Fatal Dog Attack In Balga, Perth

Skye GSD

Of course, they may not have caught/identified all the vicious Maltese types, hell bent on attacking anyone and their dogs who venture out but I won't be walking the streets in terror of a loose little dog tomorrow.

you would be if they forced you or your dog out onto the road in front of a car. Made you drop your dogs lead in the scuffle and your dog took off never to be seen again.

clutching at straws... much!

in the scenarios above

1, your injuries would have been caused by a car not a dog (unless you are suggesting that SWF dogs are now using automobiles to kill people in an attempt to overt suspicion from them?)

2, you relinquished control of your animal and it ran away

neither of them shows that a smaller dog than one of the larger more powerful breeds that tend to be disproportionately represented in the dog attack death statistics represents a similar level of danger to the public. A menace? yes. Acceptable, NO. A Danger??????

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some small dog owners have them for reasons other than that is all they want. Many people I know are so fearful about being attacked by large dogs, they tell me they want a dog they can pick up .... some people have bad backs. some peple have small spaces ...

It's the small dogs being picked up that tend to cause a lot of trouble - from owners making them a target to actually causing them to have anxieties about other dogs.

But then, I'm just one of the usual band of idiots that come on and have the audacity to look at things objectively, instead of grabbing my pitchfork.

Edited by Plan B

After the big dogs get banned, the little dog people will want to ban middle sized dogs and then they'll look at their own little sizes and decide that even some of those are too big. Soon it'll be nothing but chihuahuas available ... #sarcasmbutprobablynotfarofftruegiventhisthread

Sorry Sheridan, but where's the survey that backs up your opinion of small dog owners?

I'm a small dog owner currently. I've also owned a German Shepherd Cross, a Cattle cross and rescued or facilitated the rescue of dogs over 30 kilos on a regular basis.

Some small dog owners have them for reasons other than that is all they want. Many people I know are so fearful about being attacked by large dogs, they tell me they want a dog they can pick up .... some people have bad backs. some peple have small spaces ...

I call bull****. I have never seen you post one positive thing about big dogs.

I can't believe the hatred of dogs by some people, on what is supposedly a dog lovers forum. :swear:

Guest donatella

It's the small dogs being picked up that tend to cause a lot of trouble - from owners making them a target to actually causing them to have anxieties about other dogs.

But then, I'm just one of the usual band of idiots that come on and have the audacity to look at things objectively, instead of grabbing my pitchfork.

I'm sorry, but if an off lead powerful dog is coming near mine in an aggressive manner I am picking my dog up and not letting it being torn to shreds in front of my eyes!

How that causes anxieties I don't know, but quite frankly i'd rather my dog alive then dead in a million pieces. I have done and will continue to pick my dogs up from harms way as at only a few kgs they are in no position to fend for themselves.

After the big dogs get banned, the little dog people will want to ban middle sized dogs and then they'll look at their own little sizes and decide that even some of those are too big. Soon it'll be nothing but chihuahuas available ... #sarcasmbutprobablynotfarofftruegiventhisthread

Sorry Sheridan, but where's the survey that backs up your opinion of small dog owners?

I'm a small dog owner currently. I've also owned a German Shepherd Cross, a Cattle cross and rescued or facilitated the rescue of dogs over 30 kilos on a regular basis.

I can't believe the hatred of dogs by some people, on what is supposedly a dog lovers forum. :swear:

Mantis - have you followed my every post? Lived at my house? Checked out my vet records? No? I'm reporting you for being offensive and so very, very wrong. Just for you, I'm posting a picture of a dog I rescued last year, now in a happy home. He's a Bull Arab, although perhaps 35 kilos doesn't count as large enough for you?

Perhaps you want to speak to his owner and check I'm not making this one up?

post-4751-0-99674600-1352316256_thumb.jpg

Edited by dogmad

And here you go again, where I'm concerned you simply cannot help yourself, can you?

Back to the topic - someone's in a terrible state, many stitches and suffering the loss of their pet.

Because it was a large dog killing a small dog, this topic has gone belly up with people defending large dogs and small and taking every potshots at members they hate just because they like a different kind of dog.

Enough for God's sake.

Hatred? Where? The only overcharged emotion being expressed in this thread is the blind denial and flat refusal on some people's part to accept basic facts, and when presented with a question that they can no longer avoid or deny they start flinging mud, names and accusations like the people that disagree with them "hate" dogs.

I certainly don't hate any dog, I love all of them for what they are, dogs, but I don't allow my love for them cloud my judgement to the point that I cannot see that some, if in an aggressive state, have a greater ability to cause immense trauma and death than others. Doesn't mean I hate them.

I don't "hate" snakes either, but if a death adder turned up in my backyard I would certainly treat the situation differently than if it were a tree snake.

