What Is This Disease?

Some friends have a dog that is very ill. It's being treated at the vet, and the vet knows what it's got but the owners cannot remember the name, they said it's a long name. I am just curious so I might be able to look it up online.

The dog's immune system is attacking the red blood cells. It's not leukemia I know that much. It's being treated with cortisone (I think) and some type of tablets you have to wear gloves to administer so I'm imagining they're pretty high powered, maybe radioactive?? not sure. The dog is very weak and anaemic (sp?) They've been told a blood transfusion is the last resort. Apparently there's not much point because the red blood cells will just be destroyed again.

Does anyone know what this might be?

immune mediated hemolytic anemia?

Yes, or Immune Mediated Thrombocytopaenia.

I have had 2 dogs with it. One died. One survived.

Both diseases are extremely nasty.

The blood transfusions are to assist whilst the dogs immune system is becoming supressed by the drugs to stop it killing off platelets or cells. Blood transfusions can work, but not always.

One of my bitches (the surviving one) had 5 blood transfusions and 3 plasma transfusions before she turned the corner... and even then it was still a long road to recover with sever muscle atrophy owing to the cortisone and also stomach ulcers owing to the drugs.

But we did make it. There is hope, but it is a deadly disease. Every case is different.

I wish them all the luck. Please let us know how they go.

Edited by dyzney

I think you are right, that sounds exactly like it. He's been very ill for almost a week now and doesn't seem to be improving. He goes to the vet every morning for a blood test and temperature, and is getting his meds but he just lays there, very tired and weak. :( I hope he isn't in pain. :(

Immune mediated thrommbocytopenia or IMT is where the immune system attacks its own platelets which can lead to uncontrolled haemorrhage.

Immune mediated hemolytic anemia or IMHA is where red blood cells are attacked leading to anemia

They both have similar clinical signs though and animals can have both forms at the same time, when this occurs it is called Evan's syndrome.

I hope your friend's dog recovers

My girl had suspected AIHA but the test came back inconclusive. she was treated as if she did. She had a blood transfusion because she was about as low in red blood cells as you could go. I think she was on medication for a month and then gradually weaned off. She has never had a problem since. She was 8 months at the time. She is 8 now. She has never been re-vaccinated (not even 12 month booster). She successfully had a litter of 6. Will never know if it was AIHA but she was one very sick dog at the time.

Yes cyclosporine is the one you have to wear gloves for. My bitch was on this, along with several other drugs.

One of my dogs was treated at home, the one that died (but her platelet count had not dropped as low as my other dog), the other was hospitalised for over a week in emergency, then once she came out we were at Melb Referal Centre every other day for months. It is long long road to recovery.

thanks everyone. I find it kinda sad that so many of you know what it is and my question was answered so quickly. :( I haven't spoken to them today, I dont want to bother them, they have alot of their plate at the moment. I was hoping to go back with stories of hope and optimism, but after reading of your experiences I think I'll just keep my mouth shut and let them know I'm thinking of them. :cry:

Our Flynn had IMHA and SRMA ... diagnosed when he was 6 months old. He is now 3 years old and quite the healthy chap. Our vet was learning with the combination of his illnesses but things I would advise from our experience, what I read on forums and on the net .... the best chance is to use a combination therapy ... Flynn only started on prednisone for his SRMA ... five weeks later we were dealing with IMHA and a PCV of 15 so we added azathrioprine. Another option as mentioned in earlier posts is cycloporine. The other thing is that because of the high doses of pred is is advisable to use a stomach protectant eg. zantac. It is a battle and unfortunately a lot of dogs do not make it. This article is quite good in explaining IMHA http://veterinarynews.dvm360.com/dvm/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=398258

I dont want to bother them too much so I last rang them 2 days ago. His blood count had risen very slightly. I dont know what the tests mean (something to do with red blood cells I suppose) but she said it had gone from 25 to 27 but needs to be in the 40's