Itchy Poodle

Charjas

Hi guys. I haven't been on forum for one time. Some might remember I have 2 poodles , Charlie and Jasper and you might also remember Jasper came to me with quite a few problems     . Early in the year I changed their dry food  to black hawk  holistic lamb and rice and eventually jaspers itching and biting himself settled. They go to the same groomer every 4 weeks but last time after being washed jasper started to scratch again .  He scratches his chin, ears, bites his legs and is constantly scratching   Himself. I'm sure it's not the food and as the groomer can't remember which shampoo she used and I will now have to keep track of each product, I'm in need of some advice as to something to perhaps rinse him in. I gave him 2 x half tablets of claratyne last week and it may have eased slightly. Jasper is the sort of poodle that rolls in the grass constantly and runs thought the garden. I do have one grevillea shrub in the back yard which I can't touch. Immediate rash!!<div> They also have raw chicken necks for dinner and no other food, will go to the vet on Monday but I know the rundown of that, expense, elimination diet, skin scraping etc. </div><div>I have been happy with the black hawk and my gut tells me maybe the shampoo last time was the culprit .  I did give them both a frontline several weeks ago. He hates any of those products. Immediately rolls on the carpet to get rid of them. Nothing bothers Charlie.  I thought of mites but really have no idea and it's distressing seeing him like this. Neither of them have ever had fleas and I have never found fleas at home. They do sleep on little mats in their crates which I wash in Fab powder. </div><div><br></div>

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Charjas - it is posible that he picked up a flea at the groomers or somewhere else. My old girl who had allergies (food and fleas) would scratch herself silly if she got one flea. Give both dogs a capstar tablet to make sure that there are no fleas - just becasue they have never had one does not mean they can't get them. Ask your groomer to bathe the dogs in a specific shampoo from now on that you know is fine for them. If you want to rebath then do so with your normal shampoo or use the calenduala tea rinse that is often recommended on DOL. You should come and say hi in the poodle thread :thumbsup:

Edited by frufru

I don't have any wandering Jew just Michelia coco , palms , one grevillea , and agapanthus. He ins though the agapanthus casing Charlie though and has wrecked them. Maye the sap?? Where do you get the tablet. ? Perhaps he ha a flea. Will I give frontline again. Think I did it 3 weeks ago. I bought a new camera so will take soe more pics for the poodle thread. He doesn't look like the same dog now. But he has an odd coat too. Very thick, not curly and always has a dirty feel.

I would say its the black hawk, it made my girl itch and bite like made I wish I never went near the stuff. How long has your dog been on the black hawk? My girl started the itching and biting after about half a bag of it for 6-7 weeks.

Edited by Tara8430

Guest lavendergirl

I would give him a good soak in a medicated shampoo such as Malaseb in case he has yeast and finish off with an aloe vera only conditioner - oatmeal containing products such as Aloveen can sometimes make an allergy dog worse. A tea tree shampoo can be used for a regular wash.

I would also ditch the Fab for the bedding and wash in a good eucalyptus wool wash. Maybe give a Capstar after if the wash does not help. Perhaps talk to the groomer about using a suitable product - it may have been an irritating conditioner causing the problem as well.

Don't discount the food causing the problem either - lamb is often the culprit.

Hope things improve.

I would be considering the food as a possible problem, we had the same thing happen with 3 of our 4 dogs we had put them on to black hawk dry food thinking it was a great product and they all started to scratch and chew themselves. At first I thought it was fleas or mites and spent a fortune on products until I worked out when it all started.

We stopped the food and within a fortnight they all stopped scratching.

Just incase it's not the food I would stop using frontline ( the stuff is useless) and use either revolution or advantage.

I would also advise bathing in PAW nutriderm replenishing shampoo and conditioner, it's a great product and so far has worked great for one of my own dogs and also many sensitive grooming customers.

Edited by Rascalmyshadow

1349501399[/url]' post='5977421']

I would say its the black hawk, it made my girl itch and bite like made I wish I never went near the stuff. How long has your dog been on the black hawk? My girl started the itching and biting after about half a bag of it for 6-7 weeks.

They have been on it for a few months now and I actually thought he had settled down but this was very noticeable straight after the groomer .Charlie has been going for 3 years and Jasper since December. She doesn't cut them short , his leg hair is about 3cm long but he seems to bite the same spot near his shin and also down near his nails.

Well have had Jasper to the vet on Monday and could not find anything on his skin but she rubbed soe all oven conditioner through his hair and he was a little better. However. Today I had to go out and when I got home he has chewed his hair off the top of his foot and it's red. Back to the vet for some spray, cortavance, and some clavulox tablets and narilone tablets. So sprayed his foot and he seemed to leave it then damn. Just looked again and he has chewed more!!!! I have an elizabethan collar , hope it fits but can't spray with the cortavance too often . HELP. What can I paint around the red spot to deter him.

Well have had Jasper to the vet on Monday and could not find anything on his skin but she rubbed some allow even conditioner through his hair and he was a little better last night However. Today I had to go out and when I got home he has chewed his hair off the top of his foot and it's red. Back to the vet for some spray, cortavance, and some clavulox tablets and narilone tablets. So sprayed his foot and he seemed to leave it then damn. Just looked again and he has chewed more!!!! I have an elizabethan collar , hope it fits but can't spray with the cortavance too often . HELP. What can I paint around the red spot to deter him.

Charjas - quite often by putting stuff on you actually encourage the dog to lick it off - put the collar on so that he can't continue to lick - sometimes it is a bit like when we scratch a mozzie bite - if you leave it alone it is ok but as soon as you scratch you can't stop

If you keep swapping & changing everything & giving medication & applying stuff as well you will never find out what is causing it.

How can you.

Keep on the same food for now.

Stop using frontline or any chemical flea treatments if he hasn't got fleas.

Wash him in baby shampoo only for a while. The same brand & no conditioner.

Wash his bedding in washing soda only.

Wait & see what happens.

1349778630[/url]' post='5980964']

Charjas - quite often by putting stuff on you actually encourage the dog to lick it off - put the collar on so that he can't continue to lick - sometimes it is a bit like when we scratch a mozzie bite - if you leave it alone it is ok but as soon as you scratch you can't stop

I had to take the collar off he was standing in the laundry out of his bed.like statue. I've given quarter phenergan to help him sleep. Sprayed more cortavance

Guest lavendergirl

Can you put a baby sock on the paw he is licking and then bandage up the leg to secure it in place?

Cones, bandaging etc won't stop the itch, or treat the cause ..I also suggest a consult by a dermatologist or at least a different vet ...

:) the standing still with cone on - that is just him getting used to it .. I usually show them that they can still chew bones/eat treats/walk on leash with it on..and they accept it fairly quickly ...