To acknowledge that something poses a certain level of threat is not to "hate" it, rather it enables you to analyse the situation, knowing the possible risks, and take appropriate care to avoid an undesireable outcome. My take on it is that most serious attacks are due to people not acknowledging the risks associated with animals like theirs, hence they do not take appropriate action.

Sarcasm hashtag was in place! All I did was substitute the usual anti-crossbreed rants for size because this thread is getting a bit odd with all the finger pointing.

I have much sympathy for those who have issues walking their dogs, as I have some myself. I just don't think the increasing level of rantiness and hyperbole coming from various contributers is either useful or polite (see the post above mine and the one it's replying to).

Edited by Sheridan

I'm sorry, but if an off lead powerful dog is coming near mine in an aggressive manner I am picking my dog up and not letting it being torn to shreds in front of my eyes!

How that causes anxieties I don't know, but quite frankly i'd rather my dog alive then dead in a million pieces. I have done and will continue to pick my dogs up from harms way as at only a few kgs they are in no position to fend for themselves.

That's a different scenario than I was implying, which I thought was quite obvious. The dog being picked up preemptively can make it a target/cause anxieties - not a dog being picked up after the fact.

Sarcasm hashtag was in place! All I did was substitute the usual anti-crossbreed rants for size because this thread is getting a bit odd with all the finger pointing.

I have much sympathy for those who have issues walking their dogs, as I have some myself. I just don't think the increasing level of rantiness and hyperbole coming from various contributers is either useful or polite (see the post above mine and the one it's replying to).

You don't need to supply a "survey" for an opinion. An opinion is just that - an opinion. It doesn't require facts or sources or anyone else to agree!

Because it was a large dog killing a small dog, this topic has gone belly up with people defending large dogs and small and taking every potshots at members they hate just because they like a different kind of dog.

Enough for God's sake.

Are there extra points for melodrama? Do you lose points for making incorrect assumptions?

As an owner of three small dogs and two bull breeds, I find I'm pretty balanced with my opinions about both. But none of that matters when you can victimise yourself instead of actually taking a step back to realise almost every single post you make on this forum is about demonising larger breeds. Of course what you say is going to be scrutinised when your behaviour has a very nasty, very malicious pattern towards certain dogs.

Horse is doing fine in his new home, by the way, even if he did look like that dog you once knew that was aggressive... that you just couldn't help but point out on a thread trying to find him suitable rescue options.

If i had a dog approaching my small dog in what i perceived to be a dangerous or concerning manner- dam right i would pick them up. What people don't realise is that with small dogs being attacked by something larger you have a very slight margin of error- it only takes one bite, one shake and that can be the death of them.

Guest donatella

If i had a dog approaching my small dog in what i perceived to be a dangerous or concerning manner- dam right i would pick them up. What people don't realise is that with small dogs being attacked by something larger you have a very slight margin of error- it only takes one bite, one shake and that can be the death of them.

There is just no room for error or risk this is true!

I do agree with that.

But what I was talking about is people just carrying their dogs around in parks, on the streets, etc. Most of these people have anxieties about bigger dogs to begin with, and when they become anxious, they transfer it onto their little dogs. It can happen with larger dog owners too - not picking them up - but becoming tense while holding the leash if another dog approaches etc.

Guest donatella

I do agree with that.

But what I was talking about is people just carrying their dogs around in parks, on the streets, etc. Most of these people have anxieties about bigger dogs to begin with, and when they become anxious, they transfer it onto their little dogs. It can happen with larger dog owners too - not picking them up - but becoming tense while holding the leash if another dog approaches etc.

I am very happy for my girls to meet and interact with big dogs, the photos are awesome! But I wouldn't let it happen unless i knew the dog in question was small dog safe. I certainly wouldn't carry my dog through the parks and streets though, that's devoiding the purpose of a walk :laugh:

I agree with this post but I think a lot of smaller dog owners make the mistake of not only picking a dog up but comforting it which reinforces and encourages its fearful behaviour.

Little dogs can be reactive too. They may have witnessed a dog attack or been attacked themselves previously.

Also the dog is taking on board the fear of the owner, and some think their owner is in need of protection. It can be a very scary situation for any owner and any little dog.

I am very happy for my girls to meet and interact with big dogs, the photos are awesome! But I wouldn't let it happen unless i knew the dog in question was small dog safe. I certainly wouldn't carry my dog through the parks and streets though, that's devoiding the purpose of a walk :laugh:

This won't be you, then? :laugh:

p-33167-43142P_008-dog.jpg

(I know that these actually come in handy for people with dogs that can't walk much, etc. Still... hilarious).

Guest donatella

Definitely not for me but I know a girl with an old Pom and a young Pom and the old bloke doesn't walk far so he gets pushed a pram like device while the young one gets walked so they both can get out for the same amount of time :laugh: