Labrador Retriever Breeder Recommendations

Kavik

Plenty of ethical, registered breeders don't advertise on DOL?

This.

DOL is not the only place to see advertisements.

We found our Aussie advertised on the Trading Post.

I'm sure that's the case, but a blanket statement to look on gumtree is a bit unhelpful when someone has come looking for breeder recs, given the amount of BYB vs Regs on gumtree.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you buddy1. I guess I will have to google what PRA and EIC actually mean?

Progressive Retinal Atrophy (PRA) is an inherited eye disease where dogs affected often become blind, and always have serious vision problems.

EIC- EXERCISE INDUCED COLLAPSE- Affected dogs can tolerate mild to moderate exercise, but 5 to 20 minutes of strenuous exercise with extreme excitement induces weakness and then collapse. Severely affected dogs may collapse whenever they are exercised to this extent; other dogs only exhibit collapse sporadically. The factors important in inducing an episode can vary among dogs.

Not all breeders test for these as it is not mandatory.

For someone new to buying a pedigree dog I think Dogzonline is a great place to start. Some BYB from Gumtree and trading post can be alittle deceiving in how they promote themself - so you need to know the right questions to ask. I have been told a by a friend their sister did not get papers as they breeder was only allowed to register a certain number of puppies each year. :eek:

You can also get a list of breeders for the NSW Labrador Club.

Labs can be tricky as there are a popular dog so there are soooo many breeders. This is why I siggest thinking about what you are looking for before you start looking for help narrow down the breeders and litters available.

If you are going chocolate generally there is a waiting list. The popularity of chocolates is growing quickly (I love chocolates :) )

Ideally you want to try to find a breeder where you can go an visit the pups and meet the parent.

Sorry I can't help with breeders in NSW.

But as with any dog, find your breeder on DOL, nowhere else.

I'm really not sure what emoticon best fits this piece of "advice". Not true at all!! Not all ethical breeders are computer people who have websites or advertise on DOL. And LOTS of unethical breeders use DOL to sell puppies! DOL is a good starting place, but don't rely on them advertising on DOL alone to mean you are buying from an ethical registered breeder.

Plenty of ethical, registered breeders don't advertise on DOL?

Exactly!

I'm sure that's the case, but a blanket statement to look on gumtree is a bit unhelpful when someone has come looking for breeder recs, given the amount of BYB vs Regs on gumtree.

We were referring to dogsaremyworld's statement :)

We were referring to dogsaremyworld's statement :)

Oh, okay. I was in a (really really) boring meeting, reading and replying on DOL on my phone under the table so must have missed that post lol

They want a puppy (the whole puppy and kids growing up thing, you know how it is). Timing is still under negotiation but he can be persuasive :laugh: I plan on helping them with the training, they will need guidance with Lab puppy ( = destruction on 4 feet often :laugh: ) + 3 young kids!

They do need to be aware that Labs are going to be 'puppy brained' until they get to about 3 yrs old. We've just taken in a 2yo and he is as thick as two planks and goes straight into excited puppy mode in a nano second (however someone at work has one a few months younger and its exactly the same). Takes a lot of sticking the that training during the 'teenage' phase! Theyd want to be prepared in having 3 kids under 5 as well as raising a lab!

Yeah I am thinking Lab puppy = bulldozer and going hmmm could be interesting :laugh: but if and when they decide to get a dog her husband isn't the type that can be persuaded otherwise - he is a strong personality - so I am trying to steer them in the right direction. I will probably end up doing a bit of the training :laugh: I thought I was doing pretty well managing to persuade him that a Malamute was not a good idea! :laugh:

Not all Lab puppies are hellians. I've raised at least a dozen of them and have never had serious behaviour problems. Ok, I have a big yard and allow digging in the field . . . I'd have garden problems if they were confined to a small yard. I suspect the reason Lab pups have a bad reputation is because so many first time dog owners get steered toward Labs. People who don't know how to raise dogs are likely to end out with behaviour problems no matter what breed they choose.

The better known show breeders usually keep long waiting lists and do not advertize. If you find

There are some fine breeders who aren't all that well known. There are many people who breed healthy labs with good temperament who don't much care for the show ring. If you want a working type, try going to some retrieving trials . . . or sitting in on some beginners retrieving training sessions . . . great place to look for pups who are easy to train.

