Itchy Poodle

Charjas

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Poor Jasper I had to put the collar on as he has chewed it more. But today no itching or scratching probably due to the meds and the phenergan. He has stood in the one spot all night looking at me as if to say , why am I wearing this? Put him to bed but I bet hes standing in the laundry out of his crate. He has managed to lick of the cortavance so tomorrow might try something else. Do you justbuy calendula tea leaves? tried a sock but it came off although I could try nexium bandage because that sticks to itself but not the fur. Used it to tape up my finers when I was a nail artist.

Try dabbing on calendula tea. I have seen it take the redness and the itchiness out of dogs skin in about 30 minutes.

It really is very good.....I totally recommend it for itchy skin both on dogs and humans.

:D :thumbsup: Good onya, Stitch. Came in and was just about to mention. Would way prefer to use Calendula before using other chemical based products and/or drugs.

Charjas - purchase "Calendula Tea" via health food store. It is actually dried Marygold flowers - it comes loose, in packets. Put about 1 - 2 tablespoons full of the tea into something like a teapot or (I find) better still, a single cup coffee plunger. Pour over water just boiled and leave it to steep until tepid or cool. Pour off the tea - just as you would if you were making a cuppa and use this to wet into your dog's skin. Leave on to dry (ie don't rinse).

I've had much use of the Calendula tea for a variety of skin problems on my own boy and as a result have been able to avoid the use of drugs, from antihistamines through to and including cortisone. And cheap at half the cost. Keep a packet in the pantry for use as and when needed. Google "Calendula Tea" and you'll find there are many good uses for it. It can be taken orally as well and won't harm your dog if it is licked off, but I tend to find it doesn't overtly attract them to want to lick it off.

Charjas..has your dog a bed which is not in a crate? Those cones and crate combinations can be scary ..they make noise..dog can't turn around or get comfy without cone rubbing on the crate..which jerks their heads and makes noise ..I don't really blame him for just standing there.

Does he have something nice to eat ... or his favourite toy that he can access ?

He has stood in the one spot all night looking at me as if to say , why am I wearing this?

..and what did you do to convince him it was a party hat? :)

My dogs have LOVED having their buckets/cones/icecream containers on ... cos it means treats and cuddles and going for a walk ..and treats , and bones .... :)

yes, you need to make sure they know that they still can move and walk and do their obedience ..and play tug ,and eat yoghurt off a spoon (who said that?)

..and you do need to just make it a normal thing ...yayyyy..time to put on the cone ... here..poke your head in this..now you get something terrific . Let me do it up...yayy something more of whatever's terrific..and so on .

PUT A LEASH ON .. and lead the dog around inside & out ..so it realises legs & eyes & nose all still work :D

..hopefully you find a cause very soon!

I haven't seen him scratch anywhere now and last night I put a gauze pad over the chewed part and wrapped with some micro pore tape. Put him to bed without the cone and the bandage is still on this morning. Going in search of calendula tea. Local health store closed down. Trick might be the bandage while it heals.

No calendula tea . Will have to look on eBay.

Edited by Charjas

• 1 month later...

I thought I'd give an update on jasper a scratching. After previous treatments and antihistamines Jaspers scratching settled. Then once again after the groomer he started again. I forgot to take the Aloveen conditioner. So I asked the vet again and they gave a sample of malaseb. I have washed him in it twice but no change. I still can't find any fleas nor red spots on his skin but he's mostly biting his legs. I haven't been in contact with the person for the calendular tea yet but it just seems strange that nothing seems to ease the scratching yet I can't find a single thing. I did the frontline plus also. I'm sure it's annoying for him. I was thinking of an antihistamine again but don't know what the correct dosage is. He's 3.7 kg

I've a few suggestions to look at...

- some dogs can't handle those spot-on flea treatments, like frontline. It makes them very itchy and sometimes sick.

