Anti-inflammatory Foods

Just following on from a comment in another thread about wheat being an inflammatory agent, which other foods should be avoided for older dogs with arthritis/other issues?

Also, are there any foods with anti-inflammatory properties that may help older dogs? Thanks.

I have been told that apple cider vinegar and parsley are both natural anti-inflammatories. And even if they're not they certainly didn't seem to do any harm to my old girl!!

I was also told to feed lamb rather than beef as the process of breaking down the beef was "hotter" than lamb, so added heat to the body. I have no idea if this is at all true, but my dog preferred lamb and chicken anyway!

Have a look at this website for food energetics chart according to traditional Chinese medecine

Herbsmith Food Energetic Chart

PME I think you have your information confused - lamb is HOT, as is chicken; beef & roo are neutral, rabbit & duck are cooling.

Yes, Tara8430 is on the right track - bromelain (found in pineapple) is an anti-inflammatory; also the spice turmeric (curcumin) has been extensively researched & has been found to benefit arthritis & cancer sufferers, likewise luteolin (in parsley, celery, capsicum, artichoke, basil) & apogenin (also celery & parsley).

Supplements such as vitamins C, E & A have anti-inflammatory properties. Boswellin & yucca have also been used for centuries to support joint health, & manganese (ascorbate) enhances the effect of glucosamine & chondroitin.

Inevitablue is right in citing omega 3s & omega 6s. The body converts lineolic acid into GLA which can help reduce joint inflammation.

I have always fed as varied a diet as possible, we can certainly help by providing our dogs with anti-oxidants & bioflavanoids to support their immune systems & protect their DNA.