Dog Runs

eyeopener

My setup...but this is especially cruel and unusual....not at all recommended unless you want to be washing your bedding every couple of days!!

post-864-0-61659400-1350434432_thumb.jpg

post-864-0-80431000-1350434453_thumb.jpg

And I suppose they are subject to this kind of treatment 24/7! :laugh:

Sadly yes. Ring the ARSEPCA. I'll be waiting!!! :laugh:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We decided to make a dog run about 3 years ago, It really hasn't been used once but in Winter we use it as the dog only area and for the dogs to do their business. The rest of the yard is blocked off as we get some flooding, if we have nice days they have access to the whole yard, I just open the gate and they can run riot. they don't though unless i am outside with them, they are either sitting on their beds at the back door or inside with us.

the run with a treated pine decking and sides, lazer light over part of the decked area, with huge crate and kennel underneath. (the cat is so far the only one to have used the kennel which we have had for 5 years.) :laugh:

file-92.jpg

The run pictures with the rest of the yard.

file-94.jpg

This is the scene while we at work, via doggy cam, they are not very interesting to spy on. :laugh:

file-96.jpg

This is where they would all like to sleep, and do for a cuddle before retiring to thier own beds on the floor, except the girls who take it in turns sleeping on the bed. The youngest still sleeps in his crate (hes 4)

file-100.jpg

My side

file-97.jpg

OH's side

file-98.jpg

so thats my dog run and my set up, so realistically we didn't need the dog run but it has served a purpose. We have never used the crate but it might just come in handy one day who knows. and the kennel well the cat enjoys it! Seems the favorite place for all of our family is the bed!!

file-99.jpg

Love it, great set up for a suburban yard too. We are the same as in the runs sit empty whilst the big guys sleep around people's beds n little 1s are all in bed with me n hubby. But I do use them when I go into town etc.

My setup...but this is especially cruel and unusual....not at all recommended unless you want to be washing your bedding every couple of days!!

:laugh: We'd be going down together sister! ;)

:laugh: We'd be going down together sister! ;)

:thumbsup: Amen to that! :laugh:

I'm afraid we have those that 'shouldn't be allowed' but here are progress photos

The blank runs

P9150076.jpg

P9150078.jpg

The 'boxes' are their kennels - they have a flap so it keeps them warm inside plus they have blankets

P9270130.jpg

P9270129-1.jpg

PA160162.jpg

They now also have benches infront of their boxes which they can lie on if they get too hot.

They also have big grass runs.............

I'm afraid we have those that 'shouldn't be allowed' but here are progress photos

The blank runs

P9150076.jpg

P9150078.jpg

The 'boxes' are their kennels - they have a flap so it keeps them warm inside plus they have blankets

P9270130.jpg

P9270129-1.jpg

PA160162.jpg

They now also have benches infront of their boxes which they can lie on if they get too hot.

why should they not be allowed? Not what would work for mine but as long as they get enough daily exercise n mental stimulation n are not constantly confined to a cement stab I see no issues with it. They be easy to clean too.

The blank runs

P9150076.jpg

P9150078.jpg

P9270130.jpg

P9270129-1.jpg

PA160162.jpg

why should they not be allowed? Not what would work for mine but as long as they get enough daily exercise n mental stimulation n are not constantly confined to a cement stab I see no issues with it. They be easy to clean too.

Their runs are a big paddock divided into 2 :)

Yeah well atm I have no really secure runs as mine run supervised n unsupervised about the farm but I have need for a secure run at times so we are re doing everything over Xmas hopefully. I have ex large kennel run type of situation instead but it would be great to secure a few acres off for free running those that can't be trusted off lead at certain times.Atm I just end up joining lunging lines to give them( generally visiting dogs new rescues etc) a little more freedom if I can trust them off lead yet.

This is when we were putting the runs in. Each run has a shed area of approx 3 m wide and 1.5m deep.

We used a product called 'bodpave' for the surface.

The runs are gravel (we use crusher dust - cheap and easy to replace and easy on the dogs feet) but can't be dug up by the dogs and have very good drainage.

post-5072-0-33666300-1350615332_thumb.jpg

post-5072-0-56941500-1350615347_thumb.jpg

post-5072-0-87103500-1350615361_thumb.jpg

I like the bodpave, I should probably look at it for the heavy traffic ares of my yard.

We found it not exactly cheap, but I didn't want the dogs on cement (bad for their joints etc) so it was a good alternative.

I would change my setup next time. I would probably put cement in the shed area, make the shed area bigger and have more shade over the actual runs.

I use shade sails in summer but they are a pain and have to be taken down in high winds (which is frequently here!)

When we were in town I used shade sails there no problem, but we didn't get the winds we do here.

Another view of the runs...

post-5072-0-56025900-1350617097_thumb.jpg

Edited by espinay2

This is when we were putting the runs in. Each run has a shed area of approx 3 m wide and 1.5m deep.

We used a product called 'bodpave' for the surface.

The runs are gravel (we use crusher dust - cheap and easy to replace and easy on the dogs feet) but can't be dug up by the dogs and have very good drainage.

That bod pave is a great idea will look into that. Thanks heaps.