Those With A 7d

Cougar

I know a few of you have the 7d, I was just wondering how you find it in low light? I am hoping to upgrade at some point in the future and think this is what I'd like. I know its super fast and has an excellent auto focus system but wasn't sure of its low light capabilities. I'd be coming from a 500d , if that is helpful :)

I think it is pretty good but if you are wanting to take lots and lots of pictures in low light you might be better with the 5D, its more expensive but might be worth it if you need it. To get good performance in low light from the 7D you do have to push the iso up a fair bit and depends what your shooting if you use a tripod a lot and can use a slower shutter speed you wont need to have the iso as high. But also depends if your subject is moving or still. Lots to consider. I found it a real learning curve going to the 7D, finally got the hang of it now after 6 months. Be prepared to do lots of reading and shoot shoot shoot. I could have just left mine in Auto but was determined to learn it front to back and now I'm shooting in A and full Manual mode. It is super fast which is great for the dogs running and sports etc. I took some netball photos in the evening and they turned out quite good considering the sun was going down. Anyway good luck with your new camera.

Thanks for your replies so far :) ideally what I want is the low light performance of the 5dii (well actually the nikon that huga and snook have!! So awesome) but with the speed and autofocus of the 7d - 5diii is just not an option due to price.

I guess I feel like I've outgrown my current body and am looking to make the next step. Too many good choices out there! Canon are not making this an easy choice...

How high have you pushed the iso on yours tlc, before it starts getting too grainy? Just out of curiosity :)

Edited by Cougar

I have pushed mine pretty high but only to see what it is like, but I have a very bad habit of pixel peeping or viewing my images at 100% to see the quality and it is awful, If I could take every shot at iso 100 I would :laugh: but obvioulsy you need to go higher in low light. The 5D mkii's have come down heaps in price since the iii has come out but if you need speed it won't do it.

Maybe we could post some shots here that we have taken in low light and you can check them out?

Edited by tlc

I've been thinking about this thread, I guess the low light thing is also going to be dependant on the lens your shooting with. If you have a fast one then you wont need to bump your iso up as high if you can shoot wide open, once again depends on the situation. I just had a squiz of my netball shots and it was late evening and all were shot with iso 100 but I used my 100mm lens and was shooting wide open on Av Mode so still plenty of light getting in. Had I have only had a slower lens say my Sigma 17 - 70 then I would have had to bump up the iso heaps to get the same result which would have added more noise to the shots. Anyway I think you will get what I am getting at.

Very hard to compare the cameras that huga and snook have as the full frame will win out everytime with low light. If its really what you want why not keep saving and don't settle for a crop sensor? On the plus side the speed is awesome!

And this is where it all turns into swings and roundabouts for me! The sigma 17-70 is what I shoot with most, also use the 50mm 1.8 and the kit 55-250mm. So I have considered new lenses but then is it worth it if I do want a full frame in the future? Considering its really just a hobby, the full frame prices are a bit high for funsies.

The upshot is I want new things! Like all of us I suspect ;)

Your 50mm will go n a full frame but your other two won't probly something to keep in mind with buying new lenses. I don't use my 50 much on the 7d mine just doesn't seem compatible and it's not me as its fine on the 650D just not the 7D.

I got the 40mm and it's terrific, good in low light and much better built than the 50 1.8 IQ probly similar but my 7D seems much happier with the 40 on it.

I've only had my 7D since July and already Imwant the 5D :rofl: wishful thinking at this stage!

I don't use my 7D much in low light, but have dug out some that were at high-ish ISO.

The 5Dii unfortunatley isn't renowned for its AF speed or acuracy, which are good on the 7D. The main thing (as Huga always says) is that if you get the exposure right, then you can push the iso higher - something I'm still learning :laugh:

Recently we had a flock of Carnabys come round and had to bump the iso then as it was about 6:40pm.

Settings: 1/500 ƒ/3.2 ISO 3200 200mm

8233576881_dd565d5898_z.jpg

Settings: 1/640 ƒ/5.6 ISO 1600 200mm

8233576963_810b303687_z.jpg

Settings: 1/320 ƒ/4 ISO 1600

7995722878_6dd46b9229_z.jpg

Settings: 1/125 ƒ/3.5 ISO 4000 38mm

7621191396_31fcd659f4_z.jpg

Your 50mm will go n a full frame but your other two won't probly something to keep in mind with buying new lenses. I don't use my 50 much on the 7d mine just doesn't seem compatible and it's not me as its fine on the 650D just not the 7D.

