Dog Parks

kiesha09

A friend of mine got a new puppy recently and now that she has had all her shots and everything we organising a play date. One location suggested was a dog park. Now I'm really not a fan of dog parks purely because my two dogs are not confident with 'in your face' type dogs and the majority of owners seem to take their dogs to these parks as a big free for all with no structure to interactions. This is probably because most have no recall.

My friend was very surprised by this and thinks I am being over protective. I disagree with this and believe it is more to do with the fact that I understand dog body language and behaviour better than she does but obviously I'm not going to say it like that.

She has a very 'delicate' breed of small dog and I really think it is unwise to take her dog to the dog park but it is obviously her puppy so her choice.

I do want to explain to her further my reasonings, but perhaps I'm not explaining it properly. So often dogs are left to their own devices and dogs get bullied and stressed. Doesn't sound like fun for the dog to me.

So what are your reasonings for not taking your dog to dog parks?

I just don't feel comfortable about being around dogs I don't know and near me people just don't seem to have a clue so I will not risk it.. I drive past my local one and they stand in a group with their backs to the dogs chatting away..

I hear too many stories.. I did a search the other day as a friend wanted me to meet her at one and I found myself in a forum for a few different dog parks and the stories were dreadful re attacks .. Maybe find some of those and show your friend esp scary for a small delicate breed and not to mention only being a puppy :-(

I think it depends where you live. I go to our local dog parks a few times a week have had very little incidents with idiot owners, there have been a couple but in 6 years that's not bad. In the city however each time we have been there has been an incident of some kind and its mainly people not being mindful of their dogs and letting them run riot among other dogs. Some people just don't get it!

Edited by tlc

I like them, but with the right dogs and owners. My dog is an in your face type. Basically he loves everybody and because he finds other dogs SO rewarding his recall isn't perfect (though we're working really hard on it and he's getting better with more off leash time with other dogs). Because of this I'll only let him off with certain dogs that he and I know, who don't mind his play style, or if I've talked to the other dogs owners first. He's slower than everyone else so most dogs don't mind him because they can tease him and run away. Although he's an in your face type and at 70kgs that can intimidate other dogs, he is very gentle, even with the smallest dogs. His hearts is the right place. :laugh: If someone brings a smaller timid dog into the park while I'm there, or someone comes in with a timid dog they're keeping on a leash, then I'll put my boy back on the leash, because he doesn't seem to read other dogs back off signals very well. I do always step in if another dog is not wanting to play and he hasn't realised.

Because not everyone will behaves like I do, you don't need to defend not liking dogs parks. They are not going to be the right thing for every dog at all. My boy loves them and it's been useful for him to spend more time off lead with other dogs. Now that it's a more regular thing, his recall is getting better and better too. It works for me. I'm careful about it, but we do enjoy it. It's not something I'd want to do with every dog, and I didn't at all with my last dog.

Edited by Aphelion

In a nutshell? Because you place the safety of your dog in the hands of others ability to read and control their dogs.

If the pup is monstered, flattened or attacked, chances are your friend will be the only person who will act to protect it. How good is she at wrangling other people's dogs? How good will she be at extracting that pup from the middle of a bunch of dogs?

Big dogs running at speed and small puppies don't mix well. there doesn't even have to be any bad intent for her dog to be injured.

And I don't call a baby puppy constantly on its back submitting to larger dogs very good socialization. I hope the park has large and small dog sections at least.

Tips for dog parks.

Stand outside for a while and observe the other dogs and owners, if any dog bothers you wait till they leave.

If your dog becomes uncomfortable at any time, leave.

Don't be afraid to protect your own dog and upsetting the owner, i happily pull off any dog who thinks its ok to hump my dog, if they continue i tell the owner to do something about it or i leave.( or both) :laugh:

I havn't been for a while as i get fed up with becomming 'the crazy dog women" when i was there. :laugh:

After today, I won't be returning to one. I stopped by at a fenced dog park with my tibbies when out for our walk. I have a reactive tibbie so do not generally go to dog parks but this one was completely empty this morning with not a soul in sight. However, soon after someone came along with a few small dogs. I put the tibbies back on lead to leave the park but had trouble getting out as the other dogs were at the gate barking at us which then wound mine up! Getting out felt like walking the plank!!! Not saying the owner of the other dogs did anything wrong but we will be staying clear of dog parks as even exiting the parks can be tricky. Plus the dogs did nothing in the park but sleep under the bench (not even a zoomie)!

We have had a very different experience to others at the dog park.

