue had a house fire years ago and were alerted through their Staffords barking.

While I love heroic dog stories more than anything I feel that dangers such as fire then dogs barking is probably more self preservation rather than saving their owners being their priority.

It would be great if the stories could have some bull breeds heros so show that they can be loving, loyal pets rather than just vicious killers.

I think Suz's dog who lets her know about the seizures is a Stafford too.

My blue heeler Ringer saved me once.

I had been thrown from a horse and hit my head, we were a few ks away from the farm so the bloke with me had to leave me and go and get the farm ute to take me to hospital.

I had been unconscious and came too and was told not to fall asleep but couldnt control what I did.

Ringer sat next to me and barked at me everytime I looked like sleeping, because I was alone she was the only one who could help me.She kept me awake for the whole time it took the ute to come and pick me up.

She was only a very young dog, not yet a year old!

She was just wonderful I loved her dearly.

Is there another contact for you off DOL? 2 of my dogs owners may be happy to tell their stories.

1 a 5 month old pup who sadly died protecting a young girl from a snake and another who held off 2 men while she escaped in an area where there were 2 murder /rapes.

Hi Jed

Sounds like dogs have saved your life more than once! Fantastic stories. Magnus and Nina chasing the dingoes off is very heroic.

Thank you for sharing!

Unfortunately, mine didn't save me from the fire, they expected me to save them. Something intrinsically wrong there!!

When I lived on a property, I went into the paddock to turn the bore off ... and I saw 2 dogs about 20m away from the bore. One was, I thought, the red cattle dog from the corner, and the other was a tan dog. I spoke to them ... and then noticed that they were advancing towards me, heads and ears up, tails up, hackles up, stiff legged walk.

I took another look, and realised that the red dog was much bigger than the cattle dog from the corner -- and he had a distinctly dingo look about him, and his mate, smaller, WAS a dingo. And there I was, in the middle of nowhere, no one around, and two wild looking dingoes were going to attack me. I always believed that the dingo did it - but at that moment, I was totally sure of it. There was nowhere to run, I wasn't game to turn around to find a stick

....and then, around the corner of the machinery shed, running as hard as he could, and barking very seriously, hair flying, came my golden cocker, Magnus. He had been pooching around, minding his own business, and he had seen the dogs. Uh oh, he was very brave, but I thought we would both be toast, and then I saw he was closely followed, and being overtaken by his best friend Nina the boxer. She wasn't saying anything, but she was intent on the dingoes.

Seeing the force against them the dingoes turned and ran up the hill, the dogs after them - with me calling furiously. I didn't want Magnus and Nina to run to the dingo pack and be killed. Luckily, when the dingoes crossed the road, my dogs peeled off and returned.

I later discovered from the neighbours that the red dog was an x bred which had mauled lots of cattle and sheep, and was known to be quite savage.

Another cocker stood between my 3 year old and a death adder, and would not let the child go foward nearer to it. The urgency of the barking alerted me before any harm was done.

When I was about 15, I was home alone on Saturday night. Parents were out to dinner. I went to bed, and the 4 show dacshunds were asleep on the bed. I had the "front" bedroom, and the bed was parallel to the bay window with the window box under it. This was a gabled house.

All the dogs suddenly became alert, and were sitting on the bed looking the the window - 3 casement windows actually. By this time, I was terrified. A shadow appeared in the window and all 4 dogs launched themselves off the bed towards the window at the same time, barking like hounds of the Baskervilles.

Naturally the would be intruder fell backwards out the window (it was not terribly high, but higher than a man). I was too traumatised to do anything, and when my parents arrived home an hour or so later, I had the quilt up to my neck, dogs gathered close - in case he came back.

Police arrived, said there was a burglar in the area, and the marks of his sandshoes were in the chalky paint of the gable.

They never caught him and I never went to bed with the window open again.

Thanks Clyde, for the info. I'll endeavour to track them down.

cheers

Karen

There are forum members whose dogs alert them to their children having seizures, they have not been trained to do this.

I think it was Raineth and Suz (can't remember DOL name though).

Big Dog Rescue had a house fire years ago and were alerted through their Staffords barking.

While I love heroic dog stories more than anything I feel that dangers such as fire then dogs barking is probably more self preservation rather than saving their owners being their priority.

It would be great if the stories could have some bull breeds heros so show that they can be loving, loyal pets rather than just vicious killers.

I think Suz's dog who lets her know about the seizures is a Stafford too.

Ringer sounds like a great dog. So amazing how dogs have instincts about these things - and when she was still so young, too. Thanks for sharing Gillybob

My blue heeler Ringer saved me once.

I had been thrown from a horse and hit my head, we were a few ks away from the farm so the bloke with me had to leave me and go and get the farm ute to take me to hospital.

I had been unconscious and came too and was told not to fall asleep but couldnt control what I did.

Ringer sat next to me and barked at me everytime I looked like sleeping, because I was alone she was the only one who could help me.She kept me awake for the whole time it took the ute to come and pick me up.

She was only a very young dog, not yet a year old!

She was just wonderful I loved her dearly.