Focus On Focus

tlc

Just thought Id pop another challenge up, this is all about focus, I know all different cameras have different set ups with how they focus and lens will factor into it as well. but thought it might be interesting to see/hear people opinions on photos posted.

Having a new camera I am having some issues with focus but slowly getting there. The focus system on the 7D is quite comprehensive, if any other 7D'ers would like to add how they use the focus system best on this particular camera for my benefit I'd be eternally grateful. I think after the last couple of days practice I am finally getting it. I have some pics to upload just waiting for them to transfer to the computer.

So post away, pictures, comments, tips, anything to do with focus!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when I first got my 7D I used to take it to bed with me, read the manual and play with the settings in the hope that it would sink in. For alot of the time I used to say those words in the manual might have just as well been little black ants running over the page for all the sense they made to me, but gradually, with more reading, more mucking about with the controls, and lots more practice I started to get the hang of it. I'm still in awe of that camera and all it can do, and I probably haven't used a 100th of what it's capable of.

Annie I was using one shot but now if the dogs are running I have been using IA Servo and if they are still I use AI focus, the way I understand it is if the subject is moving AI Servo tracks and focuses and AI focus is good if the subject is still but seems to be more intelligent and can tell if the subject moves and will move with it. Does this sound right?

Kirislin, I have been the same and have had a good play today and yesterday, probably choosing a more challenging shoot in a bowling alley, talk about jump in the deep end, I got a few shots that Im happy with.

I hope I can get the hang of it, I know practice makes perfect. :laugh: I wish the guy in the shop had not have said to me why not get the 5Dmk3, (he obviously works on commission, :laugh: ) but it was so much more than I wanted to or could afford to spend at this time. But Im guessing the 5D has a similar focus system. Ive been following a 5D FB page and wow some of the photos they are posting are just amazing! I have to stop thinking that way and get on with learning how to use what I have then when I do upgrade (whenever that may be ) Ill be prepared. I think coming from Nikon and being so used to that its been an interesting conversion!

Edited by tlc

Annie I was using one shot but now if the dogs are running I have been using IA Servo and if they are still I use AI focus, the way I understand it is if the subject is moving AI Servo tracks and focuses and AI focus is good if the subject is still but seems to be more intelligent and can tell if the subject moves and will move with it. Does this sound right?

That's not what I mean - are you using spot / single point / point expansion / zone / 19 point AF?

That's not what I mean - are you using spot / single point / point expansion / zone / 19 point AF?

I have been experimenting with all of them. :laugh: I have been having trouble with the 50mm on the dogs, I have discovered if I use zone and toggle it to the top zone the focus will be on the dogs eyes, I had a good go at that today, will post some pics shortly (if they are any good. :laugh: ) I figured out how to quick toggle between different modes with the button furtherest right under the display window and then the button on the top just left of the shutter, then toggle to the area I need, Geez its complicated you need ten hands and if you need to do it quick its hard. Is there any way you can get all 19 focus points to work all together? I stupidly thought the 19 point AF would all work together if you wanted or needed them too?

:eek: I just opened that 7D link on POTN and wow, some of them shots just not he first page are amazing! I have only made one thread and only posted in that so far, HERE I find there is so much info and the whole forum is very intimidating to me. :( So I will read for now and take it from there, I'm such a wussy. :laugh: I have read a lot of the harsh smart arsed answers and just think :eek: some of these people think they are photography Gods, and they probably are but sheesh no need to talk to people like they are second rate citizens!

have you been on there a long time? I do love it for all the awesome info and photos people post.

tlc - I recommend that you choose spot/single point focus and use ONE point until you are confident that you can nail focus each time. You can toggle the point to where you want it in the frame, but imho this will help you start to get your camera to work for you and once you master that, then move on to another mode.

you can still use AI Servo etc for moving dogs.

