We Have A Problem

As the title says, we have a problem with Jasper. He is now just over 4 years old, and seemingly recovered from his bout of pancreatitus thank goodness, he has started weeing in the house. He did this a couple of times before his attack. It doesn't occur all the time and there are times that I can foretell he will lift his leg against one of my pot plants or furniture and I immediately stop him. He has doggy door access and this has always worked well. I am just wondering if he is doing this because of Elliot, our 8 month old mini who we haven't neutered as yet. I would like to wait until he is between 12 and 18 months old. Is there anything I can use to stop him doing this? Thank goodness we have a fully tiled floor. I must add that when I clean up, I don't make a big deal out of it, I just do so without a word.

As the title says, we have a problem with Jasper. He is now just over 4 years old, and seemingly recovered from his bout of pancreatitus thank goodness, he has started weeing in the house.

He did this a couple of times before his attack.

It doesn't occur all the time and there are times that I can foretell he will lift his leg against one of my pot plants or furniture and I immediately stop him. He has doggy door access and this has always worked well.

I am just wondering if he is doing this because of Elliot, our 8 month old mini who we haven't neutered as yet.

I would like to wait until he is between 12 and 18 months old.

Is there anything I can use to stop him doing this?

Thank goodness we have a fully tiled floor.

I must add that when I clean up, I don't make a big deal out of it, I just do so without a word.

Re-train for House Training

House Training *

House training your puppy should start as soon as you get your puppy home.

Allow 5-15 minutes for the puppy to go to the toilet. Praise good results and then take the pup inside.

Young puppies should be taken out during the night as they don’t have the bladder control to hold on overnight until 14-16 weeks of age. So a few weeks of broken sleep will follow the arrival of a new puppy.

Puppies will toilet after eating or drinking so take the puppy outside immediately after meals. Be patient and make a fuss of the puppy when its finished its business. Dogs also prefer to toilet on rough surfaces so take the puppy outside when it moves onto a carpet. Other signs to watch for are the tell-tale posture for evacuation. When the puppy assumes this position, it needs to go outside

Dogs will not soil their den so the use of a crate to minimise inside accidents and train the puppy can be helpful. Set the crate up as a bed and this can then be used to put the puppy in when you can’t watch it or during the night while you are asleep. The crate could be the puppies bedroom if you like, where he can go when he wants to be left alone but it must not be used as punishment.

Never scold a puppy for soiling inside. It will merely train them to soil inside when you are not watching. It is important to regularly take the puppy outside, reward soiling outside and minimise inside ‘accidents’. The puppy will then learn that it needs to go outside. It you catch your puppy soiling inside don’t scold it, but in a hurried voice pick the puppy up taking it outside saying ‘outside’ or whatever command you choose to instruct your puppy to go to the toilet. Then reward the puppy.

*taken from my dogs website.

Yes, housetraining revisited. Maybe give him a bit more general attention too and enrol in dog training classes if you don't already do so....so you build up more understanding between you.

This may help if he is feeling a bit threatened by the other dog....also desexing the other dog may help too.

If appropriate you could try using a belly band on him.

Thanks for the replies. I just want to point out that Jasper is not feeling threatened by the pup or has UTIs. They adore each other snuggle up together more often than not and look out for each other. They have a mutual respect for each other too. The pup knows his place and if need be by some chance, we make sure he does. Jasper is always first to be attended to because no matter what, Jasper is always No. 1. I want to keep the pup entire for at least 12 months so he can mature physically, but there is no question that he will be neutered. I'm just thinking that Jasper is marking to keep his little 'brother' in the know that he is top dog. To me he will always be that. Is there any product that I can use to stop him marking?

There is no magic product, only training. As leader you need to restrict priviledges and enforce the rules.

Sorry, I'm not quite sure what you mean. All in all, Jasper is a good boy and listens to and does what is asked of him, so I am at a loss to understand what privileges you may be referring to. When I catch him starting to lift a leg, which is not that often, he is told no and he stops immediately. I am not always there so I can't stop him 100% of the time.

There is no magic product, only training. As leader you need to restrict priviledges and enforce the rules.

Sorry, I'm not quite sure what you mean. All in all, Jasper is a good boy and listens to and does what is asked of him, so I am at a loss to understand what privileges you may be referring to. When I catch him starting to lift a leg, which is not that often, he is told no and he stops immediately. I am not always there so I can't stop him 100% of the time.

I'd restrict his access to the rooms unless you are there to watch him, so you CAN stop him 100% of the time.

I'd restrict his access to the rooms unless you are there to watch him, so you CAN stop him 100% of the time.

Open plan living.

Open plan living.

Crate, or leash.

You could have him checked for a UTI but if its behavioural you may need to start his housetraining all over again.

yep. You've also got a new male puppy, no? If so, I'd suggest that he is marking, rather than weeing in the house.

He has only just recently started to do this. I would say about 3 weeks ago. Up until then he has been very reliable in the house. I wonder if this could in some way be related to him having a a seizure on a Sunday morning and then the following Tuesday come down with a pancreatitus attack. My vet seems to think that the seizure and attack could be related.