Hard Or Soft Carrier?

SunnyCoastCav

We're getting a Cav puppy tomorrow. So excited!

However, not sure what sort of crate to get for various purposes, eg, trips in the car (not long ones as we tend not to go that far from home), down to the beach (we sit on the grassed areas as you can't take dogs in certain places), maybe to sleep in occasionally? The hard crates seem so... Hard and not very comfortable - also hot (Im in Qld). The soft crates can also fold up, which is good when space is at a premium, but then there's the potential chew factor!

I also have no idea what size crate to get!

Anyone have suggestions on brands or types? Appreciate any help. :)

Edited by SunnyCoastCav

I have both - for puppies I would always go a hard crate. So they never learn how much fun destroying one can be :D

A wire crate actually has better airflow than a soft crate in my opinion - check out the vebo pet ones. They are in Sydney but prices are very reasonable for online and freight. Make sure the crate is secured in the vehicle, otherwise it can be dangerous. I have a plastic vari type crate for a pup I have here at the moment and I find it does get a little warm when travelling. Both my adult dogs progressed to soft crates although my Dalmatian (at aged 5 and with a little competition in the house) has worked out how to open the zips at training/trials when it's not his turn so we are back to lugging a big wire crate again!

As for size, I'm sure the Cav people will be able to advise. How exciting!

Nearly forgot - I use nice padded beds (or old blankets for puppy!) in the hard crate plus a fold up water bowl to make it easy to transport.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Soft crate & baby puppy - nope. If the puppy toilets in the crate it's not pleasant! Pup can chew it. Soft crates can be much hotter due to the reduced airflow.

I would go with a wire crate every time. They fold up, they can be covered if cold/uncovered if hot. You can make them very comfy with blankets, mats, pillows, mattresses, whatever. If the pup makes a mistake you take the tray out, take it outside, hose it off, dry it with a towel and you're back in business in 5 minutes :D

Not sure about the best size for a Cavalier - the best person to help with this would be the breeder but I'm sure other Cav people will be along shortly.

The only thing I would say is don't buy a crate with wire on the bottom above the tray, (wire, tray, wire) which are common in a lot of cheap shops. Buy one where the bedding actually goes ON the tray and make sure the tray is easy to slide in and out and clean. I have some old style crates where the tray isn't removeable and they are strong IMO but less convenient.

For using on the beach perhaps a better choice would be a fold up play pen sort of thing they're bigger, less "cage like" for the general public and allows the pup to be on the grass/sand. You can get metal ones or fabric ones.

I already have a pen for him at home.

I've had a look at the wire crates and they're pretty big; I was thinking more along the lines of a pet CARRIER sorry, still getting used to the lingo - I'm a dance mum so ask me anything about dancing and I'm good!)

So that's what I'm after - a pet CARRIER, either hard or soft, to travel to the vet and give him somewhere to sleep when visiting - wont really have room for a crate in the car etc.

For using on the beach perhaps a better choice would be a fold up play pen sort of thing they're bigger, less "cage like" for the general public and allows the pup to be on the grass/sand. You can get metal ones or fabric ones.

This would be my suggestion, too. Why have a little dog in a crate when he should be running around? He can do that in a play pen.

For the car, when he is big enough, a harness and an attachment that clips into the seat belt clip. In the meantime, an old fashioned cat carrier which is solid on the base and wire on sides and top so he can see you and look around.

I already have a pen for him at home.

I've had a look at the wire crates and they're pretty big; I was thinking more along the lines of a pet CARRIER sorry, still getting used to the lingo - I'm a dance mum so ask me anything about dancing and I'm good!)

So that's what I'm after - a pet CARRIER, either hard or soft, to travel to the vet and give him somewhere to sleep when visiting - wont really have room for a crate in the car etc.

A carrier would be the same size as a crate. I would go a hard crate until he is an adult for the reasons outlined - they can learn to chew the soft crate and they are harder to clean. For use in the car, I would say only a hard crate is safe enough, the hard plastic ones like the ones airlines use.

Guest donatella

Why a carrier at all? They love seeing new things, they're not like cats that need to be contained at the vet a collar/harness and leash is plenty acceptable.

I was looking for the carrier to do double duty; I had thought about one of those soft playpens but I see it getting limited use, also means taking the playpen AND the carrier AND all the other stuff if we wanted to go somewhere!

He will be running around but it was to give him somewhere quiet to sleep and rest, and be safe if there were other large dogs around. Also, as I said some beaches/areas specify that dogs have to be on a leash etc, it's just for when we are sitting.

Donatella, I've explained above why I need a carrier.

1. To transport him to/from the vet or other places.

2. To give him somewhere quiet/safe to sleep in areas where dogs have to be on a leash or contained, eg when visiting someone's house that doesn't want a dog running around.

Hope I've made it clearer now.

