Where To Start?

Hi guys,

My name is Lauren and I have a 22mnth old BC, Ollie. He's the first dog I've owned on my own (I'm 22) and I'm feeling a little overwhelmed when it comes to dog sports/agility.

He's a great family member and is well behaved with his basic commands and recall. I don't know much about dog sports but I think it's something that both Ol and I would enjoy.

From what I've read I feel like I've missed the boat a little with teaching him the correct methods, I live in Gladstone (central Queensland) and I'm not sure about the clubs here.

Can anyone give me any pointers or info? I've looked into the K9 Pro long distance programs but I'm not sure if that's the right thing I need.

Thanks!

Lauren

I don't think you've missed the boat at all in fact if you haven't been to club training classes then you are probably in a really great position to teach behaviours the way you want and you won't have bad habits to unteach! Where and how to start depends entirely on what you want to do with your dog. The best advice I can give is read and learn as much as you can, watch youtube videos and have fun training your dog!

If you do want to join a club in your area, go for a nosy round, without your dog. See how they train and what they do a get a feel for the club and see if it's the right one for you. You will know. Goodluck with your training.

There is a lot of foundation work you can do away from the club at home as well :)

When I have a second I'll write down some of them for you - just about to go out

I found the book "Shaping Success" by Susan Garrett an excellent book for foundation work. When training a new dog this book is my bible!! I highly receommend getting this asap so you can start training at home.

FYI - by foundation work we mean exercises done without equipment that will assist you greatly when you start on equipment.

Hi Ljhd & welcome :)

I am in a very similar situation to you only I have 2 BC 's that I would love to get into agility. Sorry I am of no real help to you. I do know that as long as your dog is healthy, you can still teach them & participate in Agility etc. they are never too old to learn. I have just started to watch a few DVDs on foundation work. Interested to read what other knowledgable DOL's have to say about what prep exercises we can do with our dogs.

Will watch this thread with great interest :)

Edited by BC Crazy

OK some foundation work:

* Most important is your reward system! Engagement/relationship building so they are happy to work with you in any environment. Ideally this is tugging, or active games/running/chasing with food. Keep it active, keep it fun!

* Recall. I know that sounds boring but there are some great recall games around - restrained recall is also great for speed

* Rear end awareness exercises - walking through a ladder, walk backwards, perchwork, shaping 4 feet in a box etc

* Circle work/shadow handling

* Sending ahead to a toy or bait bag, focus on the toy/bait bag and not on you for focus forward on obstacles

You're not hijacking at all! By all means ask away, I'm glad I'm not the only one :D

I'm going to sus out the agility club here next week and I'm buying my book from Amazon- unless anyone can recommend somewhere in Aus I can find it?

Link

This is where I buy my agility books and DVDs.

shadow handling and circle work...

imagine the dog is your shadow. Can you run and have the dog stay next to you, if you change direction - or does the dog cut in front of you (trip you up) or cross behind you (blind cross), or run anywhere but with you?

What you want is a dog that will run next to you - either on the left or the right but not both unless you signal a change of side... ie the dog needs to work both sides, but not sneak behind you or trip you up in front.

Start line stays are another great fun game to do without equipment. Ie can your dog stay until you release. Even if you run by? When you release - will the dog run towards you flat out - or do they go sniff? Does it matter if you run at the same time or stand still?

Stella is good at staying next to me but with limited distractions but she will sometimes cross behind me. She can do stays well up until the part when I start to run or move quickly away from her or past her, then she is like, "well I'm coming to".

It's the whole movement thing I think. Just better keep practising. I am probably not training her enough either. I only do 10 mins a day just her & I on basic commands. Not sure if that is long enough. Not very imaginative when it comes training ideas, even bore myself as I go over the same old stuff. This is one area that I really need to make much more interesting for Stella as I can tell she is so very keen to work.

Thanks for clarifying that for me mrs rusty bucket :)

BC Crazy - I only train for 10-15 minutes at home. I purposely keep my sessions short as i always end when the dog wants more so next time they are eager to work for me. The only time I train longer is when I go to class.

If you want some more training ideas the Shaping Success book I mentioned will help with this :)

The main foundation exercises I work on before using equipment are:

- clicker and shaping

The book Shaping Success has a good game "you choose" which introduces shaping to you dog

- Games: Chase, drive, Tugging

The chasing games I start before the shadowing handling. I have realised with my 18 month old dog I have not done enough drive work. She is too focused on me and not the obstacle in front of her. These are in the Shaping Success book

- Crate training

I use Susan Garrett's method which she has a DVD. This teaches control, which you need for start line stays, and drive

- Shadow handling

Just google this and you find utube clips

- nose targets eventually moving onto plant work

This is to teach the end behavior for contacts. The Shaping Success book has how to do this.

Forgot to mention, I have listed these in the order I would teach them. But even when I get to nose target work, I am still doing all the others. Also this is on top if basic obedience such as sit, down and stay.

And lastly.....must be fun, fun, fun for your dog.

Edited by buddy1