Grieving Dog

nawnim

by having the cat door removed from the window which was where she would stand all day just waiting for him to come home.

So good to have an update, nawnim, and to learn that your dog is now happy and active again.

But the above did make me feel for you and Lottie again and to know how hard it can be to lose a loved one.

Thank you for updating us. :thumbsup:

time often does heal they say.but reading through the comments, I wonder if Lottie wasn't the only one grieving for Michael? Perhaps Lottie was also aware of your feelings on the matter? My dogs are often far more intuitive where my feelings are concerned than any of the humans I interact with....just a thought...

Anyway, glad you have ALL moved on.

time often does heal they say.but reading through the comments, I wonder if Lottie wasn't the only one grieving for Michael? Perhaps Lottie was also aware of your feelings on the matter? My dogs are often far more intuitive where my feelings are concerned than any of the humans I interact with....just a thought...

Anyway, glad you have ALL moved on.

Yes Pollywaffle I think you are right. It's so hard losing an animal and dogs do sense when we are unhappy.

If only I could stop her looking for him. It reminds me of all the dogs and cats and people I have lost, and sadly I am missing them all ATM.

Similar with our older Tibbie, Angel, when her Tibbie 'sister', Gracie suddenly died (from medical error). Angel was devoted to Gracie.

Angel started looking for Gracie. She would lie for hours at the gate, thro' which she'd last seen Gracie's body being taken away by the pet cremation people.

At night, she'd lie at the back door, looking under it, waiting for Gracie to come into the house.

After a week of this, I took Angel to the vet. Even as I spoke with her, Angel lay at the door looking under it waiting for Gracie to come in from the waiting room. The vet said, in her experience, this mourning period lasted about 3 weeks.

Sadly, it didn't end there for Angel. Maybe because she was nearly 14 years old.... & the learning to adjust didn't come so easily any more.

She did give up looking after a few weeks... but then took to the saddest most mournful crying whenever left on her own. We.... & the vets tried everything.... behaviour modification, medication...for months. But it just persisted.

I got a second Tibbie... a mature, calm adult, called Nina Zena. Angel totally ignored her as if she wasn't even there. The mournful crying continued.

I wish you well for your doggie.... Angel definitely stopped looking after a few weeks. Much like the vet predicted. But it was just sad that her grief then turned into crying. I think, tho', it might've been due to her age. Your doggie is younger, with still flexible learning. So may adjust.

Edited by mita

Thanks to those who have asked but I'm okay. Brain tumour is unchanged so I just keep plodding on and loving every minute I can spend with my beloved dogs. My little girl is so gorgeous as is my old boy. Just love my dogs so much.