Sturdy Enough For A Border Collie?

Rilla-My-Rilla

I asked about dog crates some time ago (http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/233497-dog-crates/page__p__5708433__fromsearch__1#entry5708433) and someone recommended that I shop here - http://www.pethomesdirect.com.au/

That was before I got Rilla, my Border Collie, and knew how destructive she would or wouldn't be. I was hoping not to have to buy a crate for her, but to simply get away with using a small puppy play pen until she was toilet trained/not chewing any more.

She's been home less then a week, and yesterday she discovered how to climb out over the top of the pen, and since she did this when I wasn't in the room, had her first toileting accident.

She's fine in her play pen during the day, she just lies down and goes to sleep. It's only when she is not tired or needs to go the toilet that she makes a big fuss. I don't like to confine her when she wants to play, but sometimes I just can't supervise her and need to have her somewhere safe that she can't escape. Other than climbing out, she sometimes pulls the pins out enough to squeeze out. Luckily she hasn't yet figured out the door, but when I was watching her this morning, I don't think it will be long.

I like the look of the crates at Pet Homes Direct (link above), and since they are in Brisbane, I figured that it shouldn't take long to get here, and also their prices are reasonable. I was just wondering it any knew if those crates were tough enough for a Border Collie? She hasn't knocked her pen over of anything yet....

:( sounds as if she does not want to toilet in her pen?

What about the bunning's panels ? use a couple of sets ...Then she could have a decent sized pen ..with a fake grass toilet area?

LINK TO DISCUSSION here

Any reason she cannot go outside?

Oh yes she goes outside, I take her out all the time. She even has her mid morning sleep outside, so that she gets used to the sights and sounds of our farm.

Her accident was my fault last night, as she had just been 15 minutes before, but hadn't pooed, and so while I was brushing my teeth in the bathroom, she escaped (she sleeps in my bedroom) and had an accident.

I'm training her to go outside.

That was me who recommended them as I have several crates from here.

I did alot of research and these crates as an good, if not better, than other crates for double the prices.

I think they are as tough as a crate is going to get. They have 2 latches on each door so it would be pretty hard to a dog to escape.

Also I noticed they now come standard with a divider - which is perfect when you have a pup.

Just also wanted to add that if Rilla hadn't figured out how to escape her pen, then she would have given her 'I need to go the toilet' cry, and I would have taken her outside. I'm also not comfortable going out for any length of time with her in that pen, as she could escape and chew something/ hurt herself escaping.

She won't be crated for very long, just over night and when she sleeps, and as I previously mentioned for a few minutes in the times that I cannot supervise.

That was me who recommended them as I have several crates from here.

I did alot of research and these crates as an good, if not better, than other crates for double the prices.

I think they are as tough as a crate is going to get. They have 2 latches on each door so it would be pretty hard to a dog to escape.

Also I noticed they now come standard with a divider - which is perfect when you have a pup.

Thanks, I think I will probably go with one of these as they seem very reasonable :)

:( sounds as if she does not want to toilet in her pen?

What about the bunning's panels ? use a couple of sets ...Then she could have a decent sized pen ..with a fake grass toilet area?

LINK TO DISCUSSION here

Any reason she cannot go outside?

Border puppies climb out of things because they can and the Bunnings panels are no challenge at all to them. If you use cable ties or occy straps to connect things, they chew them off. They are the ultimate escape artist breed if they want to be. My current dog can open trolleys and crates with spring loaded doors. Some never climb and others are like monkeys so always need a pen with a roof or a crate. Some never try to escape a yard as adults, some climb and while most are quite capable of hopping over a 7' fence they thankfully don't realise it.

Stella is very good at opening the crate door when ever she feels inclined :o:angeldevil: luckily that isn't very often. They love a challenge & as we all know are little smarty pants.

I have never had a climber or a fence jumper thankfully but have heard horrendous stories of them scaling fences like there not there.

Edited by BC Crazy

Border puppies climb out of things because they can and the Bunnings panels are no challenge at all to them. If you use cable ties or occy straps to connect things, they chew them off. They are the ultimate escape artist breed if they want to be. My current dog can open trolleys and crates with spring loaded doors. Some never climb and others are like monkeys so always need a pen with a roof or a crate. Some never try to escape a yard as adults, some climb and while most are quite capable of hopping over a 7' fence they thankfully don't realise it.

It definitely depends on the individual - I have never had 1 that has looked to get out of anything and all have respected baby gates as barriers, even as adults. They have never tried eating their way out either. The closest I have had to it in any of mine was Reagan - he was mostly an outside dog by choice and if you made him come inside when he didn't want to he would open the back door and let himself back out, lol. He also knew how far he could go out the door before he couldn't get back in so if he was inside and heard a noise he wuold go part the way out, look around and decide if it was worth following up and if not would back himself up and go back inside.

Out of my litter of 9 last year I had 1 who would look for ways to get out and her first night home she happily got out of her puppy pen but none of the others reported their pups doing that. I used the Bunnings panels here at home and she was the only pup to get out of them here as well.

What I would say though is once a border has learnt to do something - good luck as it will keep repeating it, so in Rilla's case a roofed pen or crate are most definitely the better options :)

R-M-Rilla, If the crate is a 36" it should be the OK even when she is fully grown. Stella has always had a 36" crate & it is exactly the right size for her. Great find for only $30 :thumbsup:

I agree, great find for $30 & a 36" crate will probably still fit her when she's fully grown unless she's an unusually large build for a BC. My kelpie (male) & BC (female) both have a 36" crate.