Yellow Ribbon - Give My Dog Space

skully

even a shirt or the like with "in training, please don't approach unless invited" would be a start.

T.

I like the idea of In Training. Don't approach.

Also covers all the needs why you mightn't want someone rushing up & patting your dog. As someone else (megan?) said, equally applies to an anxious/nervy dog... or a dog that has some kind of disadvantage (e.g. HA's doggie with one eye).

Trouble is, that's a lot of words to fit onto a bandana or dog vest, if the dog isn't very big. And the printing would have to be big enough to be read at a distance.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is quite popular with a number of dog clubs around here.

Unfortunately many attach the ribbon down too low so others cannot see it.

The second unfortunate thing is many people who go to dog training, let their dogs walk at end of lead and think it is quite ok to walk up to any and all dogs they see there and let their dog say hello and play without asking the other dog owner if it is ok or they mind.

I have never needed the yellow ribbon on my dogs, however I think it is awfully rude and inconsiderate when others walk around all the dogs there (even when you are standing well to the side and to NOT be in the way) and allow their dogs to play and jump on all the others.

I went to train my dog/s. If I wanted them to play I would take them to an off lead park where they could play. Public Club Dog Training is for only an hour once a week.. At training, all play they get are with me and me alone.

I don't have too much of a problem because all my dogs are big. People tend to avoid big dogs, which works well for me.

It's great idea in theory, but a lack of public awareness coupled with natural stupidity are likely to make it next to useless.

The vests are a great idea as well, much more clear cut, and if I do begin to have issues with people approaching me, I'll look into getting one.

And to those saying that an aggressive dog of any type should be muzzled in public, and that "problem" dogs should not be out in public at all, how do you propose we fix their issues? Thundercleese for one hates wearing a muzzle, it stresses him out, and a nervous, fear aggressive dog being further stressed is exactly what I want to avoid happening when I'm working with him.

• 4 months later...

Quite a few clubs I have been involved with have used the red ribbon as a general warning that the dog needs space for a variety of reasons, other club members know what it means but it would need a major publicity campaign to impact on the general population.

One danger is that some people may be under the impression that this means they no longer have to be vigilent and take care of their own dogs welfare.

As for the poster who made the muzzle comments, not all dogs who need space are uncontrollable biters, try not to be quite so blinkered.

My older boy has lost an eye and understandably feels threatened if a dog come up on his blind side, my younger boy was attacked 3 times prior to turning 3 yrs of age, he is very nervous of dogs that race up to him in a really boisterous manner, although he is now learning that most are just wanting to play.

annie

Quite a few clubs I have been involved with have used the red ribbon as a general warning that the dog needs space for a variety of reasons, other club members know what it means but it would need a major publicity campaign to impact on the general population.

One danger is that some people may be under the impression that this means they no longer have to be vigilent and take care of their own dogs welfare.

As for the poster who made the muzzle comments, not all dogs who need space are uncontrollable biters, try not to be quite so blinkered.

My older boy has lost an eye and understandably feels threatened if a dog come up on his blind side,<snip>

annie

Hi there annie,

Have only heard of a red ribbon tied onto a horses tail to beware of a kick. Folk who use this yellow sign know the dog is their own responsibility, most attend clubs so there isn't a danger with the ribbon being abused because of the ground rules and posters are put up as a reminder.

Oh the muzzle comment, that just shows you the persons inexperience doesn't it! Anybody owning a dog that has special needs would never say this. I'm sorry about your older boy losing an eye, great to hear he is getting better.

~Pat