- If he's getting the usual poodle trim with shaved feet, he may simply be irritated. Have the groomer leave his feet fluffy and see if it makes a difference. Leave his face a bit longer, too.

- if he's mostly chewing at his feet and legs, it may be a contact allergy. Look for redness and swelling between his toes, red and scratch marks on his belly and the back of his hind legs - if he's allergic to something he walks, sits, or lies on this is where you'll find evidence.

- Seeing a dermatologist is a very good idea. You can find out what he's actually reacting to, and ultimately save a lot of money and hassle.

- If no cause can be found, it could even be a nervous habit.

PS, have a really good look around your garden. I can't tell you the number of dogs I see who chew at their feet and legs 'for no reason', when a glance at the garden reveals ivy climbing the fence, or any number of irritating plants just where the dog likes to sleep!

I would say its the black hawk, it made my girl itch and bite like made I wish I never went near the stuff. How long has your dog been on the black hawk? My girl started the itching and biting after about half a bag of it for 6-7 weeks.

Wow, settle on down there. Just because a food didn't agree with your dog doesn't mean it's terrible for other dogs. Did you know BH actually clears skin issues of quite a number of dogs and has done wonderful for their skin and coat.

I thought I'd give an update on jasper a scratching. After previous treatments and antihistamines Jaspers scratching settled. Then once again after the groomer he started again. I forgot to take the Aloveen conditioner. So I asked the vet again and they gave a sample of malaseb. I have washed him in it twice but no change. I still can't find any fleas nor red spots on his skin but he's mostly biting his legs. I haven't been in contact with the person for the calendular tea yet but it just seems strange that nothing seems to ease the scratching yet I can't find a single thing. I did the frontline plus also. I'm sure it's annoying for him. I was thinking of an antihistamine again but don't know what the correct dosage is. He's 3.7 kg

http://www.ingleburnvet.com.au/antihistamines.htm

I have finally ordered the calendula tea and in the meantime rubbed him all over again with Aloveen conditioner. He started niralone tablet (half 2x:day) last night and had only the fish kibble to eat. Vet wants to do blood test that is sent to US for a series of desensitising injections. When the calendula tea arrives ill put that over him. I phoned et insurance to ask about rebate for bloods etc. they couldn't give me an answer over the phone. Hah. What. Scam. They better not tell me he doesn't qualify. I joined in June and this itching started October!!

• 3 months later...

Just giving an update on Jaspers scratching. Over Christmas was licking a spot on his leg which needed tablets and spray Seems each time this happens it gets treated then settled for a few weeks however he is always scratching his ears and under his chin. Have had him cut quite short as I though he might be itchy from being hot and sweaty and it has been very hot over the summer in Sydney.Seems to itch more after the groomer. Tried a variety of shampoos malaseb, Aloveen, Qv. itching seems same after each. Did do the calendular tea too but no different. In January we mulched the garden n poor jasper and Charlie got tiny baby tics. Must have hatched from the mulch. Vet sprayed with frontline plus and hardly saw him scratch. Now it's started again. Feeding holistic select fish. Nothing in yard and they hardly go out. We make sure they don't walk in the long grass when on their walks. 2 weeks ago I noticed a small dark patch on Jaspers rump. On inspection it's a 10 cent size patch of black straight hair He's silver. It just appeared in an instant. Groomer says its due to trauma but I know nothing has happened to him. He does try to reach that spot to bite. Very confusing. Not sure what to try next obviously something is going on with that spot and what caused his hair to change. Wheni first got him December 2011 he had similar large patch on shoulders but it grew out and vanished.

The itch saga just ones on and on.

Have you tried changing groomers? Your groomer could be clipping with a blunt blade/dirty/hot blades. A hot blade will give clipper burn/rash and make the dog scratch like mad.

Do they wash before or after the clip and what do they wash the dog in - some groomers also flea rinse?

Have you had the ears/paws tested for yeast by a swab? My dog is very allergic to ivy and plane trees. My best advice is to go Linda Vogelnest - dermatologist at Sydney Uni/Sash - she is brilliant.

