Tibetan Mastiff

juice

One of the Tibetan Spaniel pet owners here, now has a Tibetan Mastiff puppy.... a few months old now. She's more the sweet type, just interested in a happy life. Very good looking girl.

Recently, I walked around a corner with my two Tibbie girls on leads and walked straight into the loveliest big young black dog with the most gorgeous coat. The Tibbie girls and this dog just quietly sniffed noses... & then my little dogs started to wag their tails. Seems it was a 12 month-old Tibetan Mastiff. Wouldn't be surprised if it came from the same registered breeder as the first one.

But I agree with your caution that a Tibetan Mastiff would not be a dog for everyone.

They obviously recognise they are all Tibetan :D :D

Mama Moocher - I think it's more profound than that. The Tibetan Spaniels are the watchdogs at the temples who stand up on the walls keeping a vigil on the town below. They alert the Tibetan Mastiffs, the guard dogs, of anything unusual or different. I blame this relationship on Puppy's fixation on larger dogs. She sees a German Shepherd or any other large dog and she is in love...this is in spite being viciously attacked by a German Shepherd when she was younger and as a result had three fractures in her back. She also exudes many of the traits of her Tibetan Spaniel ancestry, ever vigilant, a bed-warmer, and when she lived in Vietnam would hang out on her 7th floor balcony keeping watch on all below...thank goodness she must think that Kisho is a small dog in a large body as he is her fluffy Tibetan Mastiff, otherwise we might need to get one! And, yes - they aren't for all. In many parts of Asia it wouldn't be recommended to pat one.

One of the Tibetan Spaniel pet owners here, now has a Tibetan Mastiff puppy.... a few months old now. She's more the sweet type, just interested in a happy life. Very good looking girl.

Recently, I walked around a corner with my two Tibbie girls on leads and walked straight into the loveliest big young black dog with the most gorgeous coat. The Tibbie girls and this dog just quietly sniffed noses... & then my little dogs started to wag their tails. Seems it was a 12 month-old Tibetan Mastiff. Wouldn't be surprised if it came from the same registered breeder as the first one.

But I agree with your caution that a Tibetan Mastiff would not be a dog for everyone.

They obviously recognise they are all Tibetan :D :D

Mama Moocher - I think it's more profound than that. The Tibetan Spaniels are the watchdogs at the temples who stand up on the walls keeping a vigil on the town below. They alert the Tibetan Mastiffs, the guard dogs, of anything unusual or different. I blame this relationship on Puppy's fixation on larger dogs. She sees a German Shepherd or any other large dog and she is in love...this is in spite being viciously attacked by a German Shepherd when she was younger and as a result had three fractures in her back. She also exudes many of the traits of her Tibetan Spaniel ancestry, ever vigilant, a bed-warmer, and when she lived in Vietnam would hang out on her 7th floor balcony keeping watch on all below...thank goodness she must think that Kisho is a small dog in a large body as he is her fluffy Tibetan Mastiff, otherwise we might need to get one! And, yes - they aren't for all. In many parts of Asia it wouldn't be recommended to pat one.

My tibbie boy is also drawn to the big dogs. Luckily they are usually fascinated by this regal little strutting dog :)

Tib mastiff is my dream dog......but dream as I will need to own large grounds, not work full time, own a hydro bath and have a full time house de-hairer! ; p

I thought they were a guarding dog too, but when i asked him what they were like he said " like a St Bernard". :(

I saw them again last night, but they were over the other side of the park, looks like we walk at the same time at night, so may get to see more of him.

Yep - they definitely have that distrust of strangers (like the tim span) and protectiveness.

As someone has already mentioned, the lines in different countries vary a lot - from temp, to colour/coat. They are status symbols in China, a red coated sold for $600,000, I believe.

Yeah, i thought they were alot of dog too. This one was black.

I asked if he got on with the 2 staffys ok, and he said he played with the male one, but gave the female a wide birth.

He is keeping him entire to show.

He didn't seem that dog savvy, he said his staffys sometimes fight, he said the male always started it :(

Oh dear. That sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Would have hoped that the breeder (who I know) would have done a little more homework before she placed the puppy there. To be honest, I wouldn't have...........

I thought they were a guarding dog too, but when i asked him what they were like he said " like a St Bernard". :(

I saw them again last night, but they were over the other side of the park, looks like we walk at the same time at night, so may get to see more of him.

Oh dear.....

The person I know who has them also has Saints and they are nothing alike except in size.

Maybe Kisho's soul came from "the East" :laugh:

The Tibetan Spaniels are the watchdogs at the temples who stand up on the walls keeping a vigil on the town below. They alert the Tibetan Mastiffs, the guard dogs, of anything unusual or different.

Yes, the Tibetan Spaniels and the Tibetan Mastiffs formed a great alert/guarding team back in Tibet. Which explains why Tibetan Spaniels are so comfortable perched in high places, gazing out at the world.

A builder & his wife that we know reproduced this effective 'team' with the wife's Tibbie and the husband's Dobe (who really was a big sweetie). The Tibbie would alert to any suspicious stranger (& they don't yap mindlessly), then the Dobe would wander out to take a look.

Here's a pic of a Tibetan Spaniel between his two Tibetan Mastiff team members....the big ones are chilling out while the little one is alert. Click to enlarge:

post-3304-0-99019100-1350351242_thumb.jpg

Edited by mita

Sorry but they couldn't be further in nature from a Saint if they tried! I really do worry about people who take on such dogs (any dog actually) and know very little about them. I agree that the breeder - who I also know of - should have rethought this one :(

They are however, truly wonderful dogs in the right hands.

Yeah, i thought they were alot of dog too. This one was black.

I asked if he got on with the 2 staffys ok, and he said he played with the male one, but gave the female a wide birth.

He is keeping him entire to show.

He didn't seem that dog savvy, he said his staffys sometimes fight, he said the male always started it :(

Oh dear! I imagine some problems in the future when TM grows up. Poor dogs mnight suffer from the sounds of this.

Should not be an issue if raised correctly my entires best mate is another entire small breed male.

Nothing to do with whether dogs are entire or not. The owner is already having problems with his existing dogs and he has brought in a third.

Oh yes very true I did not read that entire answer well enough sorry.