Survey For College Assignment (now With Survey Functioning)

bb_student

Hello!

Nice to meet you all, I'm a student from a design college and we've been told to choose a cause we felt passionate about.

My team chose to research into ways to reduce unnecessary euthanisation of dogs, and depending on the results we obtain from the survey we plan to try and draft an interactive website, documentaries and even illustrations.

We've also been in touch with some local shelters and plan to somehow affiliate ourselves with them, anything produced from this assignment we plan to share and give back to the community in hopes that it can benefit the issue even in the smallest way.

I know that people don't tend to look too kindly on surveys but it'd be greatly appreciated if you have the spare time. It's also relatively short!

*EDIT Sorry about the link not working, we hit a response limit on the prior survey*

Link

If that doesn't work --> http://www.sogosurvey.com/k/SsRUPYsRsPsPsP

Thankyou guys in advance,

Jenny

P.s. I've run this survey by one of the mods Troy, and he's greenlighted me posting here so hopefully I'm not doing anything against the rules

post-46274-0-21052600-1343708904_thumb.jpg

Edited by bb_student

Sorry, better ask...

How is our personal information going to used?

How will it be stored?

Will it be shared with any other persons/companies?

Will it be destroyed after your research is complete?

I work in a government department where we collect personal information and these are some necessary questions that we ask clients before sharing information.

Thanks!

I'm wondering what my status as a parent/non-parent has to do with dogs and euthanasia.

I don't actually see what any of those questions have to do with it ??

Even the would you adapt from the Shelter after knowing how many are put down.

The topic is about unnecessary euthanasia & this alone can mean many things to many people.

There are people who would save anything without considering the dog,its future & its needs & how well it will fit into a home & at the same time the fact said dog could sit in the shelter/rescue for years .

I'm wondering what my status as a parent/non-parent has to do with dogs and euthanasia.

I don't actually see what any of those questions have to do with it ??

Even the would you adapt from the Shelter after knowing how many are put down.

The topic is about unnecessary euthanasia & this alone can mean many things to many people.

There are people who would save anything without considering the dog,its future & its needs & how well it will fit into a home & at the same time the fact said dog could sit in the shelter/rescue for years .

+1

Hi bb student :) I didnt mind doing the survey,

But have you thought about why pets get PTS, my partner & I have helped with turning dogs around from Fear Aggession/ Aggression by looing into WHAT HAS CAUSED the dog to be like this & have taken them off death row. The 2 main aspects are either the dog is in physical pain or some kind of illness & people just dont bother to help the poor dogs. they just look at it, the dog has turned Aggressive "GET IT PUT DOWN" that is the easy solution.

A dog will either turn Fear or go the other way of total Agression.

Fear Aggression could be a no of reasons eg: tormented, physicaly hurt, illness of some kind, with this the dog normally goes into submission while growling/snapping. If you think about it in the wild pack if a member of the pack is hurt in some way the pack leader will take action to get rid of that injured dog. 9 times out of 10 they injured/sick dog is killed by the pack leader.

Full on Aggression can also be similar to the above but the dog will not submitt they will fight.

I hope this gives you a little more insight of understanding the behaviour.

Neither of the links are working for me :confused: :confused:

Me either.

Hi guys,

Sorry for the lag in response, I had to go out but thankyou for those who have taken the time to reply

- Surveys down, thats very embarassing on my end and was definitely not what I intended. Due to my free account with sogosurvey, theres actually a response limit, the survey has been up since saturday and ...well I should have seen that coming. I'll try and find a new survey provider but until then apologies to those who wanted to take the survey but cant seem to.

- Murve: thankyou for taking time out in providing that insight, we are new to the whole scene so no we wern't aware of PTS at atll and will look into it any new information helps and we appreciate it.

