Leaving Pup Home Alone.

SunnyCoastCav

My Cav pup Cody arrived in our home on Monday. First night, he had two whimpering sessions. Second night, not a peep. At night he sleeps in a pen inside the house with wee pads (now replaced by butcher paper), plenty of toys and adequate water. He has not had an accident in the house. I take him out to toilet after he's woken up, had a drink/food or between longer wake periods. During the day he sleeps in his bed either in his pen or in the lounge room if I'm in there. He's eating OK (poos have been fine, no runs), he has a play outside and seems to be very happy so far. I leave him in different parts of the house for short periods and he has not fretted.

Question is, I have to leave him on Friday and Saturday for a couple of hours for commitments that were booked long before he arrived. I want to leave him for the shortest time possible, so does anyone have any tips to make sure he's OK? I have a PP40 sized carrier and am wondering if I should also introduce this within his pen.

Thanks.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say with Kenzie I spent quite a bit of time with her and tried to only leave her for short periods as a baby and I don't know if this has really worked to my advantage in the long term. Hamish different story, I spent 2 days leaving him for short periods (got him on a Friday night), then was back to work doing 1/2 days for 2 days and by the Wednesday/Thursday he was having full days on his own - that was just how it had to be because of my work. But, he is so tough and resilient and copes so well with being on his own and I'm pretty sure it's because I started him out like this straight away.

Your pup will be fine!! It sounds like they've settled really well as it is so far. Don't worry about it, leave him with some things to keep him busy like a chewy or something. The set I had for Hamish was his crate (as a bed) and then a pen attached (probably like your playpen) where he had his water, toilet spot and toys.

Puppies are much tougher than we give them credit, if you are consistent with what you do they adapt really well!

His pen is wire, 36 inches high (8 panels), and I will make sure there are things up against it. There are baby gates blocking off the bedrooms and one half of the house. I'm not sure how he could "get out" also, but you never know! Due to being in Queensland, I didn't want to shut him in a small room, where he is is well ventilated and on tiles so its cool. I didn't want to crate him yet as he's quite active, but as I said earlier, perhaps I should try introducing his hard carrier as a kennel within his pen? He has lots of chewy things, plenty of water and a blanket and toy from his breeder. I'm leaving him in his pen while I work around the house for short periods today also.

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't leaving him "home alone" too long. Lots of functions/dance concerts coming up! I also have to wait for my daughter at dancing and that may mean I have to leave pup for three or for hours - he will not be in a crate, but in an open pen inside the house. Crating I think will come a bit later. Also, wondering what size I should get for an adult Cavalier? I think a 30 inch was recommended. As mentioned earlier, he has a PP40 sized hard carrier which I may start introducing as a inside kennel as well.

He will not be an outside dog at any stage.

Edited by SunnyCoastCav

I don't have much to add but just in regards to the crate, it's probly a good idea to get pup used to the crate early, just using it for rest times etc, even just with the door open so puppy knows it's a nice happy place and safe for him. My oldest one was never crated and now if he has to be in a cage at the vets he just goes berserk. I never seen a need to crate any of mine till my youngest came along and the crate was a god send. Good luck with your puppy.

Any photos?

I measured my PP40 crate and its almost as big as the wire crate size recommended for a Cav. O.o. Is there any point in me having both?

And yes, photos soon, as soon as I can get to a computer and upload them to photobucket, which I don't really like XD

Edited by SunnyCoastCav

If he's perfectly happy in his playpen don't worry about confining him to the crate right now. You could put it in his playpen & put his bed inside if you wanted to, but make sure he'll go in before you leave him and make sure the door is either removed or firmly fixed open.

Also, the little beastie is not eating from a dish, but he will take food by hand. He eats very well when I do that but not from his dish.

I must say for a boy he is the most delicate eater XD

I know it's normal for them to go off their tucker when they first go into their new home, and they'll eat when they're hungry. He's currently on Advantage puppy kibble (moistened) and tinned food with a little sunflower oil as per the breeders instructions. I've tried a few different dishes but he'll daintily lick at it and then just move away and look at it. He's done plenty of poos since he's been there (no runny ones, in fact a little firm although I offer plenty of water).

I'll try putting him in his pen and leaving him there with his food. 20 minutes I'll remove it and try again a bit later (hour or two?)

Oy XD

Also, the little beastie is not eating from a dish, but he will take food by hand. He eats very well when I do that but not from his dish.

I must say for a boy he is the most delicate eater XD

I know it's normal for them to go off their tucker when they first go into their new home, and they'll eat when they're hungry. He's currently on Advantage puppy kibble (moistened) and tinned food with a little sunflower oil as per the breeders instructions. I've tried a few different dishes but he'll daintily lick at it and then just move away and look at it. He's done plenty of poos since he's been there (no runny ones, in fact a little firm although I offer plenty of water).

I'll try putting him in his pen and leaving him there with his food. 20 minutes I'll remove it and try again a bit later (hour or two?)

