The Ultimate In Dog Therapy

zeebie

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a great idea, Dogs as therapy is so good for reducing stress levels. WIsh they had something like that when I was studying. The benifits have been proven by therapy dogs with sick and elderly why not students! :thumbsup:

Whats so ridiculous about that ???

Having done therapy visits to nursing homes, repat hospices and childrens wards for almost 10 years now I know that the dogs get as much out of it as the people we visit with do. It is one of the most rewarding things I do with my dogs and the people we have met and the stories I have heard about their lives have enriched mine thats for sure.

Hey.... it's such a good idea why not broaden the scope.

A doctor performing a particularly stressful operation, heart transplant maybe, could just knock off for 1/2 hour to play with a puppy to get his mojo back.

A soldier in a firefight could call a ceasefire....to play with a puppy....ditto the police.....good grief

The possibilities are endless.

The firies could take a break for a stress relieving puppy play time.

Brickies stressed by the heat could play with a puppy....there's a plan.....carpenter hits his thumb with his hammer....roll out the puppy.

Hey....how about students at uni stressed by a lecture could wimp out & play with a puppy & all the stress would just go away & then they would be ready to face the real world.....IPad in one pocket....puppy in another....in case of emergencies.

when they weren't on campus.

Of course they could just knuckle down, get on with it & then kick back, relax, play with a puppy once the doings have been done.

Like real people would.

Therapy dogs for aged, sick & infirmed are little different than young,fit & healthy uni students who aren't confined & who may, but probably don't attend lectures all day everyday.

Edited by jerry lee

Whats so ridiculous about that ???

Having done therapy visits to nursing homes, repat hospices and childrens wards for almost 10 years now I know that the dogs get as much out of it as the people we visit with do. It is one of the most rewarding things I do with my dogs and the people we have met and the stories I have heard about their lives have enriched mine thats for sure.

Same, my girls love visiting and the receivers are very appreciative of their visits. I've noticed too that the staff love the visits and tell us it makes their day too when we come in and they can have a pat of the dogs.

Jerry lee, did you get out of bed on the wrong side this morning?

I get your point, Mr Lee.

BUT what do you know about the homes of the students?

Do you realise that many are living away from home and from their own pets? That many (like I did as a student) have issues in the home that are creating stress above and beyond the studies?

And yes, they will kick back - and kick up - once it is over. Hopefully they will not also kick into the alcohol as they often do. In "my day" it was the LSD. And more than one came to grief jumping out of windows.

If it teaches a few young people that there are alternatives stress management techniques, then good on them I say!

:D AND the Collies look gorgeous!

Hey.... it's such a good idea why not broaden the scope.

A doctor performing a particularly stressful operation, heart transplant maybe, could just knock off for 1/2 hour to play with a puppy to get his mojo back.

A soldier in a firefight could call a ceasefire....to play with a puppy....ditto the police.....good grief

The possibilities are endless.

The firies could take a break for a stress relieving puppy play time.

Brickies stressed by the heat could play with a puppy....there's a plan.....carpenter hits his thumb with his hammer....roll out the puppy.

Hey....how about students at uni stressed by a lecture could wimp out & play with a puppy & all the stress would just go away & then they would be ready to face the real world.....IPad in one pocket....puppy in another....in case of emergencies.

when they weren't on campus.

Of course they could just knuckle down, get on with it & then kick back, relax, play with a puppy once the doings have been done.

Like real people would.

Therapy dogs for aged, sick & infirmed are little different than young,fit & healthy uni students who aren't confined & who may, but probably don't attend lectures all day everyday.

A fair number of uni students stay either on res or rent/share an apartment which doesn't allow pets, so they can't go home at the end of a hard day and relax with a puppy.

Good idea, sort of. But I'd much rather see adult dogs used rather than puppies. As in the Ogden Nash ditty:The trouble with a kitten's that, Eventually it becomes a cat.It's not good to encourage love of puppies that doesn't extend to love of adult dogs.

What about the poor stessed out students that don't like dogs, that maybe have a dog phobia?

So as they are not discriminated against will a kitten cuddling room be made available.

How about the horse lovers? Do they get a horse nussling booth?

God help them if an enrolled Indian mahout is stressed out because he misses his elephantt? :)

What about the poor stessed out students that don't like dogs, that maybe have a dog phobia?

So as they are not discriminated against will a kitten cuddling room be made available.

God help them if an enrolled Indian mahout is stressed out because he misses his elephantt? :)

I presume that students aren't being forced to destress via puppy so I'm not sure why you're objecting.

I presume that students aren't being forced to destress via puppy so I'm not sure why you're objecting.

Some people will find fault in anything, perhaps they need some puppy therapy themselves!

Objecting?

Expressing an opinion isn't necessarily objecting.

Opinion.

It is bloody ridiculous that a puppy hugging station should seen as a necessary crutch for those who fail the the first test of life in the real world.

Actually, before they even experience the real world.

If they can't handle the stress of preparing for their future, what sort of a future do they have?

''Life wasn't meant to be easy".....Pall Bearer

What's the next move if a puppy happens to bite one of these stressed future ''leaders''?

The mind boggles.

Objecting?

Opinion.

It is bloody ridiculous that a puppy hugging station should seen as a necessary crutch for those who fail the the first test of life in the real world.

If they can't handle the stress of preparing for their future, what sort of a future do they have?

What's the next move if a puppy happens to bite one of these stressed future ''leaders''?

The mind boggles.

It doesn't say it's for people who can't handle the real world O_o

Everyone gets stressed, it's a fact of life. I think teaching kids healthy coping mechanisms is better than not teaching them any, and haveing them go off and find their own ways of dealing with stress, with alcohol or drugs or cutting themselves, or self-medicating in any other way.

If talking to someone, even if it is a dog, helps them, then how is that a bad thing?

Objecting?

Opinion.

The mind boggles.

Okay, whatever.

I don't know where it said the University thought this was a necessity? Rather a "let's give this a go if it might help some students."

Why is University not counted as the real world? You do realise those are human beings, yes? With actual emotions and all the problems that go along with them? Just because someone is young, it doesn't mean they have it easy. And likewise, just because someone is old, it doesn't mean they're more hard done by.

Again, I saw this as the University adding something beneficial - not the students stamping their feet, demanding puppies, or else they'd fail.

Just because it's quoted, doesn't mean it makes any sense. Who the hell said life isn't meant to be easy? If you think that, maybe you should just give away your worldly possessions and go live out in the sticks?

I'll wait for the "Puppy Adorably Mauls Student" headline.