Read the labelling on Frontline spray - it should not to be used on dogs with sensitive skin. :eek:

Chasjas as a number of others have said, the constant chopping and changing is probably not helping you or your dog. Clearly the various shampoos are not helping and the sheer variety may well be making it worse through residue of the previous shampoo interacting with the next one. Schnauzer has rightly pointed out that Frontline should not be used on dogs with skin problems. And anti-histamines work for some and not others. The black patch could be a yeasty spot.

Here's what I would do:

*Take him off all dry food and switch to a raw diet with one protein source. (There are fillers in all dry dog foods and they are notorious for making dogs itchy and you'll find it cheaper anyway if you shop cleverly). He'll likely cope with a straight switch - mine did - kangaroo and pork are good options for allergic dogs.

*Stop all chemical treatments - oral and topical - you have no idea what's working and what isn't anyway.

*Vinegar is your great friend - and its a very cheap cleaning agent. (Thanks sooo much Sheridan! worship.gif) Wash all bedding with vinegar as the final rinse to remove any detergent residue (switch to a gentler detergent like washing soda if you can - at least for the dog bedding).

*If you have a steam cleaner - steam clean your floors with vinegar in the steamer part. Otherwise use an ordinary mop with lots of vinegar in hot water.

*Toilet using a lead on concrete or paving for a week and keep off any grass to see if the grass/garden contact is part of the problem and if there is any improvement.

*Bath each day for a week in calendula tea as Erny suggested in a previous post to give the skin a chance to return to normal. If its easier put the tea in an old stocking in a clean laundry tub (wipe out with vinegar and rinse) in hot water to steep until water has cooled to tepid. Make sure the tub is clean and clear of any detergents.

Watch carefully to see what seems to be working and what isn't. Write a daily journal - doesn't have to be extensive - you'll see any patterns and improvements much more clearly and quickly.

If still scratching after a week but improving then continue for another week.

I know it seems like a lot of work but believe me its worth it. You mentally just say to yourself that this is the priority for the next 2-3 weeks and don't let anything interfere with it - I even said no to a dinner invitation one night so I could be home for bathing! This is what I did with Sarah. It was essentially getting all the chemicals out of her system and off her skin, giving the skin time to heal and making sure that the diet was as non-allergenic as possible - essentially veggies and meat. In my case the grains in the dry food were the cuplrit. I also reduced all possible environmental allergens as much as possible. She still licks her paws and I'm convinced that this is a contact allergy from the garden which I'm hoping and praying that the re-build I'm doing here including razing the garden will solve it and get rid of whatever is causing her problem. But overall she is sooo much better since being off any grains. Oh and BTW she got worse before she got better.

A dermatologist may be able to help too if this doesn't work. But if like my Sarah its a contact allergy then it will recur at the end of a very expensive treatment!

Hope that helps. smile.gif

Edited by westiemum

I feel your frustration. I too have an itchy poodle who at 8 mths has bald spots on her forelegs, thinning hair on her hindlegs and bald elbows. For a while she was leaving hair tufts everywhere- thankfully this has eased. She had no result from a skin scraping and the vet suggested I try Malaseb instead of Aloveen. It dried her skin a lot! I stopped it when I saw it was causing her skin to flake.I did see that she once went into a bad cycle of scratching after my son gave her some bacon...her chews/treats are all nitrate high (smoked)processed so that was removed from her diet early on. I have moved her to a raw meat/veg diet with occasionally wheatfree dry. She is going ok. The scratching is less and hair loss is not as evident. Her bald spots havent changed much,no regrowth. Unfortunately improvement seems to coincide now with a change of season. I wonder how significant this is??? As they say above it is hard to define if the variables change.

I intend to keep her on the current regime, my only addition over the last month is sardines in olive oil. Her skin is a bit better for it.

If the improvement changes or fails to progress we will return for skin biopsy & one protein elimination diet.