You say health and temperament. Get a better definition of temperament, and make it clear to the breeder what sort of Lab temperament you are looking. Labs can be lazy laid back or quite high drive. I think all decent breeders will say that aggression or the lack of an off switch is a temperament fault, and biddibility is desired. But past that there's a lot of disagreement.

Do not fall into the trap of equating the things that are tested (hip and elbow scores, PRA, and EIC) to health. Make sure to ask about longevity, epilepsy, skin problems (alergies and hot spots), patella problems (according to OFA 5% of labs have patella problems), bloat, or cardiac problems. I wouldn't worry greatly about EIC unless they intend to work the dog really hard. Many (most?) EIC affected dogs never have an episode, and when they started testing a lot of people were shocked to find their favorite working dog was EIC affected. It's a bonus to be unaffected. But as we get more and more genetic tests, we're going to have to recognize that some of them are more important than others.

A breeder who can follow health matters back into the pedigree, and out into half siblings and siblings of sire and dam is good. If they say no problems anywhere, don't trust them. Ie, I'd almost consider it good if they say the grandsire's half brother had epilepsy. It doesn't greatly increase the chances of epilepsy and tells you that they know their lines well.

Not all Lab puppies are hellians. I've raised at least a dozen of them and have never had serious behaviour problems. Ok, I have a big yard and allow digging in the field . . . I'd have garden problems if they were confined to a small yard. I suspect the reason Lab pups have a bad reputation is because so many first time dog owners get steered toward Labs. People who don't know how to raise dogs are likely to end out with behaviour problems no matter what breed they choose.

I do agree with this. Labs are bouncy and mouthy, but a well bred lab is super easy to train. So as long as the owner is committed to training their lab there should not be any issues. I have had a pup go to a home with 2 small boy, ages 1 and 3. The pup was fantastic and joined in with the kids routine. When it was quiet time, the pup sat quietly with them. Very cute :D

My current pup, now 6 months, has been sitting for pats since she was a little one. If she does jump it is only once or twice.

I'd also suggest that you consider speaking to the Labrador Club of whatever state. Some breed clubs have excellent breed information services, and may give some very good advice regarding what to expect from breeders.

There is some good advice here, I would not advise looking on gumtree - but if they do go for an older dog, they should still confirm it has come from a committed breeder who has health tested their breeding stock, and considered the important elements of producing quality puppies. Choosing to purchase a dog looking for a home just because it needs a home is not a good choice for young families IMHO.

I also think it's a difficult time with such young children, but some people make it work. They do need to know that it's a family responsibility, not just a matter of tossing a puppy into the mix. I always recomment the book 'Living with Kids & Dogs - without losing your mind' by Colleen Pelar. It's GREAT and gives excellent advice for how to manage children and dog interraction with various ages of kid and dog. It's available in Australia from a few places, one being the Hungarian Vizsla Club of NSW website - www.vizsla.org.au (Possibly cheaper there than other sources)

There are usually lots of young labs looking for good homes on gumtree. They might not be the baby puppies but generally speaking they seem to be advertised from about 9 months to about 18 months of age. This is still most definitely puppy age in a lab, and although the fact that they are looking for good homes might be a result of destructive behavior, that initial training and looking after a baby puppy will have past. At this age, a lab puppy would be a great kid- sized dog.

Please consider looking at gumtree. I know it's not what you asked for.

But the real question there is 'why are they looking for homes at such young ages?'

two guesses would be a) the breeder was not interested enough in puppies that they've sold to stipulate that they need to be involved in finding new homes (*ets - this shows that perhaps they were also not interested enough in breeding a litter from health tested, breed typical temperament dogs), and b) that these puppies come with the 'baggage' of being in a family that was not committed to getting them through the difficult stages and teaching them the skills they need to be a good family member.

IMHO this would not be a good match for someone with three pre-school kids.

