Anyone Have A Dog I Can Date

oneteaspoon

Now I've got your attention let me explain.

I'm a 25 yr old female living on the Mornington peninsula in Vic. I still haven't fully recovered since the passing of my Cavalier King Charles Spaniel in 2005. I'm ready for a new dog but I live with and care for my mum who is ill and in a unit with a small backyard and I think she is afraid whilst I'm at uni/work she will have to do everything. I try explain I will be responsible, walk, bath, feet and take to the vet however she still isn't keen. A friend of mine just bought one home one day whilst her mum was away on business and I'm sure my mum will adapt and love it (she loves my turtles now) but something is holding me back.

Ok why am I writing this. I'm looking for a dog that I can date. Take for a walk, play, buy presents for and so on. I am after a Labrador, retriever, rotti, spaniel something of the sort, I'm open minded.

So you don't think I'm going to runaway with your dog I can provide a drivers license so you know I'm not suss.

I really just want companionship, and to enjoy having some time with mans best friend again as I really miss it.

Let me know if you or someone you know could use someone to look after their pooch, take for a walk and play with. No strings.

ps. I am sorry to all the breeders who got my email as well as I only found this forum after doing so.

Have you thought about volunteering at a local shelter? I am pretty sure the dogs there would love the companionship etc. :) that way you still get your doggy 'fix', your mum won't have to worry and the shelter dogs win too.

Guest donatella

Why don't you ask your mum if you can foster a dog to see if she likes the idea?

That way you get doggy love but not the long term doggy commitment.

Have you tried letterboxing your area and offering a dog walking service? If you want to do this - it would help to mention how old you are and what times would suit you for dog walking.

A lot of old or frail people would probably be very happy to have someone walk their dog for them. And busy mums. Or you might be able to link up with a rescue or foster carer to help them with their dogs. They can be prone to one dog too many syndrome. Beware of the failed foster dog tho. That's the one you can't bring yourself to give up so you end up keeping it.

Even tho I live in a different house in a different burb to my mum - she was very upset when I got a puppy. All my siblings - have at one time or another dumped their dogs on her and she thought I'd do the same. A bit dumb really - or she would have been dealing with a very ancient horse for about 7 years if I was likely to do that.

I've contacted the RSPCA on multiple occasions and they require you to attend information sessions that are fully booked months in advance and need you to sign a contract like thing and to commit to at least a weekly visit.

I see their point however you always here that shelters need more help and it's not like I would just pop in, I would ring in advance to see if they needed me.

Starting to think I should change careers from a food technologist as I love animals and want my own hobby farm with pet cows and many dogs!

oneteaspoon - where abouts in Vic are you (approximately)? Forum members may know some small, local shelters that you may be able to assist. These shelters often need help in terms of transport (to/from vet, to/from other shelters), too, so you may be able to help in a number of ways.

I have PMd oneteaspoon and we may be able to arrange some "up close and personals" at the very least with our Rottis. :)

Well done for helping a lonely doggy person. :thumbsup: I know how hard it was for me the 2 years after I lost my Kenny, until I could get another dog. I was lucky enough to borrow the dogs from my neighbours & became the resident doggy sitter.

Is Coldstream too far for you? They (Animal Aid) have volunteer doggie walkers.

Mornington Peninsula is a long way from Coldstream.

I know the distance. I asked if it was too far for the OP. I regularly go from that area to the Mornington Peninsula.

I run a dog rescue group on the Peninsula and can always need help. Walking, bathing transporting. I am sure I find a dog for you to spoil

WOW, that sounds perfect, I hope the OP takes you up on that. :thumbsup:

Sounds like a wonderful opportunity. :thumbsup: Local and a win/win situation for all.

Hope to see you on Sat morning, ots. :)