My boy was the 'in your face' dog - he wanted to say hi to everything that came into the park.

We have spent many months working on this (and we still are).

We now have a set group that he plays with. We do meet others but mostly it is the same group at the same time each week for up to half an hour.

His time running free is limited and as soon as he even looks like he is getting over excited or his recall is not straight away, he is removed from the park. We go home. I know his limits and we play within them now.

NOT all owners who take their dogs to dog parks are totally clueless.

There are some really nice parks around and some really nice owners and dogs...

I do agree that dog parks attract a lot of clueless people - but go at different times and different days to work out when is the best time.

We go between 7-8am on Saturday or Sunday for about half an hour and lucky for us, these days it is nearly always the same people.

We take our dogs to dog parks, beaches, markets and cafes, whenever possible. The vast majority of the people are terrific and they and their dogs have a great time. We run classes and show people how to handle themselves so they can walk the streets and have fun in the parks - There is a lot to be said for creating the education to make this a positive experience.

The more the dog fraternity complain the more rules the councils will end up bringing in to restrict dogs in public places. We should all be trying to help people enjoy their dogs not being so negative.

Edited by alpha bet

Guest Labradork

I take my Lab to a cricket oval at the end of my street. It isn't an off-lead park, but in the past two months I have only seen two people there with their dogs (who were both leaving as I arrived). I would leave straight away if anyone turned up with their dogs.

There is also a Parks Victoria reserve down the other end of my street. It has bush walking tracks but dogs are only allowed on-lead. And then there is the beach, which is my favourite place to take my Lab. It is usually empty of people early in the morning when I go. It's nice to go for a walk at sunset, but there are often a few families with little kids (it's a bit of a touristy area), so I put her on the lead then.

Puppy of a small delicate breed - no way ever. As has already been pointed out, even if the other dog doesn't mean any harm at all it's too easy for a small delicate puppy to be seriously injured by a dog that's really not that much bigger (so it doesn't have to be a big vicious pib-bull attack, a boisterous Cocker Spaniel could break an Italian Greyhound puppy for example...)

Perhaps your friend needs to go to the dog park at the time they intend to do so without the puppy and have a look at the natives :laugh:

Dogs get banned from public places due to the behaviour of irresponsible dog owners who fail to control or pick up after them.

IMO it would be irresponsible NOT to caution the owner of a tiny breed baby puppy about dog parks. Not much "enjoyment" to be had when your pup is scared witless, injured or dead.

When people don't give a toss about the enjoyment of anyone's dogs but their own, you have to caution those whose dogs will bear the brunt of any trouble.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

We take our dogs to dog parks, beaches, markets and cafes, whenever possible. The vast majority of the people are terrific and they and their dogs have a great time. We run classes and show people how to handle themselves so they can walk the streets and have fun in the parks - There is a lot to be said for creating the education to make this a positive experience.

The more the dog fraternity complain the more rules the councils will end up bringing in to restrict dogs in public places. We should all be trying to help people enjoy their dogs not being so negative.

Thanks everyone your reasons are EXACTLY the same as mine. There is just no control over what other people and their dogs do.

However, alpha bet I do agree with you about educating people to make it a positive experience. Having said that there are just so many people that don't pay attention to their dog and when I ask them to call their dog away from mine they say 'nah just let the dogs work it out' or 'your dog needs to play with more dogs so it gains confidence' so until they put in the effort to educate themselves I'm steering clear.

The puppy is an Italian Greyhound so you can imagine why I think she should steer clear.

The puppy is an Italian Greyhound so you can imagine why I think she should steer clear.

OMG - can't think of a LESS suitable breed for a dog park. She should steer clear of occupied dog parks FOR LIFE. Small, fragile, fast - likely to inspire prey drive in quite a few dogs and they can snap a leg at home on their own.

If she needs further convincing and she bought from a responsible breeder, tell her to ask the breeder what he/she thinks. They'd veto the idea on the spot.

OMG - can't think of a LESS suitable breed for a dog park. She should steer clear of occupied dog parks FOR LIFE. Small, fragile, fast - likely to inspire prey drive in quite a few dogs and they can snap a leg at home on their own.

If she needs further convincing and she bought from a responsible breeder, tell her to ask the breeder what he/she thinks. They'd veto the idea on the spot.

Yep exactly, really have to have a convincing argument so she truly understands. I really don't want the puppy to end up dead.

The puppy did come from a breeder but I have a bad feeling about how reputable they are :( Might tell her to ask them anyway.