Yellow Ribbon - Give My Dog Space

skully

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

601419_10151235440045645_260072692_n.jpg

I thought this was a really good idea - anyone else seen this around? My dog is fine with other dogs, but she does run up to other dogs at the park and I know not all dogs like to be approached.

I know some training clubs will use them on dogs that have different requirements, i think its also a great idea... makes it fair for eveyone.

I think it's a fantastic idea. it'd also be good to use if you are training/working your dog on lead in a park. I was doing some tracking training the other week and the number of people that allowed their dogs to run up to Lulu while she was working was frustrating!!

Good idea but only if the general public knew what it meant, A vest would be easier to see and read.

True. Of little use without Pulic education ie. TV campaign. If they want to look they are truly trying to help solve problems with dogs the authorities should embrace these concepts.

Will only work in a Club at this stage. Our German Shepherd Club uses a green bandana.

Would be a great idea, but I think you would probably have more people coming near your dog, asking what the ribbon was for. Simple of matter of making it publicly known I guess.

A thing like this would be great for a dog like my sister's, Henry. He's not dog or people aggressive, but he is very nervous. When he goes out in public, some people just don't respect his space even when you tell them that he is shy.

I like it

But saw a comment in regards to if you had it and something happened and another dog got hurt, would you be in trouble because by using the yellow ribbon, you are admiring you have the problem dog...?

That is not true. If you are obeying the law and another dog rushes up to you, the person walking that dog at the time is liable.

I don't think it's a good idea I think it's one of the most retard-edly thought out things I have ever read.

umm if ya dogs a shit do the right thing and muzzle it. and really keep fwits away from it.

it's not demeaning, the dog couldn't give a crap.

That also applies to owners who allow there dogs to do what ever,if doesn't need issues to be a nuisance .

To many people don't give a dam to current laws so a ribbon will make no difference.

Lets face it how many people on DOL think there dogs are friendly & going up to a dog in the park is acceptable.

if you can educate some even on this forum what chance do responsible dog owners have .

There are already colours that dogs declared dangerous must wear & i doubt many even would now that

It isn't just "dogs who are shits" that need space...some dogs are just nervous. I like my dogs to be given space - even my super friendly one. Just because he's friendly doesn't mean he wants to be jumped on by dogs 10 times his size.

I don't think it's a good idea I think it's one of the most retard-edly thought out things I have ever read.it's not demeaning, the dog couldn't give a crap.

fair enough..

I think , if it was in general use, and joe public was taught what it meant - it would perhaps make life a lot more pleasant :)

SO many members of the public..and dog owners are not at all fluent in dog body language .

A simple yellow ribbon easily sends them the message that the dog is probably also sending .. but which is not able to be read!It will save mis- understandings, maybe :)

Please keep away .

Edited by persephone

I agree that a vest or shirt that actually says please don't approach would be more effective. I think even with advertising much of the general public wouldn't absorb what the ribbon meant (people often don't tune in to advertising that they don't think affects them) and then would they even notice a ribbon on a leash?

Declared dangerous dogs are meant to wear a yellow and red collar I think. I saw two dogs out and about wearing these once before I knew what they were, and they were quite effective I thought because they looked like a warning, red and yellow often being used as warning colours in general life.

It isn't just "dogs who are shits" that need space...some dogs are just nervous. I like my dogs to be given space - even my super friendly one. Just because he's friendly doesn't mean he wants to be jumped on by dogs 10 times his size.

Sometimes a pregnant bitch need her space.

I do think though that a yellow ribbon tied onto a lead doesn't look all that different to a poop bag. :confused:

I don't know about elsewhere but i know in WA year 2001 when the DD stickers were posted out in the mail quite a few placed them on even though the dogs were not formally declared to help try keep people away, pretty much backfired as it drew attention and not the opposite. bites went up that year stats freely available.