Long Line / Leash / Leed

Jozlyn

Any line can cause rope burn if you're not careful, the nastiest one I have ever had was from a gripper line running behind my ankle when I wasn't quick enough, still have the scars! Also copped a nasty one from a nylon line running between my toes. Ouch!

Any line can cause rope burn if you're not careful, the nastiest one I have ever had was from a gripper line running behind my ankle when I wasn't quick enough, still have the scars! Also copped a nasty one from a nylon line running between my toes. Ouch!

Nothing is 100% rope burn proof (LOL) but some lines are safer than others IMO :)

In honesty, I have never had rope burn from the one i got from K9 pro as i just put my foot on it :) it can also help to tie a few knots in it to aid in the stopping power, it also has the benefit of being day glo orange so easy to see in any terrain :cool:

The K9Pro one is likely fine as it is a designated long line - I was more talking about if you are using a rope (OP was talking about using a water skiing rope)

Hi Kavik,

sorry I should have been clearer, i meant that i don't get rope burns because i stop the rope with the sole of my shoe, not because of the types of rope :o totally agree with your point on the rope idea if trying to stop by hand :)

Nothing is 100% rope burn proof (LOL) but some lines are safer than others IMO :)

Training with shoes on helps too LOL

LOL thanks for the recs guys! I just wanted to add that if rope burn or the line getting easily tangled is a problem consider looking at the gripper long lines, they are rubber impregnated so easy to grab a hold of and don't tangle as easily. I have both types but the gripper I use every day. They are more expensive but also don't hold water and are super light weight.

I have one of the rubber impreganted ones. I love it. It doesn't get all gross like the old horse lunge line I was using. And it came in my favourite colour: purple :)

I tie (figure 8) knots in (long) leads - so I can step on the lead and stop the dog that way.

If I was working with long line a lot (eg tracking) I would use sailing gloves - they have leather palm liners to prevent rope burn but still give you good grip.

If you tie a figure 8 knot - it's easier to get undone if you need to shift it.

I wouldn't step on a lead unless I had a bungee attachment - think of the force that your dog's neck is absorbing.

I got mine from Erny here on DOL. It doesn't absorb water (learnt very quickly that ones that do are pretty useless) and it very light to handle. It is made out of a leather like material and has lasted me over 3 years, still as good as new. It was significantly cheaper than anything else I've seen.

Sprenger also make a nice rubberised long line, it's a bit lighter and finer rubber than the gripper brand

This seller is in the UK but are reliable and postage is fast and cheap, normally takes less than 2 weeks to arrive: http://stores.ebay.com.au/LuvMyDog-Worldwide/Tracking-Field-Agility-Lead-/_i.html?_fsub=1891987011&_sid=785659281&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322<br class="Apple-interchange-newline">

I suppose it depends how far you have let the dog get in terms of acceleration? I try and time my "stop" very early on as I want the dog under in a very controlled state, so basically as soon as the dog shows signs of reacting to a stimuli I put my foot on the long line, basically no different than if they did it on a lead,

Personally, I would not let a dog without an effective recall get in to a "run" somewhere that I needed a long line, I see them as the next step up from a leash, ie here is a bit more freedom, if you walk nicely you can keep that freedom if not the line is shortened until next time, the dog would have to go a long time of not being "stopped" on the long line before I let it "unleash" and have the freedom to run,

Hence the neck injury thing is no greater than having the dog on a normal leash ;-)

Does that make sense?

Edited by Luke GSP

:0 here I have to use the plastic coated metal stuff - clothesline?..and always have it attached 'round my waist on something with a bit of 'give' ..so I can still use walking stick & camera!!

Anything fabric/woven/rubber collects prickles, burrs & associated sharp things :(

While on this topic, I'm after a 5 to 8 metre long line - very light and suitable for a youngish puppy. Any recommendation greatly appreciated

Hi Jess, K9 Pro have a nice light Grip Soft long line. I actually brought it but just returned it

because it was a bit too light for an adult BC but would be fine for a youngster. They are very

well made & on special at the moment :)

• 3 weeks later...