Oy XD

Eat something in front of him first, even just a biscuit. Then put the bowl on the ground and walk into another room. Do not enter the room for 10 minutes. Then go in. If he is still eating, leave him to it. If not pick it up and take it away until his next scheduled meal time. You are teaching him that he can eat anything he wants, however he wants. He needs to know that you are in charge of food. That you will offer him food at regular intervals, but it is up to him to eat it. NO healthy dog will starve themselves to death. They will eat if you provide the right environment and give them the leadership to know that you decide on food, not them. Should be being fed 3, maximum of 4 times per day. Those times need to be consistent.

In terms of leaving him alone, the key is to not make a big deal out of it. Do not say good buy. Do not greet him when you get home. Make sure he is in the pen for a minimum of 5 minutes before you leave, and when you get home, before you have any interaction with him. You coming and going needs to be normal. If you make a fuss of him it gives him something to fear. Ignore it all and it becomes the norm. However do make sure you play with the pup to help tire him out, then put in the pen for a good 5 - 10 minutes before you leave. When you need to leave, just go, do not say goodbuy or do anything else. When you get home, make sure you do other things in the house for a good 5 minutes before you have any interaction with him. If he is whining or carrying on, do not interact with him, until he is silent for a few minutes. If possible get him into the habit of you going out the door you will be leaving by, just go up the road, around the corner or the like and come back in, as though it was nothing at all. Being in the house, while in different rooms is a good start it does not equal leaving him. Make sure when you do go into other rooms that you close the doors. An open door, but out of sight is very different to a closed door out of sight.

I would have left him alone by now anyways

when i got kaos and Atlas i went to work (10 hour days) the monday after i got them. It was their new life so they had to get used to it. In the back yard, water, food, toys and shelter. they were safe and fine

i find people who do the slowly slowly way end up sometimes having dogs that have issues with being alone.

I like knowing that if something happens and i cant get home that my animals will cope for a day or two without me (only ever happened once when i was away and OH had a breakdown at work and couldnt get home) dogs and cats were fine. No one stressed

As for food, put it in the bowl, give him 10 mins and take it off him, offer again at next feed time

I would have left him alone by now anyways

when i got kaos and Atlas i went to work (10 hour days) the monday after i got them. It was their new life so they had to get used to it. In the back yard, water, food, toys and shelter. they were safe and fine

i find people who do the slowly slowly way end up sometimes having dogs that have issues with being alone.

I like knowing that if something happens and i cant get home that my animals will cope for a day or two without me (only ever happened once when i was away and OH had a breakdown at work and couldnt get home) dogs and cats were fine. No one stressed

As for food, put it in the bowl, give him 10 mins and take it off him, offer again at next feed time

x1

I think I'm going to crate him at night and put him in a pen during the day when I have to leave him. That way, he has the security to sleep at night in a cosy den, and the pen allows him to be confined during the day but he can move around well also.

The PP40 sized carrier can be used for travel and visiting etc.

I have noticed that opinions regarding crating/leaving a puppy alone are quite strong and diverse. I can definitely see a place for crating at night.

Edited by SunnyCoastCav

I believe in crating. My dogs have all been done, until toilet trained, but unless medically needed there Is no way I would use it during the day.

Dogs are dogs. They need to run And roll in dead things and do dog stuff - even if that's sleeping in the sun all day.

I could never lock a dog up in a crate or puppy pen during the day unless I didn't have a secure yard....but if I didn't have a secure yard I wouldn't get a dog

What type of dogs so you have Teebs? I have a Cavalier (8 weeks old) and really, they're not an "outside" dog, he will not be crated during the day, and only in his pen when i leave the house. I am home a lot, with a secure yard but I do have to leave the house as I have a teenage daughter who has a busy life and we all need to eat.. I also live in Queensland, we have heat, toads, snakes and ticks to think about, And even secure, dogs can still be stolen from yards, especially a friendly dog like a Cav. Yesterday, my puppy had several good runs in the backyard, chasing leaves, toys, and myself, I've started reinforcing basic training like I did with my first Cav, he has not had one accident in the house as he's been regularly taken outside, he had a good sniff, listened to the other dogs around our house bark etc. We live near plenty of beaches so once he's vaccinated he will be off there too, as well as lots of walks, and I am thinking of training him perhaps to be a therapy dog or a bit of junior showing for my daughter.

Now you know the whole situation. Please don't be judgemental - not everyone just wants to plonk their dogs in the back yard, some want them as companions, as dogs are meant to be.

(See what I did there?)

Thanks to those who have given me helpful advice.

Lol.

I had a bull terrier and sbt. So you don't need to talk to me about the risks of dogs being stolen.

No comment on the dumping the dogs In the back yard. I know my dogs have a better life being out there when I'm not home then they ever would being locked In the house. I also know that if there is a fire they won't be locked inside with no chance (cats have an outside cat run they can get into)

Anyways, I've dumped my dog in the back yard with a huge meaty bone for the day and have an appointment to go to.