Puppy Super Scared Of Groomer / Being Brushed.. :(

Everlilly

Hi everyone,

I have a 9 week old Maltese x Poodle that came home with me last week. He was in dire need of a scrub as he had been living with 5 litter mates and his mum, and though the breeder had washed him twice since he was born he was still very stinky/his hair was a sticking together etc. I figured for the sake of making it easier for him/traumatizing him least I should book a groomer.. they have more experience etc, and know what they're doing and are less likely to hurt my baby than if I was to make a mistake from inexperience.

Anyway the groomer came today and she was able to wash Teddy and dry him, but he cried the whole time and she had to stop mid-trim because he was thrashing about too much and she was worried about clipping him.

I don't know what I can do to make sure Teddy is more comfortable :( Being a poodle x he really needs to be washed frequently and brushed everyday but he flips out any time I try. Does anyone have any advice about what I can do?

I've tried feeding him treats while brushing him, talking to him in soothing tones and holding him against my chest while my partner tries to brush him.. nothing works. He's normally a very calm, trusting dog so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong :(

Please help,

Confused mum. :(

Guest donatella

You just need to keep up with it and do it in little bouts at a time. I would be brushing him every single day for even a few minutes a day so he gets used to the brush.

Are you using the right brushes for the dogs coat? Some of the pin brushes are very sharp and can hurt the puppy.

I also think puppies play up if they can see their owner whilst being groomed, i'd never allow a groomer to come to my home until my dog was ok with the process otherwise he will see you and familiar surroundings and want to get down.

I remember when I got my poodle pup, his breeder told me to roll him on his back and pretend to brush him for a few minutes every day lengthing the time hes asked to lay and be brushed.

she said it conditions him to the hours that I will be spending as he grows up. it worked a treat.

although as he got older at about 11 he would decide at about the half hour mark, time for a break n would give a little growl, times up.

it can become quite fun finding little knots you missed first time round, then when you hve them looking all nice styling their coat in different ways.

i bought a book on how to do it.

my mum bought a standard girl and it was nothing to see mum with tilly sound asleep on the grooming table as mum groomed her .

He was in dire need of a scrub as he had been living with 5 litter mates and his mum, and though the breeder had washed him twice since he was born he was still very stinky/his hair was a sticking together etc.

That sounds odd that he was so filthy just from being with his litter mates? No breeder should send a pup to a new home in that condition! Makes one wonder what his upbringing has been like to date. Its the breeders job to introduce babies to being groomed gently and make it fun or at least a pleasant experience for them.

Has he had a vet check? Sounds like there might be something more going on.

Get a soft bristle brush and gradually introduce it when you are playing with him, and cuddling him. Tickle his tummy and then swap your hands for the brush. It will take time now, and such a shame as this introduction to grooming should have been already done for the new owner.

Practice practice practice. Short grooming sessions often until it doesn't stress him any more.

I do wish people with longhaired puppies would spend more time with the babies in the nest, doing grooming type things. For my part, my American Cocker puppies have their faces clipped weekly from 3 weeks of age and are bathed and dryed and accustomed to brushing when they go to their new homes having been bathed weekly and brushed every day and been accustomed to laying on their sides to be brushed as well. They still carry on a bit if somebody new attempts anything because like most "kids" they'll try it on with a stranger, but as a rule, they're quite happy to be brushed and pampered.

KaseyC, I may not have elaborated enough on the situation. He wasn't filthy, he just had "extra strong puppy cologne" happening, if that makes sense? And his fur was starting to stick together. Teddy is a licker.. like a cat, almost? He's constantly licking his hair and the saliva seems to make it stick together etc, and then he gets "puppy breath" smell on his coat too.

I took him to the vet on Saturday and she said he's a healthy little boy so I'm not worried anything is wrong he's just scared and I want to eliminate that fear for him.

I will start doing the play-brushing today, the brush was recommended to me by the owner of PetCafe (where I get my food and supplies) with his coat in mind, but I will get a get a soft bristle one to get him used to the idea of brushing with.

Thanks so much for all the advice everyone.. I'm so glad I found this forum. :)

Keep grooming sessions short and fun. Hold the puppy and don't let go until he's relaxed. If you let go while he's struggling he learns that struggling works, but if you hold him until he's relaxed for 5 seconds and then let him go, he will realise that the quickest way to be releases is to just relax. Do this without trying to brush too, just hold him and touch his paws and ears.

It could also be a good idea to shave him, so that you don't have to worry about not being able to brush him for the next few weeks. The hair grows back really quickly, and while it's short you can pretend to brush him and work on handling and "relaxed compliance".

Sorry Fuzzy82 but I don't agree with holding a fighting frightened pup down, that is not going to make him relax!

