Leaving Pup Home Alone.

SunnyCoastCav

What type of dogs so you have Teebs? I have a Cavalier (8 weeks old) and really, they're not an "outside" dog, he will not be crated during the day, and only in his pen when i leave the house. I am home a lot, with a secure yard but I do have to leave the house as I have a teenage daughter who has a busy life and we all need to eat.. I also live in Queensland, we have heat, toads, snakes and ticks to think about, And even secure, dogs can still be stolen from yards, especially a friendly dog like a Cav. Yesterday, my puppy had several good runs in the backyard, chasing leaves, toys, and myself, I've started reinforcing basic training like I did with my first Cav, he has not had one accident in the house as he's been regularly taken outside, he had a good sniff, listened to the other dogs around our house bark etc. We live near plenty of beaches so once he's vaccinated he will be off there too, as well as lots of walks, and I am thinking of training him perhaps to be a therapy dog or a bit of junior showing for my daughter.

Now you know the whole situation. Please don't be judgemental - not everyone just wants to plonk their dogs in the back yard, some want them as companions, as dogs are meant to be.

(See what I did there?)

Thanks to those who have given me helpful advice.

Leaving dogs in the backyard when you go out doesn't make one a bad owner. Mine would love to be outside when I wasn't home, unfortunatly they are too stupid and have to be inside for their own protection. Both mine love sleeping in the sun, even in hot weather, but they are black pugs so being hot isn't a grand idea and they can't be trusted to NOT sleep in the sun, so I have to leave them inside. If I could block off my yard so it was only shaded (and safe from people throwing things over the fence etc as I live on a corner block), I'd leave them outside when I was at work, but I can't.

So don't imply people who "plonk" their dogs in the yard don't care about them. I'd prefer my dog "plonked" out in the fresh air with room to run and play, rather than cooped up in a house all day. Either way they are alone, not being companions (as dogs are supposedly meant to be).

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Cavalier (8 weeks old) and really, they're not an "outside" dog,

:) it depends... I had friends who had several cavs. obedience trialled, from memory ..when home , these ran around outside most of the day ..chased the birds away from precious grape vines, wandered with the cattle ... rode on the quadbikes ... and were very happy & healthy dogs :)

What type of dogs so you have Teebs? I have a Cavalier (8 weeks old) and really, they're not an "outside" dog, he will not be crated during the day, and only in his pen when i leave the house. I am home a lot, with a secure yard but I do have to leave the house as I have a teenage daughter who has a busy life and we all need to eat.. I also live in Queensland, we have heat, toads, snakes and ticks to think about, And even secure, dogs can still be stolen from yards, especially a friendly dog like a Cav. Yesterday, my puppy had several good runs in the backyard, chasing leaves, toys, and myself, I've started reinforcing basic training like I did with my first Cav, he has not had one accident in the house as he's been regularly taken outside, he had a good sniff, listened to the other dogs around our house bark etc. We live near plenty of beaches so once he's vaccinated he will be off there too, as well as lots of walks, and I am thinking of training him perhaps to be a therapy dog or a bit of junior showing for my daughter.

Now you know the whole situation. Please don't be judgemental - not everyone just wants to plonk their dogs in the back yard, some want them as companions, as dogs are meant to be.

(See what I did there?)

Thanks to those who have given me helpful advice.

Wow. That's rude and judgemental in itself.

My dogs are in the back yard when I'm not home and they are certainly treasured companions. Although I guess "plonking" them out there makes me a bad owner?

I know they're happier out there than locked inside a house where, as teebs said they would have no chance in a house fire or the like.

Edited by Aussie3

Wow. That's incredibly rude. My dogs are in the back yard when I'm not home and they are certainly treasured companions. I know they're happier out there than locked inside a house where, as teebs said they would have no chance in a house fire or the like.

yes.

Obviously if the weather is freezing and wet , or very hot or a dog is unwell ..indoors is a good spot . :)

Wow. That's incredibly rude. My dogs are in the back yard when I'm not home and they are certainly treasured companions. I know they're happier out there than locked inside a house where, as teebs said they would have no chance in a house fire or the like.

yes.

Obviously if the weather is freezing and wet , or very hot or a dog is unwell ..indoors is a good spot . :)

Totally. Ours stay inside if the weather is foul and when we get home they are raving lunatics :laugh:

Right.

I see that me reacting to rudeness that was directed at me in the first place is causing me to be under attack. Well, that's fine folks. I have a good vet now, and I think I'll be getting my advice from him, rather than this place, which like some forums I've encountered tends to have a gang mentality. You all seemed to have missed the "see what I did there" to demonstrate that I could use sneering and judgement like Teebs did.

