Need Some Info On Breeding (stupid Byb)

tandn

Some standards for some breeds could do with a little tweaking - so breeding to a standard sometimes isn't all it's cracked up to be either... but a dog with a great or predictable temperament is one that most people would prefer for a companion animal, yes?

A really well bred dog will have big plusses in temperament AND conformation.

T.

Some standards for some breeds could do with a little tweaking - so breeding to a standard sometimes isn't all it's cracked up to be either... but a dog with a great or predictable temperament is one that most people would prefer for a companion animal, yes?

T.

I would have thought temperament would have fallen under the 'standard' category? Just out of curiosiyt- which breeds do you think could use 'a little tweaking'?

Yes my question too. Which bits of which standards specifically do you think need tweaking?

And as has been discussed in threads on temperament before, it depends what you mean by temperament. What is correct for one breed will not necessarily be correct for another. It doesn't make either generally good or bad, just incorrect when displayed in the wrong context and vice versa.

Edited by espinay2

T.

I would have thought temperament would have fallen under the 'standard' category? Just out of curiosiyt- which breeds do you think could use 'a little tweaking'?

Some of the brachy breeds spring to mind...

Then again, I'm a pet owning person, and not interested in showing... or breeding for that matter.

I'm not trying to start an argument - just voicing an opinion about MY OWN preferences is all.

T.

T.

Then again, I'm a pet owning person, and not interested in showing... or breeding for that matter.

I'm not trying to start an argument - just voicing an opinion about MY OWN preferences is all.

T.

I'll point out that as a rescuer, it's possible you don't see a lot of well bred dogs.

Most puppy farmers are unscrupulous persons who deliberately breed dogs with the expectation of returning a profit.

Most ANKC registered breeders don't.

If you believe that you believe in Santa Claus.

The differece being, most ANKC registered breeders do respect their breed & value their reputations & do breed quality puppies.

Viva le difference.

Yep but sometimes respecting the breed isn't all its cracked up to be either and covers a multitude of sins .Id like to think that at the end of the day anyone who breeds dogs has a base desire to do whats best for the dogs and its better for the dogs if part of it all is that they are predictable and that is the ONLY thing that a registered purebred breeder can ever automatically be assumed to be doing over any other.

I not real sure what you are getting at?

Are you saying temperament is the only thing that matters?

Or at the very least, it's the most important?

Surely not?

Respecting the standard is respecting the breed. Without the standard there is no breed.

Temperament is just one small part of the whole.

Predictable as in everything,size, management, grooming needs, etc etc etc including temperament - it is after all why we breed purebred dogs - is it not ?

I'll point out that as a rescuer, it's possible you don't see a lot of well bred dogs.

... in rescue, I may not see many "well bred" dogs - but I've been around a bit longer than the past 5 years (which is only how long I've been in rescue)... I'm not just the sum of my rescue involvement you know... *grin*

T.

So is it the standard that you dont like, ie how it is worded in the standard specifically, or is it the individual dogs themselves. The two things are VERY different. This is what I am trying to understand (not making a judgement on your views, just interesting to hear other people's as it all contributes to learning). Can you identify one standard and what it says that you personally think could be worded better?

T.

Good question.

"Tweaking" has rendered some breeds almost unrecognisable to the dogs the standards were written from.

Bugger the "tweaking"...breed to the standard.

But it is getting further off topic than I intended.

Puppy farmers is the topic.

I was asking the question what is the difference between a non ANKC memeber punching out litters as opposed to an ANKC member doing exactly the same thing?

The majority of ANKC registered breeder/exhibitor "puppy farmers" do produce quality dogs is all.....IMO.

T.

T.

I would lke to know too. As the owner of 2 (maybe) brachy breeds, I would like to know the "public" perception of them, and what they think needs tweaking. Just curious, but everything we can know makes us better.

T.

T.

I would lke to know too. As the owner of 2 (maybe) brachy breeds, I would like to know the "public" perception of them, and what they think needs tweaking. Just curious, but everything we can know makes us better.

I have two (unrelated) pedigree pugs, from very good lines, and neither of them have breathing issues. The general perception of pugs and breathing issues comes from poorly bred BYB pugs which are exceptionally common.

Max was hooning around like a lunatic the other day in humid 27 degrees, and would lay down in the water bowl to cool off before going back to make the other dogs chase her. Most of the other pugs there were hyperventilating just sitting in the shade not moving.

Just to clarify again are we talking about the written standard, or the physical dogs. These two things, in this context, are VERY DIFFERENT. The original comment was about the standard (I.e. the written words ) and NOT about the manifestation of that standard ( the dogs that breeders have produced which may or may not be a subjective interpretation of the written word ). Or that was my understanding. Which is why I ( and others) would like clarification of what in particular in the written words (not in actual dogs being produced by breeders) needs tweaking. Or is it really just the interpretation that is the issue and are the words themselves fine?

Just to clarify again are we talking about the written standard, or the physical dogs. These two things, in this context, are VERY DIFFERENT. The original comment was about the standard (I.e. the written words ) and NOT about the manifestation of that standard ( the dogs that breeders have produced which may or may not be a subjective interpretation of the written word ). Or that was my understanding. Which is why I ( and others) would like clarification of what in particular in the written words (not in actual dogs being produced by breeders) needs tweaking. Or is it really just the interpretation that is the issue and are the words themselves fine?

I agree, interpretation and trends are very different to the actual written Standard for a Breed, many dogs are also produced by "breeders" who have never read the Breed standard.