Can All Dogs Swim?

Robbi

I haven't had a dog that couldn't swim, and I've had a few different types over the years. Two of my border collies used to do the whole head under water to pick things up from the bottom of the lake/river

A fellow I used to go out with had a Weimaraner, and she was hopeless. She would be practically vertical, with front legs completely straight out in front of her, splashing on the surface of the water. She could manage to keep her head above water that way, but she never actually managed to travel anywhere :laugh:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the greyhounds we've had have been quite scared of water so I'd have to assume they're not great swimmers. Most of them will go out of their way to avoid stepping in puddles or on wet grass so actual water would be out of the question.

Of the one dog who seemed to enjoy water, she'd climb into the paddling pool and then try to lie down- with her nose under water. So.. probably safe to assume she'd not be a good swimmer either, given she didn't seem to understand that she had oxygen requirements.

Most of the greyhounds we've had have been quite scared of water so I'd have to assume they're not great swimmers. Most of them will go out of their way to avoid stepping in puddles or on wet grass so actual water would be out of the question.

Of the one dog who seemed to enjoy water, she'd climb into the paddling pool and then try to lie down- with her nose under water. So.. probably safe to assume she'd not be a good swimmer either, given she didn't seem to understand that she had oxygen requirements.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: That is frickin hilarious!!!

I don't know if mine can swim but I assume they can because they are well built and lean. They hate the water though. Lucy once stepped into a pond (covered in algae that she thought was grass), panicked and landed up running into the pond to escape the water. She froze with sock and I had to use the lead to yank her out.

I haven't had a dog that couldn't swim, and I've had a few different types over the years. Two of my border collies used to do the whole head under water to pick things up from the bottom of the lake/river

A fellow I used to go out with had a Weimaraner, and she was hopeless. She would be practically vertical, with front legs completely straight out in front of her, splashing on the surface of the water. She could manage to keep her head above water that way, but she never actually managed to travel anywhere :laugh:

That's exactly how Lola starts off, until her head goes under the surface.

But she thinks she's all Pamela Anderson in Baywatch and dashes into any body of water all athletic-like.

So now we swim safe.

5308832751_058801d606_z.jpg

Edited by huga

I would think all dogs have the potential to swim, but it would be best if they are introduced to it whilst still young, and introduced slowly - i.e not throwing them into the water.

It's probably the case that some breeds are better suited to it due to body type such as gun dogs and sheep/cattle dogs, and some breeds have a greater affinity for water. Bigger dogs mostly find it easier than smaller dogs- my small dog struggles when there are waves!