And LOL on the reaction to POTN, there are some twats on there - stay off Fred Miranda coz it makes POTN look like a warm fuzzy fest :D

Edited by kja

tlc - I recommend that you choose spot/single point focus and use ONE point until you are confident that you can nail focus each time. You can toggle the point to where you want it in the frame, but imho this will help you start to get your camera to work for you and once you master that, then move on to another mode.

And LOL on the reaction to POTN, there are some twats on there - stay off Fred Miranda coz it makes POTN look like a warm fuzzy fest :D

Its really cut throat isn't it. :laugh: Fred Miranda? Is that another forum? Ill google!

So simply put with the single point focus, say I want to take a shot of the dogs face, toggle the single point to the eyes if that is what I want to focus on?

Thanks so much for all the awesome info, I have a few pics form today, I think the focus is ok, let me know what you guys think. Its doggies again, sorry to be repetitive but its what i shoot the most I just want to get it right!

Getting all 4 in focus together has been a challenge, I used the brush in LR on the first two as Bronz was in the sun and he was a bit blown out compared to the others. Will spot focus still work ok if I am shooting all 4 dogs at once? or will it just concentrate the focus on one dog?

e1fabd55.jpg

06c9d72e.jpg

9a29edeb.jpg

62f44810.jpg

c787480f.jpg

88791285.jpg

cf7455d5.jpg

97a88f6d.jpg

Edited by tlc

Ok, for the selfie project. I think someone was asking about focus for selfies.

This is my method:

Camera on tripod.

Set the f/stop etc

Set to self timer.

Set up something in your position in the image - ie broom.

Focus on broom.

Switch focus to manual.

Press shutter, get yourself into position.

Rinse and repeat.

This was this afternoons set up (ignore the orange broom, the camera didn't want to focus on the handle because it was too similar to the wall).

ISO 1600

f2.5

1/50th of a second

(I totally don't recommend starting so wide open, stop down to something like f5.6 - I had no choice because it was getting so dark).

web77931343893112.jpg

And the final product:

7696471824_ba090fb6eb_z.jpg

Its really cut throat isn't it. :laugh: Fred Miranda? Is that another forum? Ill google!

So simply put with the single point focus, say I want to take a shot of the dogs face, toggle the single point to the eyes if that is what I want to focus on?

Yep. Exactly that :)

Thats awesome Huga, question why do you change the focus to manual, is that so the focus will stay in the same spot, I guess you could manually focus instead of auto as well. Did you use extend (i think thats what its called) in PS for your wall? Love the negative space in this shot!

I switch to manual because it means the focus stays in the same spot and I don't have to refocus (therefore having to move my broom effort) all the time. I can just push the shutter without the camera hunting - does that make sense?

I auto focus to begin with because I find it more accurate than my eyes :laugh:

Yes, I extended the wall :)

Will spot focus still work ok if I am shooting all 4 dogs at once? or will it just concentrate the focus on one dog?

regardless of what focus type you use, only one 'spot' will be used by the camera to focus, so if shooting multiple dogs you have to think about your setting to get them all in focus.

Have you downloaded the software that came with your camera? Have a quick look at your pics in zoom browser - you can click on the "show auto focus points' on the top tool bar - this will show you the focus point on the photo and might help.

I switch to manual because it means the focus stays in the same spot and I don't have to refocus (therefore having to move my broom effort) all the time. I can just push the shutter without the camera hunting - does that make sense?

I auto focus to begin with because I find it more accurate than my eyes :laugh:

Yes, I extended the wall :)

Yes that makes perfect sense and once you have auto focused and change it to Manual it won't move. I don't like manual focus because I always second guess myself as to if I have to spot on or not.

Will spot focus still work ok if I am shooting all 4 dogs at once? or will it just concentrate the focus on one dog?

regardless of what focus type you use, only one 'spot' will be used by the camera to focus, so if shooting multiple dogs you have to think about your setting to get them all in focus.

yep ok, I am happy with the ones I took of all 4 today, I think they all look like they are in focus, well to my eye they do. :laugh: