Colour Conundrum

mixeduppup

So i asked this in the coolie thread but will ask here as well.

My friend recently adopted a Coolie pup, cute as a button but her colour has many people stumped, she seems too dark to be a red merle but too light to be a blue..she has red and blue mixed together...is this possible to be a "multi" merle? What do you think? As far as we know her father was a similar colour to her and her mother was black with a merle patch on her backside or something like that (if they were even her parents)

Milly.jpg

She appears to have a black nose so must be blue merle with tan points. She could also be sable or seal merle but it hard to tell from the photo and at this age. I certainly hope both her parents did not have merle on them as it is unethical and stupid to breed merle to merle in any breed.

Just a bit concerned, if she is merle to merle what does that mean for her health wise?

I am also very interested in this, as we recently adopted a merle cattle dog pup. Had no idea her colour could present a health risk?

Merle x Merle breedings can produce double Merles (lethal whites), which can have sight, hearing and/or organ issues. It's a 25% chance for every puppy produced by Merle x Merle to be a double Merle, with life long issues. IMO its very unethical and you should run from breeders putting their puppies at risk like that.

Just a bit concerned, if she is merle to merle what does that mean for her health wise?

I am also very interested in this, as we recently adopted a merle cattle dog pup. Had no idea her colour could present a health risk?

Often in cattle dogs people use the term merle for one without face markings. Its not the same 'merle' that other breeds have.

Often in cattle dogs people use the term merle for one without face markings. Its not the same 'merle' that other breeds have.

What do you mean by "one without face markings?".....what sort of markings are you referring to?

What do you mean by "one without face markings?".....what sort of markings are you referring to?

Double or single eye patches, or full or half masks. When I say its not the same 'merle' used to describe BC's, Aussies, Collies, Coolies, Great Danes ect I mean its not the one which produces the lethal white gene.

Edited by Inevitablue

There is nothing wrong with a merle dog (ie. one with one copy of the gene). Cattle dogs aren't merle, that is ticking I believe :)

Most double merle dogs (ie. with two copies of the merle gene) have hearing and sight issues but NOT all. I believe it's unethical to breed merle x merle but not all double merles have problems.

To the OP, that looks like a blue merle with tan points to me. I've noticed in coolies, and sometimes working line bcs too, that the tan can be muddied and patchy compared to what most people are used to, giving you the look of that coolie pup in the photo.

A normal merle only needs one copy of the gene that makes it merle, as merle is dominant. So call merle 'M' and not merle 'm'.

If you mate a merle dog with a not merle dog, you will have pups in the litter that will be either Mm or mm, so either merle or not merle.

If you mate two merle dogs (both are Mm) you have a chance of getting a litter with MM, Mm and mm. So, double merles, normal merles and not merles.

It's when the merle gene doubles up (MM) that it causes problems. That means that not all pups resulting from a merle x merle mating will necessarily be affected (the Mm and mm pups), but there is a good chance some will be, which is why merle x merle matings are a bad idea.

Double merles are generally characterised by being mostly white with very little merle and small eyes - sometimes affected pups are born with no eyes at all. Many have deafness and blindness issues.

eta: wuffles has already explained it, whoops :o

Edited by mr.mister

Merle x Merle breedings can produce double Merles (lethal whites), which can have sight, hearing and/or organ issues. It's a 25% chance for every puppy produced by Merle x Merle to be a double Merle, with life long issues. IMO its very unethical and you should run from breeders putting their puppies at risk like that.

Agreed.