Free Pet Insurance For New Puppies

Parkeyre

Hello fellow breeders.

Can anyone please enlighten me as to how breeders are able to offer a free pet insurance when they place their babies?

I've seen puppies advertised with free 6 weeks of insurance etc, and would love to be able to offer it with my own.

Would love any information, thankyou. :)

Hello fellow breeders.

Can anyone please enlighten me as to how breeders are able to offer a free pet insurance when they place their babies?

I've seen puppies advertised with free 6 weeks of insurance etc, and would love to be able to offer it with my own.

Would love any information, thankyou. :)

Puppy schools do the same.

They simply pass on the Insurance Companies promotion offers.

Thanks Tralee.

How would I set this up?

I don't know?

Perhaps find out the Insurance companies that offer the promotion.

Should be easy enough by contacting some Vets or walk in and collect the brochures from the front desk.

Then contact the companies and ask for the applications.

The Vets may have some too.

I am not sure but I think they came with a particular product.

I don't think the breeder can subscribe to the Insurance on behalf of prospective owners.

Each owner would have to accept the offer themselves.

Its a good idea though

Good Luck

Cheers Tralee.

Looking on google, PetPlan has a breeder registration so I've signed up for that.

http://www.petplan.com.au/about-petplan/working-with-breeders

Good idea.

I kept a puppy from our second litter and she had a tick which I couldn't find.

It cost a bundle and she was only a few months old.

The question I would ask myself though is: Would I insure my dogs with Petplan?

If yes, then that would be good enough for my puppy homes.

Regards

I have not got any insurance for my dogs. I have a linked bank account, a credit card for emergencies and a great vet who would allow me to pay off a veterinary bill. But I understand many are not as fortunate to have full time jobs etc and insurance is a great option for those who are not 100% able at any time to afford a massive emergency bill.

Edited by Parkeyre

I have not got any insurance for my dogs.

I have a linked bank account, a credit card for emergencies and a great vet who would allow me to pay off a veterinary bill.

But I understand many are not as fortunate to have full time jobs etc and insurance is a great option for those who are not 100% able at any time to afford a massive emergency bill.

Yeah.

Same here.

My dogs have their own debit card, so I have a record of all their costs.

I have four Maremma: would you like their entire Veterinary History. :D

I have not got any insurance for my dogs.

I have a linked bank account, a credit card for emergencies and a great vet who would allow me to pay off a veterinary bill.

But I understand many are not as fortunate to have full time jobs etc and insurance is a great option for those who are not 100% able at any time to afford a massive emergency bill.

Yeah.

Same here.

My dogs have their own debit card, so I have a record of all their costs.

I have four Maremma: would you like their entire Veterinary History. :D

No thanks, I have four Australian Shepherds, and an entire family who keep their dogs under my name at the vets without always paying their bills.

Hi Parkeyre,

I have used Ford Kinter for a number of years. I think that they hope that "some" of your buyers will take up a full insurance policy once the six week cover has lapsed.

Read through what the policy covers though so that you can offer advise to your buyers.

Regards,

A lot of breeders register for the puppy insurance but most breeders don't have their own dogs insured. The cost is prohitive if you have more than a couple of dogs and the insurance doesn't cover most things that breeders need.

Hi All,

The policy options (at Ford Kinter), certainly come up as Petplan but personally not sure.

We did have one buyer a few years ago that used the complimentary cover for yeast infections in the ears that was paid out. Can't remember specifically which buyer so unable to check.

I would be interested to hear more thanks Jed.

Regards,

• 2 weeks later...

Parkeyre - I notice you are in SA. My vet is actually offering them as puppy packs when you get your litter vaccinated, microchipped and health checked. The one I had came with a puppy booklet, worming tablet and free insurance for 6 weeks (came from sentinel). There was another company doing them through this vet now as well. Really good idea. My recent arrival here came with a puppy pack from proplan which included insurance and sample puppy food.

PM me and I'll tell you the vet.

• 3 months later...

I used to use petplan - never had a complaint but Bow Wow Meow do a deal for our members including our rescue members for the free insurance period the same and some of our members purchase a 12 month insurance policy for their puppy buyers which is much less expensive that the 12 month insurance on petplan so Ive swapped over

Iused the free Petplan one for my last litter (now 7 years ago) Before I organised it I contacted the puppy buyers and explained it to them and asked if they would like me to subscribe on their behalf given that they may have follow up from the insurers looking for further insurance policies. All the buyers said they would be interested in the free 6 week policy but as far as I'm aware none had any issues to claim and none took out further policies.

From my point of view as a breeder it gave me a little breathing space. while I was confidient that would not be any problems the pups could take with them it did cover the new owners for anything that happened in that first 6 weeks while they were sorting having a new puppy out.

If I was still breeding and this was available I would certianly use it however, I would never bother insuring my own animals.