The Ultimate In Dog Therapy

zeebie

I think that possibly this university may have had a two fold agenda in creating this "puppy play" area.

We are only being given the "Good news" story by the media.

But it is very interesting to have read all the comments both negative & positive that have been put forward on the topic :)

My thoughts are that this particular setting may indeed be part of a students PHd study, or a collective study, and possibly attached to the psychology department, no mention is made as to where these puppies are sourced from etc. And the fact that only 'puppies' are being utilised tells me that this is all about monitoring student (and or others) who come in contact, make themselves available to volunteer in this area, or those who visit either regularly or once only etc.

The puppies may also be part of an experiment to see if multiple human interaction produces a more social puppy as opposed puppies who remain untouched and 'unloved' by humans in their early beginnings. This could indeed be a longitudinal study following these pups from birth through adulthood etc. the following is an example of a particular study on puppies, the second link (attached file)is an example of study done using a 'cute' robotic dog to guage human animal emotional response.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2327247/

There is a well documented psychological trait known as "The Baby Bias" which I feel this social experiment is definately modelled on :D

Edited by zeebie

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dogs deserve to be given therapy too. I've seen some dog services offered that offer to pamper your dog like give them massages and stuff like that. It's actually great, but pricey. However, if you feel like your dog deserves it, then go ahead. It's really not a bad thing. Ridiculous, maybe. :D

Actually, my psychiatric and psychologist both suggested I get a dog as part of my therapy - and they are used in therapeutic settings so you may mock it, but its not uncommon.

No ones claiming it "cures" anything, but heaven forbid people get some happiness out of something.

My Doctor & therapist both wrote letters to the Office of Housing, when I was needing a home, saying that it was imperative, that they gave me a place where I could have a dog, to help with both my physical & mental health recovery.

I can't believe anyone on this site, is disputing dogs are fantastic for aiding in peoples therapy.

Actually, my psychiatric and psychologist both suggested I get a dog as part of my therapy - and they are used in therapeutic settings so you may mock it, but its not uncommon.

No ones claiming it "cures" anything, but heaven forbid people get some happiness out of something.

My Doctor & therapist both wrote letters to the Office of Housing, when I was needing a home, saying that it was imperative, that they gave me a place where I could have a dog, to help with both my physical & mental health recovery.

I can't believe anyone on this site, is disputing dogs are fantastic for aiding in peoples therapy.

Nobody is.

But don't let the facts get in the way of cluster brain freeze.

Now I'm having trouble getting my head around someone needing a charity home would have the hide to demand it was imperative a dog was included in the deal?...good grief.

There's untold amounts of people waiting untold amounts of years for "social" housing.

Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth.

More ridiculousness.

1354768951[/url]' post='6043774']
1354764075[/url]' post='6043708']
1354530914[/url]' post='6040890']

Nobody is.

Now I'm having trouble getting my head around someone needing a charity home would have the hide to demand it was imperative a dog was included in the deal?...good grief.

There's untold amounts of people waiting untold amounts of years for "social" housing.

More ridiculousness.

I'm curious to know if you're always so joyless.

Actually, no I'm not.

Edited by Sheridan

I have one word for Jerry. :coffeesplurk:

But I leave you all to guess what it might be. :noidea: :D

Off to read some real world stuff! :bolt:

Does it live under a bridge. :laugh:

Hmm, I dunno if a homeless person would really be here on DOL ... :bolt:

One can use a laptop anywhere these days. :)

Nobody is.

More ridiculousness.

Actually, no I'm not.

I'm curious if the gang here ever replies to opinions contrary to theirs with anything other than childish sarcasm.

Acually, no I'm not.

Nobody is.

More ridiculousness.

Actually, no I'm not.

I'm curious if the gang here ever replies to opinions contrary to theirs with anything other than childish sarcasm.

Acually, no I'm not.

I just hope that when you get older, you don't suddenly find yourself with an incurable medical condition, that ends your ability to work & totally turns your world upside down.

I'm guessing you think that instead of needing a dog to love & help me cope with the sudden lifestyle change, I should have topped myself, (which is something I considered, after losing my heart dog during that time), just so I didn't take up "charity housing". :swear:

Mantis, I'm so glad you are able to have a dog again after all you've been through. :)

And jerry lee, as for any 'gang' here, there are plenty of diverse views on DOL. Perhaps you are just in the minority on this particular view?

We're not a gang?

I work on building sites, and one supervisor insists I bring Reggie to work whenever I have one of his jobs. Says it always makes his day and turns a horrible day into a good one even if he only gets to play with her for 5 or 10 minutes.

I don't see anything wrong with that. thumbsup1.gif

Mantis, I'm so glad you are able to have a dog again after all you've been through. :)

And jerry lee, as for any 'gang' here, there are plenty of diverse views on DOL. Perhaps you are just in the minority on this particular view?

Obviously I am, but why should that make me a target for sarcasm & vilification?

My opinion is a puppy hugging room at a major university for stressed out students is ridiculous.

I could see the topic had turned into septic so I just let it go & stopped replying to the questions.

But some just enjoy a good lynching & playing to the crowd & so it was reignited , not with any genuine opinions, but with more childish sarcasm.

It only takes one & the mob floods back to the cause with their flaming torches.

Pretty sad.

& to Mantis.

If I ever do find myself in such a situation I hope I have the good grace to accept the help offered me without making demands to the providers of apparently desperately needed help.

& you don't know anything regarding my situation so don't make uninformed assumptions.

I think it's a great idea.

There have been huge periods in my life where I know the only thing that kept me going were my pets.

If I didn't have animals to play with I dont think I would have copped.

I know many people in housing department homes who have letters from doctors etc saying they must have their pets with them. If it helps someone out then who really cares?