Dark Bloody Discharge

Lynai

Phew! Have been on the edge of my seat reading this thread. Nothing like a good suspense thriller!

Congratulations on a good outcome. Fingers crossed things go smoothly from now on (well we can always hope LOL!)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So pleased all ended up ok. If the pups look normal don't worry about gestation times I had one girl have 3 litters all on day 58 & all perfectly well.

:) at your husband, he sounds lovely. Dogs are not liked in their culture, my friend from there was talking about this a few weeks ago. Hope its plain sailing from now on sometimes they really scare us.

"Breeding is never boring" yep Fifi, that pretty much sums it up :) and certainly not for the faint of heart, as I tried putting intestines back inside a puppy. :o

Thanks again for all the well wishes, I certainly don't mean this to come across snobby, but the only people who know what a dog breeder goes through are fellow dog bre

Well all is going okay, my littlest guy was losing energy and starting to worry me, couldnt suckle for long. I put him in one of my exotic bird incubators (its called a Water Nannie) and tube fed him twice after he warmed up and now he is feeding with gusto!

I was really worried about Selah taking all the pups after the C, but she loves them all and has been an excellent mother, however, in typical mastiff fashion she turns her nose up at licking poo (really, can I blame her there) so I have a couple pups with cruty poo butts I had to soak tonight to dislodge..but other than that, they seem to be thriving.

Anyone with crusty poo removal tips??? My last litter, i just soaked the few that I got in warm water and was able to clean it up that way, just wondering if there was some magic bullet out there I am not aware of..

Hannah, thanks I jumped over there right away to take a look around.

Edited by Lynai

Anyone with crusty poo removal tips??? My last litter, i just soaked the few that I got in warm water and was able to clean it up that way, just wondering if there was some magic bullet out there I am not aware of..

Ummm...yeah, don't let them get that way in the first place.

Well yes indeed, that would be the magic bullet.

Well yes indeed, that would be the magic bullet.

I'm not being facetious by the way. Keeping puppies clean is part of Husbandry 101. If the bitch won't do it, then you have to. There is no excuse for shitty puppies really. I daresay if you see the bedding is shitty, you change it and wash it. The puppies are the same. If you see it, clean it.

warm water with a few drops of almond oil in it, and cotton balls or very soft tissues, after each feed pick up puppy and dip the ball or tissue in the warm water, wipe towards the tail gently and repeatedly.

this will stimulate regular wees & movements and you'll soon be moving on to small soft towels as the volume increases if Selah won't do it. :)

fifi

warm water with a few drops of almond oil in it, and cotton balls or very soft tissues, after each feed pick up puppy and dip the ball or tissue in the warm water, wipe towards the tail gently and repeatedly.<br style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 17.600000381469727px; background-color: rgb(238, 242, 247); "><br style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 17.600000381469727px; background-color: rgb(238, 242, 247); ">this will stimulate regular wees & movements and you'll soon be moving on to small soft towels as the volume increases if Selah won't do it. :)

yes.

She will possibly catch on when the exhaustion and confusion settles - remember, she had a C section , and may not have become accustomed to teh smell/action of cleaning

What does she do if you present her with a puppy after a feed? Any interest in sniffing/licking?

Maybe toilet them in front of her nose ..and see if she is interested .....

Actually she is starting to now clean them up very nicely. Unfortunately the poop got stuck to a butt when they were in their container and one must of been stimulated enough crawling around to pass some by the time I was able to notice it, it was crusty.

Oh and the bedding gets changed regularly and is for the most part spotless...yes it's 101

I do know that I have to be the one to make sure they are clean, and I have been washing them and such after each feeding, and before I put them back into their container away from mom, it is cleaned as well..yes 101, unfortunately I missed one pooping in its box while I was sleeping, sh*t happens, literally and I will stand up and say I am not perfect I cannot look at them every minute and I must sleep, and I'm seeking help from other imperfect people, who, God forbid, may have had to deal with this themselves.

Thanks Fifi.

Edited by Lynai

you just have to be careful if its dry that you have not pulled any skin away with the dry faeces and created little tiny sores, which can then get infected by the constant run of faeces over the exposed area :) if all is good with the puppy thats great, if you do notice little spot of sore area, you need to get the puppy some antibiotics from the vet and dose everyday and also warm wash the area and apply some liquid betadine aswell :)

When do we get to see photos of the babies :provoke:

you just have to be careful if its dry that you have not pulled any skin away with the dry faeces and created little tiny sores, which can then get infected by the constant run of faeces over the exposed area :) if all is good with the puppy thats great, if you do notice little spot of sore area, you need to get the puppy some antibiotics from the vet and dose everyday and also warm wash the area and apply some liquid betadine aswell :)

When do we get to see photos of the babies :provoke:

Oh yes, i have pics and I will post, and thanks for tips one and all, if it should rear it's ugly head, I will try some of these, hopefully it wont. It came off easy enough, well okay not easy but it hadn't been on for terribley long when I discovered it, I was just looking for perhaps some other way of doing it. Thanks for the advise :)

Yes, hopefully your girl will get the idea :D If a mum is a bit relucant I'll often hold up the 'productive' end and if they begin to clean, I say 'lick.lick..lick..lick' in a praising voice. With a bit of repitition, before long they are pretty proactive !

no-one is watching remember !!! :laugh: what happens with tired breeders in the whelping box...stays in the whelping box !!)

Yes Lynai...piccies :D

fifi

My apologies if you took what I wrote the wrong way, however when you wrote the above, it sounded like crusty bottoms are a regular issue for you, hence my reply.

If you didn't know, Mastiff litters are supervised pretty much 24/7! But unfortunately in that split second that you may not be watching them one might do a poop on it's own and spread it round the box and all over itself and the others, ick! and it is like glue sometimes and the mums, well, i know Mini she was disgusted at the thought of pooping them herself! Hope everything is still going well xx

If you didn't know, Mastiff litters are supervised pretty much 24/7! But unfortunately in that split second that you may not be watching them one might do a poop on it's own and spread it round the box and all over itself and the others, ick! and it is like glue sometimes and the mums, well, i know Mini she was disgusted at the thought of pooping them herself! Hope everything is still going well xx

Yep, basically what Hannah said...

No on-going crusty bottoms are not an issue, it is the occasional one that is a problem as I cannot leave them with their mother, even if she is a good cleaner, for a split second..so they must sleep away from from her and sleeping on their own...basically what Hannah said, and then poo can happen and it, yes, has happened before when in their boxes, doesn't last long, just looking for tips from people willing to help.

Well enough, I have good news, and good news...by little one is doing fantastic, few tube feedings and time in the "Water Nannie" (an exotic birdbrooder)and berfoe you know it, he popped back up and is doing well, of course I have to still watch them all like hawk.

Selah is being and excellent mother and has now started to clean them really well after feeding which makes my job less messy. Still however can have the occasional poo in the box regardless...

Edited by Lynai

I give up, you're obviously missing my point.

But I'll part by saying that my litters are also supervised 24/7 for the first 3 weeks (at least) so whether mastiff, Stafford, American Cocker or whatever is immaterial. I'm not claiming that my litters are perfectly clean all the time, or that my whelping box material never gets covered in crap because that would be a lie. HOWEVER, a puppy which is left long enough for a crap to get crusty is a puppy that has been left too long full stop. Crap gets crusty when it dries, it takes time to dry. Crap can cause infections in puppies, no matter how robust so it is (and should be) cleaned as soon as it is noticed and not allowed to dry out. End of story.

It doesn't matter whether mum does it, or the humans do it, it has to go.

Good luck with your litter. I won't contribute any more. Except to say that it is funny how certain people are ok with your puppies having shit on them but if it had been me or other posters, there would have been much baying for blood.

I give up, you're obviously missing my point.

But I'll part by saying that my litters are also supervised 24/7 for the first 3 weeks (at least) so whether mastiff, Stafford, American Cocker or whatever is immaterial. I'm not claiming that my litters are perfectly clean all the time, or that my whelping box material never gets covered in crap because that would be a lie. HOWEVER, a puppy which is left long enough for a crap to get crusty is a puppy that has been left too long full stop. Crap gets crusty when it dries, it takes time to dry. Crap can cause infections in puppies, no matter how robust so it is (and should be) cleaned as soon as it is noticed and not allowed to dry out. End of story.

It doesn't matter whether mum does it, or the humans do it, it has to go.

Good luck with your litter. I won't contribute any more. Except to say that it is funny how certain people are ok with your puppies having shit on them but if it had been me or other posters, there would have been much baying for blood.

don't you ever sleep Ellz? Course poo can get crusty in only a very short time, you only need a smear, a warm box and hey presto, a crusty poo. I don't think anybody is talking about a poo an inch think that has dried totally.

OMG get off your high horse! You must NEED some sleep. It's great that you can contribute, but no need to be so condescending, Lynai is doing a fab job and simply asked for advice, which she kindly got from others. As soon as poop is seen of course it is cleaned off as soon as possible...