Pedigree Greyhound On Gumtree

*kirty*

Someone is giving away a 1yo entire male brindle greyhound, apparently with pedigree papers. Thought I'd post here because I didn't think there were many pedigree greyhound breeders? Let me know if you need the link.

I was alerted to this dog as well. I think the use of the words papers available confused people into thinking it was possibly show bred. Plus saying the papers would cost extra :mad There were no show bred greys born on that dogs birthday. There might have been a litter born to racebred dogs also registered for showing but I doubt it. I do keep an eye on the Vic/NSW journals but don't have access to the other states. I did email the people 24 hours ago but have not heard back from them.

Pav Lova is right. But thank you TakeTwo for caring.

In my admittedly limited experience it is very unusual for a breeder of racing greyhounds to offer an entire dog "free to good home".

Most breeders are willing to "give away" greyhounds that are no longer track-worthy but they are desexed first.

It probably costs about the same to desex as to euthanase, which possibly explains this.

However there are many reputable breeders who will go to considerable lengths to ensure that their retired dogs are satisfactorily rehomed.

The breeding pedigree is always available but I would not expect this to be given away with an entire dog, that's just common sense.

In order to race greyhound I understand you need to be a registered breeder or trainer & the dogs should carry ear tatoos but I guess there are further rules & details of which I am unaware.

If you wish to own your greyhound as a pet, it is also common sense to desex, which in this case becomes your problem.

Don't rush in, there are many retired greyhounds of various ages to choose from (unfortunately).

In my admittedly limited experience it is very unusual for a breeder of racing greyhounds to offer an entire dog "free to good home".

Most breeders are willing to "give away" greyhounds that are no longer track-worthy but they are desexed first.

It probably costs about the same to desex as to euthanase, which possibly explains this.

However there are many reputable breeders who will go to considerable lengths to ensure that their retired dogs are satisfactorily rehomed.

The breeding pedigree is always available but I would not expect this to be given away with an entire dog, that's just common sense.

In order to race greyhound I understand you need to be a registered breeder or trainer & the dogs should carry ear tatoos but I guess there are further rules & details of which I am unaware.

If you wish to own your greyhound as a pet, it is also common sense to desex, which in this case becomes your problem.

Don't rush in, there are many retired greyhounds of various ages to choose from (unfortunately).

undesexed racing greyhounds are frequently given away for nothing. Taketwo was concerned the dog may have been a show bred greyhound of which there are very few. I didn't read anything that suggested taketwo was getting this dog as a pet.

Go to any track on a race or trial day and there will be giveaway dogs. The only thing you need is a car to take them home in. They advertise them over the loud speaker, they certainly come with papers and they are certainly not desexed.

You are right peterlonz, your experience appears to be very limited

I was alerted to this dog as well. I think the use of the words papers available confused people into thinking it was possibly show bred. Plus saying the papers would cost extra :mad There were no show bred greys born on that dogs birthday. There might have been a litter born to racebred dogs also registered for showing but I doubt it. I do keep an eye on the Vic/NSW journals but don't have access to the other states. I did email the people 24 hours ago but have not heard back from them.

Pav Lova is right. But thank you TakeTwo for caring.

Exactly.

I have a pile of "pedigree" greyhounds right here- their lineage is known and they're registered (with Tasracing but registered is registered) - but they're definitely not rare creatures, unfortunately. If I had the room, I could have a hundred pedigreed greyhounds by the end of the week with just a couple of phone calls :(

I have never met a breeder/owner who insisted on desexing dogs before giving them away and have seen god-knows how many entire dogs offered FTGH so I'd disagree strongly with you there. We have one trainer who desexes his dogs first but he does this as a donation (he asked how he could help out, we told him desexing was one of our biggest costs so he was happy to help that way).

Edited to add..

Full pedigrees of most racing greyhounds are freely available on greyhound-data so the comment about pedigrees not being available is also very incorrect- not that even the dog's registration papers would be of any use as to breed registered dogs, you must be a registered breeder anyway. Of all the dogs we've had surrendered to us, we've NEVER had the owner refuse to give us information on the dog's breeding. We've had ONE dog who was surrendered by a trainer who didn't know her breeding as he rescued her from someone else, himself.

Probably a good idea to do a bit of research before offering information as fact when that information couldn't be any further from the truth.

Edited by Hardy's Angel

Go to any track on a race or trial day and there will be giveaway dogs. The only thing you need is a car to take them home in. They advertise them over the loud speaker, they certainly come with papers and they are certainly not desexed.

You are right peterlonz, your experience appears to be very limited

Just joined, two posts, and already an expert :thumbsup:

I didn't see anywhere in peterlonz's post that said they were an expert.

Peterlonz what Pav Lova said. You can also look on sites like Gumtree, Australia wide every day there are greyhounds FTGH and not desexed. There were seven advertised recently all from the same owner in an area near where I live FTGH for pet or race, none were desexed :(

Stand in hp any day and watch all the trainers drop off their entire greys by the bucket load :(

Why would they desex them first and spend money, the reason they get dropped at the pound is its cheaper than paying to have them killed. :(

There used to be a guy that would sell his entire ex-racing greyhounds as potential hunting dogs near where I used to live. There were heaps of scruffer breeders that included greyhound in their mix, he always advertised them as pedigree with papers in the local paper and on the notice board.

Stand in hp any day and watch all the trainers drop off their entire greys by the bucket load :(

Why would they desex them first and spend money, the reason they get dropped at the pound is its cheaper than paying to have them killed. :(

Definitely. Down here, we pay $150ish to have a male dog desexed (bitches cost about $100 more). The green dream costs $40 without disposal. No trainer would desex and rehome a dog on the grounds that it was cheaper (not unless they were amazingly bad at maths)