Feedback On Melbourne Boarding Kennels, Especially Vern Ryan's Pet

HarperLee

I will be going away soon and need to board my three babies: Puppy, 9; Kisho,9; and Jem, my 10mth old kitten. If I wasn't going for work I probably wouldn't go away - I just hate leaving them (and as I type this the three are sleeping together near me :love: ).

I've tried babysitters / house sitters previously when I lived in Canberra. This sometimes worked, but due to a really bad experience with a babysitter Puppy can now get aggressive towards them. A dog behaviourist explained that she is protecting her own home. This can really stress her too and trigger off health issues. No doubt it doesn't help that Puppy came from Vietnam and spent 7 months in quarantine (6months in Singapore and a month in AQIS Sydney). Kisho, my other dog, has diabetes insipidus (water diabetes). If he doesn't get his medication or food he can have an epileptic fit.

Because I've shifted to Melbourne recently and still getting to know people, I thought it was much safer to board all my babies while I'm away. I was recommended Vern Ryan's Pet Resort http://www.vernryanspetresort.com.au/ by a colleague who uses them. I went out last weekend to check them out, which they were happy for me to do. They gave me a tour and didn't stop me from going anywhere I wanted. All the animals appeared happy, contented, the place was clean and certainly didn't smell. I thought the set up was good. The said they can accomodate Puppy and her moods, watch her for any potential health issues, and Kisho's diabetes wasn't a problem.

Has anyone used them recently and able to provide feedback?

I saw an old DOLF post where there was mixed feedback about Vern Ryan's. This was the only feedback I could find on the web. Whereas, there's lots for Kepala and everyone seems to rave about them. However, they won't take Kisho because he's diabetic (they said if he doesn't eat due to stress, then this causes serious health issues - which it does. for this reason they won't take diabetics). Kepala recommended Hanrob, but I've read some not so great reviews about Hanrob. From the photos on their website http://www.hanrob.com.au/ it looks like a facility for the owners. I can't see much daylight in the enclosures and it looks as if the noise could bounce around the walls / enclosures, a complaint about other Hanrob facilities in other states. It's also based at the airport (Tullamarine), so I would imagine there is constant noise from the flights. Puppy has hearing issues (perforated an ear drum and recurrent ear infections), so this would send her into a depression and cause pain for her (cupboards closing can distress her). Moorholme Park was recommended on an older DOLF post, but if you Google them there are some scathing reviews. I'm also reluctant to board Puppy in anything that looks, resembles quarantine kennels and poor Kisho has had a dreadful life until he was rescued (by Mother Moocher), I wouldn't want him in this standard accommodation. Vern Ryan's offer a range (I was looking at the Executive Suits, not the Penthouse Suites and not the Standard).

In the pricing they offer extras like 'cuddle time'. How is it possible to guarantee that this happens? I also want my dogs to have specific kennels in the Executive range that I saw when I visited. How can I guarantee this?

I'm finding it tough to find pet boarding accommodation that will suit them and on my side of town (Melbourne's Western suburbs). I just hope that Vern Ryan's Pet Resort will be right.

Any advice, feedback especially from anyone who has used this boarding kennel, hints, ideas would be helpful. Thanks

Guest lavendergirl

I will be going away soon and need to board my three babies: Puppy, 9; Kisho,9; and Jem, my 10mth old kitten. If I wasn't going for work I probably wouldn't go away - I just hate leaving them (and as I type this the three are sleeping together near me :love: ).

I've tried babysitters / house sitters previously when I lived in Canberra. This sometimes worked, but due to a really bad experience with a babysitter Puppy can now get aggressive towards them. A dog behaviourist explained that she is protecting her own home. This can really stress her too and trigger off health issues. No doubt it doesn't help that Puppy came from Vietnam and spent 7 months in quarantine (6months in Singapore and a month in AQIS Sydney). Kisho, my other dog, has diabetes insipidus (water diabetes). If he doesn't get his medication or food he can have an epileptic fit.

Because I've shifted to Melbourne recently and still getting to know people, I thought it was much safer to board all my babies while I'm away. I was recommended Vern Ryan's Pet Resort http://www.vernryanspetresort.com.au/ by a colleague who uses them. I went out last weekend to check them out, which they were happy for me to do. They gave me a tour and didn't stop me from going anywhere I wanted. All the animals appeared happy, contented, the place was clean and certainly didn't smell. I thought the set up was good. The said they can accomodate Puppy and her moods, watch her for any potential health issues, and Kisho's diabetes wasn't a problem.

Has anyone used them recently and able to provide feedback?

