Shared Ownership Of A Dog

samoyedman

Has anyone tried this?

When my current dog goes to the rainbow bridge I'll probably move to a flat where I cannot own a medium/large dog for obvious reasons.

However, I would still like to have a dog I could occasionally take camping with me, to parents house and work with me for one day a week, trips to the park etc.

In other words, 'part own' a dog I could care for on average a few days a week. I would pay for 50% or whatever of all of the costs. His/her main place would be with someone who has a yard.

Has anyone ever heard of anything like this before? Just a thought that occured to me.

I sort of do this. I moved out of my own house & left my ex there with one of my dogs. I did it because this particular dog(Mr.Shivers) is a rescue dog and a scared weird little dog who took almost a year to start to relax & be at ease in his environment. I choose to leave him where he is happy & at ease instead of uprooting his world all over again. It works out great because Mr.Shivers is content and my dog DeeDee who now lives with me in my new place full time goes for play days/play dates and Mr.Shivers has always got somewhere to back him up if he needs it.

For me It would always depend on what is best for the dog.

eta....who says a Med/Large dog wouldn't work in an apartment/unit?

Edited by Arcane

thundercat - some danes are lazy, some aren't. We've had one that was pretty lazy, and the one we have now is more energetic and needs room to romp. Our greyhound, on the other hand, is quite lazy and as long as he has a comfy bed, gets walked (not even every day) and is nice and warm, he's happy. He is eight years old, though.

Even the lazy ones would need walks and some chance to move around, but in the US a lot of danes seem to live in apartments, so I'm sure it could be done.

samoyedman - greyhound!! I think joint ownership could work ,as long as it was someone with the same ethics and ideas on dog care, and you trust them completely.

Edited by Flashsmum

I was wondering how successful co-ownership would be too. I would love a third dog down the track a bit but don't know if I could cope with a extra dog full time. Would love a show dog. Suppose it would just depend on each individual instance & the surrounding circumstances.

Guest lavendergirl

I have seen this concept advertised a while back. A couple with two standard poodles were advertising - think it was the Trading Post - for people interested in a sharing arrangement - don't know if they got any takers though as the advertisement was there for quite a while.

I think it could work quite well with like minded people and could be very beneficial for all including the dogs.

The other alternative of course would be fostering.

A lot of small dogs are very hardy and would love to go camping etc. Would you not consider a smaller breed? I know my own breed shelties is as active as you want to be. Happy to tramp at your side through bush all day or sit on your knee on the couch

I did this with one of my giants, she lived part time with my dad and me at weekends, however she started to ignore basic instructions and being naughty, so I said she had to liv e full time at dads or mine. Once she was settled at one home she was much better behaved again.

When I used to go to training, I met some people [neighbours] who co-owned a Stafford. They shared him on a week by week basis, he was a happy well adjusted dog who behaved with both sets of owners. They shared 50/50 the costs in looking after him and if one set of owners had to go away [holidays or what have you], there was always a place for him to stay and be looked after.

There are a lot of units in and around Sydney, where the strata title have been altered to allow pets. In fact a number I have seen advise if you don't like pets not to buy into the units.

Also there is no size restrictions on the dogs and the cat units were inbuilt on the balconeys.

We live in a 2 bedroom unit on the northern beaches with 2 medium-large dogs (and a toddler, bearded dragon and turtle!). Kodiak Bear is a toller and Doof is a shepherd x kelpie. We have no issues having them in a unit, they have a small yard and are perfectly happy. Our building is pro pet and we have actually had people buy units here after seeing our dogs being their usual idiotic selves in our yard. We got written permission before we bought the unit (just doof back then) and again when we got Kodiak. Dogs are perfectly happy in units, so long as they have the right owner.

ETA our strata by law says only small dogs, which must be carried in common areas. We have never enforced it and everyone is happy for me not to attempt to carry the doofus. Big dogs are welcome too but we never bothered to change the by law

Edited by PuddleDuck