Don't be in too much of a hurry to buy everything at once if you haven't had a pup for a while. It's like when I started camping - buy the basics and on each trip worked out what I took that was unnecessary and what I think I needed (or wanted as the case may be!!!) You might find as you go that a collar, lead and tie stake work perfectly well at the beach. Bet puppy will be snuggled in your lap anyway :laugh:

For transport I'd be looking at a plastic vari crate of some description - the smaller one I just leave in the car to transport my youngster. At home he has progressed to the big wire crate. The adult dogs ride in the cargo area but pup is too much of a PITA at this point and would probably chew all the leads and give them the irrits!

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Oh yes, he's a Cav XD. Laps are where they love to be!

He's allowed round my mothers house, just not allowed to wander inside (he can go outside) but if he's in he needs to be contained (Christmas Day lunch eg). He's also too little for a harness yet, and I feel a bit unsure about him being on someone's lap (car is a large 4WD). So that was another reason.

The sort of carrier I have seen is one that has a wire door and a removable top; that means he'd be safe in the carrier and you could take the top off so he had a bed.

Edit:

YES! The vari crate was exactly what I'd just seen :). That was what I was thinking of.

Edited by SunnyCoastCav

Had small vari crate to transport puppy from plane to home and on a few trips via car initially when she was only 9 - 14wks and too small for car harness.

Then she had sudden growth spurt and although height at shoulder was suitable for this crate head height wasn't so it was off to buy next size up as we need a vari or similar due to frequent interstate air travel.

I have 2 medium K9 brand soft crates one cost $110 other 2nd hand $55 plus freight on both. older dog introduced to soft crate at 4yrs old, pup almost from day one 9weeks, no chewing, no attempt whatsoever to destroy as we only did small sessions where front was zipped up and initally both dogs were in together - they are canvas and are HOT in QLD during warmer months.

I recently purchased a "quick fix" fully collapsible solid wire crate from Sam's warehouse for $40 it has side door and front door which I have permently zip tired shut. This metal crate is so light and has removable PVC floor base I throw in a snuggly rug and have 2 attachable food/water bowls (on side of cage so cannot be stood in or knocked over etc). This crate was medium size and comfortably fits my mini poodle- 36cm at shoulder 51cm to top of head, and my silkyX -29cm at shoulder 39cm to top of head, as well.

My friends 2 KCS were in it together recently when she went to set up her own crates it was a bit cramped but to give you idea of size it is perfect for one KCS.

It fits in back cargo area of daughter's Nissan 4WD easily and fits on my sedan's back seat where I loop seatbelt around to keep it stable. Personally I found any crate, even the small vari was too heavy to try and carry with a dog in it, so when we go to airport I just walk dog on lead into foyer area of freight section and then she happily goes into crate and onto scales etc.

This metal crate in a purpose made canvas bag now lives collapsed in boot of my car and when we go visiting to non dog households or anywhere I need emergency containment out it comes I am very happy with this item and for such a resonable price. if you want a super deluxe heavy duty galvanished zinc alloy one in a party colour you can get one when you decide how often you will use and if you will use etc as they are very expensive.

Edited by zeebie

I recently bought the 30" black crate from here for my Japanese Spitz. Check with the breeder if a Cav will fit in the smaller 24" one but I doubt it. My crate only weighs 6.5kgs so is easy to move around. They also have the galvanised one with the steel tray on special as a sell out at a cheaper price.

Oz Grooming World

I would never consider a soft crate in the Qld heat. If you have ever been inside a screened tent in hot weather you would know why. Just way too hot.

Hmm. I will have to think, look around and see what Im going to need. Thank you for all your help, it's very much appreciated for a newbie!

Soft crate is definitely out, I will decide between getting a hard carrier or a crate, but I may end up getting both down the track.

Edited by SunnyCoastCav

Guest Labradork

I have a soft crate and a metal crate. The soft crate is for trips in the car and the metal crate is for bedtime.

ETA

Sorry, I didn't see that you live in QLD. Personally, I would get a metal crate because they have better airflow (as other posters have mentioned before me).

Edited by Labradork

For bedding with a baby puppy, I use polar fleece. Go down to Spotlight, lincraft etc and buy it by the metre for about $5/m. It is nice and soft, can be nice and warm also and is very light weight.

Best of all, if there is a mess, it is VERY easy to wash and clean. By the time the washing machine as spun dried it, it is nearly dry. Whereas blankets and mattresses can take ages to dry. I also do not like to use padded mattresses with baby puppies as they tend to like to chew and if they discover the filling - it is all of a sudden snowing in your place. I will use padded mattresses later on once they learn crate and/or are not real chewers.

I agree with the other others regarding wire/PP40/PP20 crate for baby puppy. If in the warmer months, I will put in a well wrung out wet towel in the crate which they can lie on to keep cooler. Once the pup is crate trained, then certainly look for a soft crate for when you are travelling. I personally would not be using a soft crate to secure for travel, as they cannot REALLY be secured nor your pet in them by their pure design in your vehicle. At least with a wire crate, it can be more firmly secured in your car and the animal is much more contained within it.