I saw an old DOLF post where there was mixed feedback about Vern Ryan's. This was the only feedback I could find on the web. Whereas, there's lots for Kepala and everyone seems to rave about them. However, they won't take Kisho because he's diabetic (they said if he doesn't eat due to stress, then this causes serious health issues - which it does. for this reason they won't take diabetics). Kepala recommended Hanrob, but I've read some not so great reviews about Hanrob. From the photos on their website http://www.hanrob.com.au/ it looks like a facility for the owners. I can't see much daylight in the enclosures and it looks as if the noise could bounce around the walls / enclosures, a complaint about other Hanrob facilities in other states. It's also based at the airport (Tullamarine), so I would imagine there is constant noise from the flights. Puppy has hearing issues (perforated an ear drum and recurrent ear infections), so this would send her into a depression and cause pain for her (cupboards closing can distress her). Moorholme Park was recommended on an older DOLF post, but if you Google them there are some scathing reviews. I'm also reluctant to board Puppy in anything that looks, resembles quarantine kennels and poor Kisho has had a dreadful life until he was rescued (by Mother Moocher), I wouldn't want him in this standard accommodation. Vern Ryan's offer a range (I was looking at the Executive Suits, not the Penthouse Suites and not the Standard).

In the pricing they offer extras like 'cuddle time'. How is it possible to guarantee that this happens? I also want my dogs to have specific kennels in the Executive range that I saw when I visited. How can I guarantee this?

I'm finding it tough to find pet boarding accommodation that will suit them and on my side of town (Melbourne's Western suburbs). I just hope that Vern Ryan's Pet Resort will be right.

Any advice, feedback especially from anyone who has used this boarding kennel, hints, ideas would be helpful. Thanks

I can't recommend anywhere as I am not in Melbourne but those seem very positive points. I think if you pay extra for the executive suites you should be fairly confident that this will be provided. However, I personally never pay extra for "cuddle time" etc as I am not convinced that the dogs actually receive those extras - call me a cynic :) I have visited several kennels and not once have I seen the dogs in the exercise areas.

Hopefully someone else will be along with some feedback about that particular kennel.

Remember if they let you view all areas including dogs they'll let strangers view your dogs too - that would be a big negative to me as it increases stress. If I went there I'd specifically say that no visitors would be allowed to view my dogs either in their kennels or when playing

Edited by megan_

Standard advice is to have your dogs spend a day or two there and see how they are at the end of it. That is really the best chance that you have.

I have visited some kennels and seen staff in yards with dogs. I do believe they get what they pay for. I know of friends who had dogs at Kepala and they gave them a discount when they returned, saying that on 2 days they had not been able to take the dogs out as there were thunderstorms. They were thankful that the dogs had not been taken out, and shocked that a refund was offered for what they paid for and the dogs did not get.

The reality is that what works for one dog does not work for another. Personally I would want my dog to see other people walking around the place, as the more humans they see the better they are. I don't see it as stressful for them to see humans, I see it as stressful for them not to see humans, even if they are not interacting with them. But that is me, and my dogs.

As for paying for higher level accommodation, they should tell you at the time of booking, whether space is available in them. The dogs should be booked into a specific kennel, and there are limits on what dogs can be housed where. I would see it like us booking into a motel. I book in to a specific room, not to the motel as a whole. I would be shocked if they were selling spaces that were not available.

I would trust them being in the higher level of accomodation, long before I would trust the play times, etc. I could not imagine a facility selling spaces that did not exist. I guess it could exist, just not from a reputable facility and it seems reputable. Reputable ones do not tend to have the higher levels of accommodation, as they do not have clients willing to spend money on it.

One thing that you would really need to check is to ensure that they do have places available when it is that you want them there. Many of the more quality kennels are booked out a lot.

Thanks all - very valid points. Sadly I'm not in a position to test the kennel out, hence why I trekked out to check it out. I wouldn't put my babies into anything I haven't seen. Sorry if I wasn't clear - they have three levels of accommodaiton and I saw three levels: Penthouse, Executive and Standard. Standard is similar to most standard kennels, but the runs were longer than I had seen elsewhere. The Executive seemed to be the most appropriate for my dogs. With one on a corner (which I've requested) had an outdoor area about the same size as my courtyard where I used to live in Canberra. And, what I liked about this one is that they would get all the passing traffic - they love seeing people, the more the merrier. It would make them happy and settle them more than stress them. As others have mentioned, it all depends on the dog and its character. They have enclosures that are more private, but this isn't what my kids would want.

I agree about 'cuddle time'. They say they have standard interaction, but this is additional. the dogs, both being 9 going on 10, could cope without lost of run time, but I was considering it for my over-active kitten, especially as he will be separated from the dogs and he plays with them constantly.

Thanks again for the feedback - sorry for posting an emoticon against the title - still learning about DOLF!

Have you looked at Mornington Lodge.

Thanks - looked at this, but they don't take cats, And the place they recommend for the cats didn't look as good a set up as Vern Ryan's cat enclosures. I could see Mornington Lodge is highly recommended on DOLF. I'm going away late Nov-Dec and I also don't have time to check it out (I'm in Altona). But, if I heard bad reviews about Vern Ryan's I certainly would! tks

There's very few places that will take a diabetic dog. I enquired at about 10 places in Melb when I went away last year and only 2 or 3 would take a diabetic dog. I was lucky in the end and didn't need to use a kennel, so it didn't end up being an issue!

Can't give you any feedback on Vern Ryan's. As for MOrnington Lodge, haven't used them but know people who have and they say it is great (it's probably one of the only places I'd put my dogs after all the enquiring I did!). The associated cat place is supposed to be good, I'm pretty sure that's where my brother left his cat when we were away earlier this year.

Another place that will take diabetic dogs is Woof Purr Nay in Narre Warren. There is also one in the Eastern suburbs I just can't remember the name at the moment. I'll see if I can find my old thread about kennels!!

Everyone - thanks for the tips. I'm going to check out Mornington Lodge on Sunday and also Black Cat Cattery who they now recommend. Their prestige accommodation is share accommodation...even my vet thought this odd and suggested against it saying it is very common for dogs to get kennel cough (strains not covered by the vaccination) or some sort of stomach bug, something I can't risk with either of my two. They do have other sorts so will check it all out.

Oooohhhh Mama Moocher - this thread made me cry tears of joy...recall those tense times, springcleaning the house, washing Puppy (remember she got a tick for having a clean bottom!) and also washing Scout, the cat. I was so worried I wouldn't get a tick...then I read this post from Keetamouse:

'Posted 13 June 2010 - 05:00 PM

The home is great the lady is great, her cat is beautiful and her dog is devine, has the over shot bottom jaw with the little toothy pegs just showing, clean coat, clean bottom that's important guys is in Kinston across from Telopea Park (those in Canberra will know where it is) one of the old ones where Autumn in Canberra is just gorgeous, the leaves on the ground, the dogs love to roll in them and the adults run through them kicking them in the air, oops takes me back a few years

They are all excited and can't wait for the meeting tomorrow.'

Well Mama Moocher - you will now need to plan a trip to Melbourne! To see that young Kisho has come into his own - just loves all the beaches around Altona. This dog that never wanted to leave my side, get's to the dog beach and I can't find him!! He's off with all the other dogs, wading through the lagoons having a real boys own adventure...and how he plays with young Jem. A sparky was here yesterday putting up some lights and thought it hysterical. Said he had never seen a cat and dog play like they do.

As you know Kisho so deserves to have the best in life and hopefully he feels he has it here. The garden is magical and has lots of possum poo that Kisho devours! yum, yum!

We've just been at the vet tonight for Puppy (nothing serious, same old stuff for her). It was great to reconnect with my vet, Noel Smith, who I used to go to more than 20 years ago! He's still amazing. He laughed and said that all my kids sure hit a good home! (He couldn't believe how healthy Kisho is, but said his eyes are getting cloudy. He will be 10 soon.) As you know, I feel blessed to have them all, especially the joyous, wagtailing Kisho! Thanks Mama Moocher for bringing him into my life! :flower:

• 2 months later...

Vern Ryan's Pet ResortI thought it worthwhile providing feedback on our recent experiences at Vern Ryan Pet Resort. I had previously mentioned that my two dogs: Puppy and Kisho, and my kitten/cat: Jem needed to go into boarding kennels while I was away. I had been considering a number of kennels, including Mornington Lodge for the dogs, Hanrob, etc. (Kepala wouldn't take Kisho because of his Diabetes Insipuds).

I eventually decided on Vern Ryan's Pet Resort and they stayed 18 days in Vern Ryan's - my first experience with a boarding kennel in Melbourne / Australia (Puppy had previously boarded in Singapore en route to Australia due to quarantine restrictions).

I was very anxious about putting them all in kennels mainly because Jem is still a kitten (11months) and has heaps of energy and just adores the dogs, so I was worried about them being separated; Kisho has anxiety issues and diabetes insipidus; and Puppy just has 'Puppy' issues - there are many including health and domineering, controlling, aggro issues when she feels like it!

I can't believe it - when I picked them up after their 18 day stay they were all really happy to see me but not in an anxious way. They ALL appeared relaxed. Vern Ryan's staff told me, reassured me there were no issues with any of them (they thought Jem was the coolest cat they had seen - and I've gotta admit he's pretty cool!)

Puppy, they claimed, didn't get snappy once and Kisho was Kisho - no health issues and no self-harming or from what they could observe epileptic seizures (which he can have as a consequence of his diabetes combined with anxiety).

And at home they were all relaxed, just settled in very calmly. Not what I was expecting at all after a few weeks in kennels.

All was beyond good. I will certainly be using Very Ryan's again - very happy with the outcome. And, it is a huge relief as I know now I can go away and confidently leave them somewhere that will care for him and they seem to enjoy (or at least they aren't stressed about).

The only stress is the cost! It was $2,300 for the 3 of them for 18 days. I did go for the Penthouse for the dogs and Cat Executive Suite for Jem - as it worked it was worth it. :thumbsup:

Hope this feedback helps others.

What a great experience for them all, and of course for you.

I am kind of new into the boarding game but yes the aim is to return a very relaxed dog back to their owners. I had one the other day who had to be asked twice to leave with his dad. I could have kept the big lug, he was a lovely boy :)