Can All Dogs Swim?

Robbi

Yesterday my friend and I were walking the dogs around the River Torrens in Adelaide, we were standing near the edge of the bank near the festival centre watching a family of swans, Yogi and Abbie were on their leashes standing next to me .

Abbie took a step towards the water, lost her footing and literally torpedoed into the water, she didn't pop back up and it was fortunate that I had the leash firmly around my wrist, my friend and I reached down into the water and grabbed her by her collar and easy-walk harness and managed to pull her up onto the bank.

My question is can all dogs swim or not? Abbie didn't seem to try to paddle or struggle and I fear she would have drowned if we had not been there :eek:

Abbie is a 35kg Amstaff x, she doesn't like water and wont ever go near it at the beach or our dam, she was found as a pup wandering the streets of Bankstown in Sydney so maybe never saw water as a pup,would this make a difference in her swim ability?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Left to flounder, which of course you cannot do, I would guess that she would have started to swim but possibly not been able to get out.

The shock of falling in would have stunned her & made her motionless temporarily.

I let 2 of my poodles off leash at a beach once for the first time ever. They were a few years old & had not been near water before. They swam out to sea & wouldn't come when called so I had to swim out, fully clothed to get them.

Maybe there are some dogs that can't but I doubt it, even cats can swim although they don't like too, mostly.

Yesterday my friend and I were walking the dogs around the River Torrens in Adelaide, we were standing near the edge of the bank near the festival centre watching a family of swans, Yogi and Abbie were on their leashes standing next to me .

Abbie took a step towards the water, lost her footing and literally torpedoed into the water, she didn't pop back up and it was fortunate that I had the leash firmly around my wrist, my friend and I reached down into the water and grabbed her by her collar and easy-walk harness and managed to pull her up onto the bank.

My question is can all dogs swim or not? Abbie didn't seem to try to paddle or struggle and I fear she would have drowned if we had not been there :eek:

Abbie is a 35kg Amstaff x, she doesn't like water and wont ever go near it at the beach or our dam, she was found as a pup wandering the streets of Bankstown in Sydney so maybe never saw water as a pup,would this make a difference in her swim ability?

I almost lost a young doberman years ago when we went to the beach for the first time and he ran after our other dog who had leaped into the water off a high sand dune....young fellow followed, leaped in and went straight down just like yours :eek: ..I had to go in and pull him up. He never went near the water again he got such a fright. I now always make sure I gradually take any new dog into the water so I can be sure they CAN swim as we have a dam and a swimming pool here.

I will be extra vigilant around water with Abbie from now on,I didn't realise some dogs were unable to stay afloat. My Whippet is quite a water baby as were my previous dogs. This has been a warning to me about water safety and dogs.

We had a doberman years ago that jumped out of the boat with us kids for a swim, and Dad had to save him as he sank.

Our greyhound seemingly can't swim either. We were camping at the beach, took both dogs out in the water. DH carried Harry out as he didn't want walk out with us, but when he let Harry go, he just floated onto his side, and started to sink. DH had to pick him back up and hold onto him. He didn't seem to hate the water, but didn't swim.

My old stafford couldn't swim. He would sink and not even try.

I thInk my current lad would swim fine. He loves the water and tries to get in the bath, shower all the time.

He swims in his clam shell but it's not really deep enough. He likes to put his head right under the water.

My boy (swf) can swim for a few metres and then its like his back legs don't paddle fast enough so his back end sinks. Once he's verticle he sinks straight away so I'm always very careful with him and the water.

I think your Abbi might be able to swim but the shock of falling in took it out of her for a few minutes. I also think some dogs just need to be taught how to do it.

Seems to be alot of Dobermanns about that can not swim? Brutus can't swim. He will only go into water if it is flat calm and he can stand on the bottom, beyond that he cant. He jumped into a pool when I was in there, scratched me to bits as I rescued him and pushed him out of the water, legs flailing everywhere but he was sinking none the less.

My grandads dobe couldnt swim either, he ran off the edge of a dock and dove straight into the water after my grandad who was in a boat, he ended up having to jump in and save him, he also fell into a deep tidal rock pool and had to be rescued.

So that's 2 dobes in the family that cant swim, never had a problem with any of the 6 Dachshunds we had over the years they could all swim without hassle.

My GSDs could swim and loved it, staffy.......not so much lol! His back end would sink and we'd have to help him in! My JRT/Foxy cross is not a fan of the water, neither is my Tibetan x, however they love coming on the kayaks with us :)

My JRT x once chased a dragonfly right off the kayak and went straight down, she popped up quick enough so we could pull her out but she was very sheepish for a while......

Gus hated water at first, and we didnt know if he could swim, but OH threw him into the water and instinct kicked in... he paddled to the shore like a drowned otter... :) after that it was lots of positive association with water... usually me going in there with him.. now as soon as his off lead his in any form of water he can find paddling like a goose, but he won’t swim to far away from me he gets unsure if im not close.

Two out of our three Dobes swim just fine. My two have been swimming at the dog pool for a couple of years now, so they WERE introduced to it gradually. My girl swims like a water rat, my boy like a brick with legs, lol. The boy also need to hold a plastic dumbell while he is swimming. If you take that from him, he flounders and sinks *eyeroll*

Our third Dobe, on his first trip to the dog pool just stepped off the side unexpectedly and sank. Had to haul him out by collar and floatie jacket. He gave himself a big scare and now avoids water at all costs. I think he can/ is able to swim, but is now fearful after his experience.

Edited by LuvsDobes

my former neighbours two staffies would sink like stones but Angel would walk along the bottom i think as she always emerged on the opposite side of the dam..looking smug and very very pleased with herself. This happened everytime we all went into the dam paddock

H