Also clipping/shaving will make the coat worse - puppy fluff growing through from a combination of two totally different coat types will result in close matting and in a dog who won't tolerate grooming? You will eventually not be able to find a groomer who will want to do him. Also you are then committed to repeating the clip every few weeks.

Persevere with the brusing every day. Its the only way. He has to learn it will be a part of his life. Many dogs grow to enjoy it.

Lili HATED being brushed as a baby puppy. She was sooo evil. She'd wriggle and squirm and attack the brush but I persisted and whilst I wouldn't say she loves it now, she will tolerate it, i.e. stand still with a sour look on her face and then as soon as I'm finished bolt away. :laugh:

Just try and do it regularly in little bursts, also touch puppies ears, paws, mouth etc a lot to get him used to that.

Being a poodle x he really needs to be washed frequently and brushed everyday but he flips out any time I try. Does anyone have any advice about what I can do?

Firstly, don't stop just because he makes a fuss, it just encourages him to flip out because it gets what it wants - it gets you to stop! Keep on going even though he's thrashing about like a wounded snake and he will eventually figure out that it doesn't actually hurt and if he stands/sits still it finishes a lot faster!

When my pup was tiny I'd give her a pigs ear or a treat that would take her a long time to eat, and use that as a distraction while I brushed her. Now she doesn't quite jump for joy when she sees the brush come out of the drawer, but she doesnt run and hide either. She does get a yummy rare treat like cheese when brushing is finished, something she knows to look forward to.

:( I thought of that Fuzzy but with how badly he reacted to being clippered today (the groomer actually had to stop mid-cut) I don't think I could safely shave him without traumatizing him even further.

I will try also a little brush before each feeding.. that's a great idea as Teddy is very food motivated.

Guest donatella

Lili HATED being brushed as a baby puppy. She was sooo evil. She'd wriggle and squirm and attack the brush but I persisted and whilst I wouldn't say she loves it now, she will tolerate it, i.e. stand still with a sour look on her face and then as soon as I'm finished bolt away. :laugh:

Just try and do it regularly in little bursts, also touch puppies ears, paws, mouth etc a lot to get him used to that.

Mine was a mega brat as a puppy trying to brush her, was an absolute nightmare task.

Another tip that worked for me was to put the dog at a higher place so they know its business. This means not just on the lounge with you or in your lap, but on a table up near your height so it gets used to serious time. Mine knows now when I put her on the table its brush time and she sits there for me no problems, she just utterly HATES having her pants done and that's work in progress.

Be persistent and VERY patient. Puppies will put up a struggle and will keep doing it if you let them.

My dog is short haired but still needs daily brushes to decrease the shedding, but when she was a little puppy, we would hold her and gently brush her in short bursts to get her used to the brush. She was always trying to eat the hairbrush and didnt want to let us brush her.

Once she was used to the brush and realised it wasnt one of her toys to chew on, we introduced food in the process to get her stand still a bit longer each time. Because she was comfortable with the brush, she was happy to eat and the food kept her distracted long enough to get a decent brushing.

Now we dont need food, we can gently hold her collar so she knows not to walk away and now she is happy to let us brush her.

It's Teddys legs in particular that he really dislikes being done so we're going to start paying extra attention to them with pats and games and 5 minute spurts of "fake brushing" etc.. I will definitely try getting him higher up on the table or bench, that would help I think so he doesn't have a clear escape route to try wriggle for.

On a side note, it's very hard to be mad at a cheeky face like this.. "That yucky bath lady is gone, right mum?"

post-46795-0-68578100-1346729065_thumb.jpg

*eep* He is so cute. IMO he is too young to clip though. Along with all the other advice get him used to a hair dryer!! Play with his feet and his ears a lot. I can really tell the difference with pups whose owners put in the work at home.

Also if you have anything that buzzes at home, move it around his body and pat him gently at the same time so he gets used to the sound of clippers all around him.

It's Teddys legs in particular that he really dislikes being done so we're going to start paying extra attention to them with pats and games and 5 minute spurts of "fake brushing" etc.. I will definitely try getting him higher up on the table or bench, that would help I think so he doesn't have a clear escape route to try wriggle for.

On a side note, it's very hard to be mad at a cheeky face like this.. "That yucky bath lady is gone, right mum?"

AWWW he is just adorable!

*eep* He is so cute. IMO he is too young to clip though. Along with all the other advice get him used to a hair dryer!! Play with his feet and his ears a lot. I can really tell the difference with pups whose owners put in the work at home.

Also if you have anything that buzzes at home, move it around his body and pat him gently at the same time so he gets used to the sound of clippers all around him.

Yes this! We didn't get Lili used to being blowdried and the first time she went to the groomer she FREAKED.