Im leaving my dog indoors, that's the best place for him while I'm out, and that was all I wanted to confirm.

I also never used the word "dumped", and one thing I can't stand is hypocrisy and rudeness which this place seems rife with. I was hoping to show off some photos of my treasured pup (the nicer ones had asked) but I won't bother now.

Right.

I see that me reacting to rudeness that was directed at me in the first place is causing me to be under attack. Well, that's fine folks. I have a good vet now, and I think I'll be getting my advice from him, rather than this place, which like some forums I've encountered tends to have a gang mentality. You all seemed to have missed the "see what I did there" to demonstrate that I could use sneering and judgement like Teebs did.

Im leaving my dog indoors, that's the best place for him while I'm out, and that was all I wanted to confirm.

I also never used the word "dumped", and one thing I can't stand is hypocrisy and rudeness which this place seems rife with. I was hoping to show off some photos of my treasured pup (the nicer ones had asked) but I won't bother now.

I didn't see anyone be rude to you, until you decided to declare that everyone who "plonked" (your words) their dogs outside were bad owners :shrug:

No gang mentality there. Just a "say rude things, expect to be called out", just as in the real world.

Guest donatella

I would most definitely not be leaving an 8 week old cav outside alone for a million reasons the main being theft, heat and danger.

I will never leave mine outside alone, never ever ever ever. They are locked in safe behind closed doors where they belong for their own safety.

Yes, I understood that Sunnycoastcav - just haven't had time to post and I do steer clear of "General" because some sort of pack mentality does seem to operate :cry: :cry:

You sound like a great dog owner and your puppy will be fine with the time and arrangements you have indicated

Hope you enjoy your engagements leading up to Christmas - your puppy will be happy and safe at home in their pen

My male standard poodle (all 30 kg of him) would be very distressed if I wanted to leave him outside during the day - he dislike flies and is terrified of march flies - it would be an act of cruelty to leave him outside . I don't think it is up to others to make blanket judgements about how we house out animals. :mad :mad

Meanwhile.. back on topic.

SCC, being left alone is all part of the "training" every pup needs to learn. You certainly don't want to end up with a dog that is distressed when left by itself and now is the time to start the process.

So, he has a play, has a meal if one is due, and then a toilet stop, into his pen and "see ya"!! Same thing when you get back.. "hello puppy, lets get you out of there for a pee and then its business as usual". Starting with shorter periods of time and working up to half a day or so is a very good idea.

I would strongly discourage continued feeding by hand. Put the meal in a bowl, in the pen and leave the pup to it. 10 minutes later, remove the bowl and nothing more until the next meal. This is also a training process and sometimes our anxiety that our pups are getting everything they need can get in the way. Missng a few meals really won't hurt him.

My personal view is that the ideal arrangement for a dog like this would be a dog door into the back yard so that he can come and go at will. Locked gates will see to his security. He'll get some exercise, be able to toilet and be able to have a sunbake on a nice day to get his Vitamin D all with no real effort from you! He will also be a little self sufficient and that can be very useful if he has to be minded at any stage. That way if life gets in the way and you're late home or delayed, he doesn't suffer. As for leaving your dogs "safely" locked indoors I'll share one of my little nightmares with you... "house fire". :(

FYI, few vets have any real experience with dog training. Don't expect golden advice from that source.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Yes, I understood that Sunnycoastcav - just haven't had time to post and I do steer clear of "General" because some sort of pack mentality does seem to operate :cry: :cry:

You sound like a great dog owner and your puppy will be fine with the time and arrangements you have indicated

Hope you enjoy your engagements leading up to Christmas - your puppy will be happy and safe at home in their pen

My male standard poodle (all 30 kg of him) would be very distressed if I wanted to leave him outside during the day - he dislike flies and is terrified of march flies - it would be an act of cruelty to leave him outside . I don't think it is up to others to make blanket judgements about how we house out animals. :mad :mad

But it's ok for the OP to judge people whose dogs are outside???? Hypocritical much?!

Dog doors do not prevent snakes

True. But snakes aren't an issue where I live.if they were, I'd be using netting. Horses for courses.

I'd argue the presence of a dog barking at the fenceline is about the best thief deterrent you can get and there's plenty of research to support that.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

I will just keep my screen doors closed thanks, snakes are welcome to travel through our yard (2.6 acres) - just not via my house! :eek: My dogs are taken outside several times per day with supervision

Edited by frufru