- In regards to the parent or non parent question in the survey. We are students and this is by no means the perfect survey, however we put consideration for each question and if they did end up insulting or offending anyone I do apologies as that was never our intention. The thought process for that specific question was identifying whether the person was the decision maker of his or her household. In hindsight it would probably have been better to ask if they were the decision maker and we will make this adjustment in future surveys unless theres a different recommendation? Thankyou for the feedback though.

- "The topic is about unnecessary euthanasia & this alone can mean many things to many people.

There are people who would save anything without considering the dog,its future & its needs & how well it will fit into a home & at the same time the fact said dog could sit in the shelter/rescue for years ."

Sorry Im not sure how to quote. You are quite right, in short this survey doesn't really do it justice and it could be as long as a thousand pages and still not capture all the multifaceted issues with the problem, but this is where we're starting and we welcome feedback or recommendations you have.

- @ Decadence: Hello! I use to be an auditor if that means anything (probably not) but I am aware of privacy concerns that you have

"

How is our personal information going to used? Purely for educational purposes, should any shelters request access to the results in hopes to further their research then we will be happy to share it with them

How will it be stored? Excel spread sheet on me and my team mates private computers

Will it be shared with any other persons/companies? Purely educational and non profit only, we are not selling anything we have no intent besides that of furthering help for the cause

Will it be destroyed after your research is complete? No as it'll be part of the documentation of how we have come to our work and decision making. Information is purely anonymous, there is no IP tracking and the questions are very generla"

Thankyou for your concerns though and hopefully that helps...not that the survey is working currently ergh!

Thanks to the people who managed to fill out the survey while it was working though! I'll try to quickly put another up

Edited by bb_student

- Murve: thankyou for taking time out in providing that insight, we are new to the whole scene so no we wern't aware of PTS at atll and will look into it any new information helps and we appreciate it.

bb student you are welcome :D if you are not sure what PTS is, it is Put To Sleep, yes some unwanted, fear aggression ( also known as Fear bitters) even aggressive dogs go to the pound or go to their vets to put down the poor dog all because people just dont take the time to work out what or seek help to what is wrong with their furkids ( people who love their dogs called them this)

I think you mean "euthanasia" not "euthanisation" .

I did attempt to do the survey however I also felt some of the questions were a bit random and not really related to the topic at all.

I also did not understand the question about how you choose your companion? I assume you mean dog companion however the previous question also related to where you got your dog from and what qualities you would look for in a dog.

I think, you need have a good think about what information exactly you would like to get and how it relates to the topic, especially if you wish the information to be of use to animal welfare organisations, shelter, pounds etc.

Edited by aussielover

@murve: oh dear! I had thought PTS stood for post traumatic stress and now Im feeling rather silly. Do you mind if I PM you for more information?

@aussielover: Thankyou for the attempt and sorry if it did feel a bit random but appreciate you had a go anyways.

To shed some perspective we're looking at it in the way of improving the way that potential owners can find potential rescue dogs, what can be improved in this area and how to facilitate this better and that is why the questions are oriented (even though they seem random) to where and how a person will meet their dog. The question of "What do you look for in a dog" was us attempting to know if there were certain characteristics we can really centre on showing if we were to put up search filters in a site, or make a documentary or even journaling a dogs story.

"How do you choose your companion" does actualyl sound like the previosu question, sorry about that but it was actually meant to mean "what makes you decide to buy that specific dog?" i.e. if you're looking for a specific breed what makes you finally choose that one specific puppy from a litter...for example...hopefully I'm making sense and not just rambling...Im rambling arnt I?

I'll try to reword that but based on your feedback I've put (dog) in brackets in the question.

We'll try to improve on the wording on that one.

As for euthanasia/euthanisation it seems to be the case of semantics and we'll consider whether we need to shift it but fortunately everyone understands where we're getting at and at worse I can hide behind wiktionary (it's in there I swear!)

Thanks for the feedback!

done and happy to give you my age and marital status to do with as you please :D

Same - and if you find someone else who does the survey with similar stats, I'll even pass on my email address and you can run a matchmaking service on the side ;)