Edited by lils mum

We have had 3 labs over our "doggy" time, as well as 2 dobbies, a great dane, a dingo cross and 2 cattle dogs. The first 2 labs we had were very easy dogs, sooooeasy to train and quite laid back. So, as we are now retired and were looking to replace our old cattle dog who had died, we decided to go back to a lab as we had found them such easy dogs in the past and felt we didn't have the energy for a high drive type of dog. So..... we got a great little labby pup. I couldn't believe what energy she had etc. etc. etc. She just never stopped. I took her to the vet for her 12 month check and had to apologise for her rambunctious behaviour and said I expected she would clam down a bit when she was 2 years old. The vet's response was:"try four years". I couldn't believe it!! But he was absolutely correct. As she turned 4 years, she became the calm lab that I thought we would have from about six months. So.... my advice is.... think very carefully about a lab puppy in a house with very small children and a very busy mother.

I'd be concerned about an older dog going into a household that's not used to kids especially if it's background is not known

I'd be going the puppy route from a good registered breeder, one that has a family as well so the pup is used to noise etc. If the mum is prepared for the training of a pup and knows it will be hard work, and the support of Kavik it should work out.

My mum swears that she toilet trained me and our daschund at the same time and she had 3 kids under 4 :laugh:

Personally, and I'm probably biased, I'd go the male golden retriever route - just my observation that male goldens are quieter than labs - my opinion only.

I took her to the vet for her 12 month check and had to apologise for her rambunctious behaviour and said I expected she would clam down a bit when she was 2 years old.

I had the same experience last year with one of my labs. She nearly knocked the vet over!! However my other labs are nothing like this and they are the same lines (mother and half sister).

So it is really important to find a breeder that will assist in picking the right dog for a family with small children.

Personally, and I'm probably biased, I'd go the male golden retriever route - just my observation that male goldens are quieter than labs - my opinion only.

I grew up with goldens and now have labs and I do agree goldens are not as boisterous. However - I could not deal with all the hair. You need to vacuum every day.

I also think goldens are generally quieter than labs.

I love labs but they need a lot of time and training. They might do fine in that situation on a farm or acerage setting where they can run around as they please but in a suburban situation I think you do need to put a lot of effort in. They are high energy dogs.

I actually think a giant breed may be more suitable as they usually aren't as high energy. Newfies are well known as being great with kids. Not sure about Malamutes but none i've met have seemed overly active. Sure giant breeds may accidently knock kids over, but a young untrained lab is guaranteed to knock a child over as well.

Not saying a lab couldn't work though, please make sure they go to a knowledage and ethical breeder who can find a pup to suit their needs.

I also think goldens are generally quieter than labs.

I love labs but they need a lot of time and training. They might do fine in that situation on a farm or acerage setting where they can run around as they please but in a suburban situation I think you do need to put a lot of effort in. They are high energy dogs.

I actually think a giant breed may be more suitable as they usually aren't as high energy. Newfies are well known as being great with kids. Not sure about Malamutes but none i've met have seemed overly active. Sure giant breeds may accidently knock kids over, but a young untrained lab is guaranteed to knock a child over as well.

Not saying a lab couldn't work though, please make sure they go to a knowledage and ethical breeder who can find a pup to suit their needs.

I agree and think Goldens are generally a bit quieter, and suggested them, but he preferred a Lab.

He was thinking about a Newfie sort of but really, I don't think they need a hairy, drooly 80kg dog :laugh: That is nearly twice as much as I weigh! How on earth would you fit it in the car :eek:

Malamutes - not an ideal temperament I think to have around young kids if they haven't had much experience - difficult to train, very big and VERY hairy!

He was also partial to a GSD, but again VERY hairy! and while I have one, I've had health issues with him and just about everyone I talk to who has one/has had one has also had health issues, and so I'm not sure about suggesting them, also I don't think they need a dog that could potentially develop protective tendencies, with people coming and going a lot in the house.

Edited by Kavik

Malamutes - not an ideal temperament I think to have around young kids if they haven't had much experience - difficult to train, very big and VERY hairy!

Really? All the ones i've met have been big softies and pretty laif back but then I've only met 4!

They are a big spitz - spitzes are not easy to train! And they can be dominant in personality, certainly do not fit into eager to please. I don't know how tolerant they are of young children. And with that lovely double coat = LOTS of shedding!