I got the 40mm and it's terrific, good in low light and much better built than the 50 1.8 IQ probly similar but my 7D seems much happier with the 40 on it.

I've only had my 7D since July and already Imwant the 5D :rofl: wishful thinking at this stage!

That is interesting tlc - I thought it was me.. I have the 50mm 1.8 and although I loved using it on the 400D, I don't like using it o the 7D..

Mine seems to look for focus all the time, even if I am not doing anything with it, its hunting, its like its got a mind of its own. I also was missing so many shots as it seeded to struggle to find the focus even though it was clear to see what I was focusing on. Very strange and like I said on the 650 not a worry!

Here is some I took this evening, I didn't push it as it was still very light but all shade,

A comparison between iso 100 and 1600

This one was iso 100 40mm f4.5 1/30

file-616.jpg

This one was iso 1600 40mm f4.5 1/640

file-794.jpg

This one iso 640 40mm f4.5 1/640

file-1449.jpg

This one iso 100 40mm f4.5 1/25

file-1382.jpg

What I prefer to do when possible is still keep the iso as low as I can and use a slower shutter if possible, I think the one are 1/25 is not bad for hand held. I usually have not go a real steady hand and anything under 1/60 will be blurry, but I got myself a hand strap and I think this has helped with steadiness. Also it is awesome for holding the camera with one hand which is vertually impossible otherwise as I am using back button focus and the weight of the camera is a challenge with one had and bbf.

Thanks for those pictures. They're better than I had expected :) I'm surprised to hear you say that the 50mm doesn't work that well on the 7d though, that's not great news for me. I like my 50mm!

Thanks snook, I read your threads about making the brand switch and the low light performance on your camera is just excellent. I guess the full frame body plus lenses makes it quite $$$, whether it was canon or nikon.

And tlc, i do not need to hear that you'd already like a 5d!! It does just make me wonder whether it is better to save longer, be patient and wait.

Not really any closer to any decisions but I appreciate your responses. Be nice if photography wasn't such an expensive hobby!

I'm surprised to hear you say that the 50mm doesn't work that well on the 7d though, that's not great news for me. I like my 50mm!

Thanks snook, I read your threads about making the brand switch and the low light performance on your camera is just excellent. I guess the full frame body plus lenses makes it quite $$$, whether it was canon or nikon.

And tlc, i do not need to hear that you'd already like a 5d!! It does just make me wonder whether it is better to save longer, be patient and wait.

Not really any closer to any decisions but I appreciate your responses. Be nice if photography wasn't such an expensive hobby!

With regards to the bolded bits - I've been using my 50mm 1.4 a bit more recently and it is a great lens, and no issues with it on my 7D at all. Also I have had my 7D for nearly 2 years now and have no desire to upgrade yet - still lots to learn with it, it's one heck of a camera :D Personally I like the crop format for macro and birds :)

CC your right about the crop factor for wild life etc, you get a bit more reach which is great.

Annie, I shoot in jpeg, so it could be that with my 50mm, I was int he camera shop today and the guy said to me just shoot with manual focus. I am not good with manual but would prefer the 40mm anyway so it's not really an issue anyway.

Those are lovely RV, great start with the 7D :thumbsup:

I had another quick play when I got home with the 50mm, natural light but overcast outside, 3 at iso 3200 and one at 6400 :)

eta - urgh looks like I need to calibrate my big monitor again, these look too cold on my other screens :o

Settings: 1/640 ƒ/4 ISO 3200 50 mm

8265957853_8f3c5d8876_z.jpg

Settings: 1/400 ƒ/4 ISO 3200 50 mm

8267025778_9463644bb6_z.jpg

Settings: 1/500 ƒ/2 ISO 3200 50 mm

8265957727_094190a013_z.jpg

Settings: 1/500 ƒ/2.8 ISO 6400 50 mm

8265957599_36b54c854e_z.jpg

Edited by CrazyCresties

Thanks rallyvalley and CC, they're great shots! Better than I had expected maybe - my 500d is not much good over 800, can go to 1600 at a push but starting to get too noisy for my liking.

Oh I just want new things! Your shots have me thinking that the 7d might be just fine :) Now if I can just convince my husband....

Thought I'd pop a couple more in here, This is my cat Holly, I snapped these in my office, no light on and it was very dull, I have tweaked the exposure in LR to make them a little lighter.

iso was 3200 f2.8 1/40 100 Macro lens

file-2338.jpg

file-1344.jpg