Fatal Dog Attack In Balga, Perth

Skye GSD

Ah, thanks for that.

And I was talking about suburban life & the family pets in that setting (as it was then)... with a patch of scrub bushland nearby.

Not a rural area with livestock, where concerns about predatory dogs would always be a concern. Whatever the era.

Edited by mita

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ALL DOGS, BIG and SMALL, need to be contained or onlead and under control when out, at all times. If not, small dogs end up dead and big dogs end up with reactive temperaments that can result in their death.

Nobody wins. Not Small dogs. Not Big dogs. Not responsible owners. :mad

RIP Lady and many healing vibes coming your way Mrs Norman.

I agree - well said.

Regarding back in the day, I have a different memory. Sure dogs roamed the streets & most times there weren't problems, but I saw many dogs run over, attacking other dogs & people.

The thing back then dogs were easily replaceable. Most people didn't pay for their dogs, just got a pup from the neighbours mongrel who had a litter, because most dogs weren't desexed back then. If you had a dog who didn't come home after a few days, there was no trying to find them, just get another pup from the latest litter from one of your neighbours.

Another thing about back in the day, a lot of people drowned puppies at birth, because they didn't want the hassle of having to look after the pups, until they found homes.

I agree the dogs had a lot more freedom then, but it wasn't doggy Utopia.

Sorry Mantis, but I saw things differently. Family dogs weren't disposable items then either, they were loved pets and if one went missing then the search was on. Maybe because they were generally with the kids playing loose they didn't seem to wander. I spent my younger years in the Melb suburbs with kids and dogs around, yes there was the occassional car mishap but those dogs all had great road sense.

We then moved to the country and going to friends farms it was interesting to watch pups learning that stock was a no-no. Most dogs were chained/confined at night with no opportunity to go chasing stock. Yes, there were pups and kittens drowned at birth, not ideal but querying a person who had done this I was told it wasn't a planned mating (working dogs) and the pups wouldn't have the required temperament for the job. Who was I to judge someone who bred marvellous workers?

Sorry Pebbles, but I grew up in the outer eastern suburbs of Melbourne. What I said is true for where I grew up. The only people who were responsible dog owners, were my next door neighbours who had Danes that they showed & bred. I witnessed my first dog death by car when I was seven, it was my friends Cocker Spaniel, it traumatised for ages & it's when I decided that dogs should be on lead. I was bitten on the bum when I was 8 by a Lab who ran out of it's house & bit me for no reason, as I was walking past it's house with two friends.

Yes, dogs were freer then & mostly things went OK, but there were still dog deaths, fights & attacks, just that no one went to the media, because it's just what happens sometimes.

It's only since social media became popular, that every incident concerning dogs is plastered all over the news & beaten up to whip up hysteria to get ratings.