Darker Colours In Labs And Grs

mixeduppup

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There is a gorgeous golden here who I believe is from working lines, took these pics of her at an agility show. She is very athletic and awesome fun to watch! If I ever got a golden I would want one just like her! :)

527074_146449175489765_1205422745_n.jpg

547134_146469182154431_1460525376_n.jpg

She's very lovely. I would still consider that quite light though, kinda like a light caramel.

Guest Labradork

My favourite Labrador colour is black, and I only like chocolate if it's a dark liver colour. I don't like yellow or fox red.

I wish there were black Golden Retrievers, if you know what I mean. I guess there's Newfoundlands. Is there much difference between the temperament of a Lab and a Newf ?? Are Newfs just giant Labs with hair ?? :laugh:

I live in a suburb that has a lot of GRs (and every time I think I have met them all we meet another), and all of them fit in a range between the two palest shades. What's more the darker dogs are all over eight.

my golden retreiver is very dark golden, beautiful colour. She is a beautiful girl but she has got white on her chest, top of the head and around the paws. My understanding is that is why the lighter ones are preferred in the show ring because white is a fault but it doesn't show up in the lighter colours. Her breeder chose the other girl in the litter for the show ring but regrets that decision - my gain though :-) (although I don't show her). My boy golden is very pale.

I think the pale colours for GR is also driven by coat - the creams have a lot more coat and therefore can be trimmed into shape more and some would find them more 'showy' most pet people i talk to prefer the darker colours!

My favourite Labrador colour is black, and I only like chocolate if it's a dark liver colour. I don't like yellow or fox red.

I wish there were black Golden Retrievers, if you know what I mean. I guess there's Newfoundlands. Is there much difference between the temperament of a Lab and a

Newf ?? Are Newfs just giant Labs with hair ?? :laugh:

In my limited experience, noooooo Newfs are nothin' like labs! Less drivey, less biddable, more reserved and MUCH bigger and heavier. You can probably bribe or, as a last resort, physically move a Lab or GR if necessary but good luck moving a Newf that really doesn't want to :laugh:

I wish there were black Golden Retrievers, if you know what I mean. I guess there's Newfoundlands. Is there much difference between the temperament of a Lab and a

Newf ?? Are Newfs just giant Labs with hair ?? :laugh:

In my limited experience, noooooo Newfs are nothin' like labs! Less drivey, less biddable, more reserved and MUCH bigger and heavier. You can probably bribe or, as a last resort, physically move a Lab or GR if necessary but good luck moving a Newf that really doesn't want to :laugh:

That reminds me of when I was walking home from puppy school and was watching a lady try and wrestle/lift he St Bernard into the back of her car. Funniest thing ever, that dog was not budging. :rofl:

Oh yeah! In my short but thoroughly enjoyable and informative career as a mobile dog washer, it became very clear tha if a Giant breed does not want to do what a human wants, there is nothing the human can do, all the dog has to do is plant itself.

No one will be surprised to hear that I could see from the outset that the owners of the giants that were hard to control (namely a particular Newf and a particular Dane) didn't have authority over their dogs in general, their dogs were their 'babies'.

Guest Labradork

I wish there were black Golden Retrievers, if you know what I mean. I guess there's Newfoundlands. Is there much difference between the temperament of a Lab and a Newf ?? Are Newfs just giant Labs with hair ?? :laugh:

:laugh: